Chubby Boy Scouts Need Not Apply

I use the word.....you didn't know it.....

So it seems I've taught you a new 'word of the day.'

You're so petty and so obvious.

Not a world of difference learning a word from you or toilet paper.

You insecurities are really showing.

What is the 'toilet paper' reference?
Are you disparaging books?

And why are you so sensitive to the fact that my vocabulary is more extensive
than yours?

Oh....right....'cause you're a dope.

"Any damn fool can be complicated. It takes a genius to be simple, but great." Woody Guthrie.

This is a subject I can speak with some authority. I've been a registered adult Scouter for over 10 years and attended the National Jamboree as an Assistant Scoutmaster in 2005 and 2010. I served on our Council's Jamboree Committee for the 2013 Jamboree. The BSA has always had health and safety restrictions. These are well known by anyone wanting to attend. They are well known, well in advance. In 2010, we had to deny a kid who was a wide as he was tall because he did not avail himself of the opportunity to lose any weight in the 2 years leading up to the event. The BSA also has well known restrictions for all of their High Adventure Bases like Philmont, Northern Tier and Seabase. Expecting a 350 lbs, 5'6" kid to carry a 50 lbs pack on his back up and down mountain trails at high altitude is a recipe for disaster. Previous Jamborees were held at Fort AP Hill in Virginia where it is relatively flat and because of size of venue, had shuttle buses to move people around. Even with that, the BSA came under heavy criticism in 2005 because of all of the heat related injuries.....to the point that the military threatened to quit providing support. Changes were made for 2010 that helped. Now with the Jamboree having a new life time home at the Summit in WV, the health and safety rules apply even more. The terrain is more rugged than at AP Hill. The events are more high adventure based, so more streneous and there are no motor vehicles allowed inside the footprint of the Jamboree. That means everyone walks 5 to 10 miles a day. They are climbing, rappeling, white water rafting, etc. While the BSA is currently being criticized for discriminating against "fat" kids, imagine if one of those kids died of a heart attack while trying to climb a rock wall. The media would have a field day. Truth is, the BSA has always had health and safety restrictions and this is old news. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. BTW, the absolute BMI cutoff was 40.......which is pretty damned rotund.

Edited to add, there are absolutley no weight restrictions or disability restrictions for membership in the BSA. The restrictions apply to these national activities where people like me are taking your kids halfway across the country to participate in an activity that requires you be fit for your own safety.

Last edited:

than yours?

"Any damn fool can be complicated. It takes a genius to be simple, but great." Woody Guthrie.

Well, you certainly are the former.

The latter.....we'll agree to disagree.

than yours?

You are the one sensitive and insecure. Your name calling proves it.

Oh....ow....oucch......don't say that!!!!

It hurtttttttssss!!!!

Waaaaaaaaa.....

Now...see what you made me do!

You're still a dope.

I use the word.....you didn't know it.....

So it seems I've taught you a new 'word of the day.'

You're so petty and so obvious.

than yours?

If my memory serves he's a fake Irish dope.

This is a subject I can speak with some authority. I've been a registered adult Scouter for over 10 years and attended the National Jamboree as an Assistant Scoutmaster in 2005 and 2010. I served on our Council's Jamboree Committee for the 2013 Jamboree. The BSA has always had health and safety restrictions. These are well known by anyone wanting to attend. They are well known, well in advance. In 2010, we had to deny a kid who was a wide as he was tall because he did not avail himself of the opportunity to lose any weight in the 2 years leading up to the event. The BSA also has well known restrictions for all of their High Adventure Bases like Philmont, Northern Tier and Seabase. Expecting a 350 lbs, 5'6" kid to carry a 50 lbs pack on his back up and down mountain trails at high altitude is a recipe for disaster. Previous Jamborees were held at Fort AP Hill in Virginia where it is relatively flat and because of size of venue, had shuttle buses to move people around. Even with that, the BSA came under heavy criticism in 2005 because of all of the heat related injuries.....to the point that the military threatened to quit providing support. Changes were made for 2010 that helped. Now with the Jamboree having a new life time home at the Summit in WV, the health and safety rules apply even more. The terrain is more rugged than at AP Hill. The events are more high adventure based, so more streneous and there are no motor vehicles allowed inside the footprint of the Jamboree. That means everyone walks 5 to 10 miles a day. They are climbing, rappeling, white water rafting, etc. While the BSA is currently being criticized for discriminating against "fat" kids, imagine if one of those kids died of a heart attack while trying to climb a rock wall. The media would have a field day. Truth is, the BSA has always had health and safety restrictions and this is old news. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. BTW, the absolute BMI cutoff was 40.......which is pretty damned rotund.

Edited to add, there are absolutley no weight restrictions or disability restrictions for membership in the BSA. The restrictions apply to these national activities where people like me are taking your kids halfway across the country to participate in an activity that requires you be fit for your own safety.

Yep. I can attest to this. I did camp Barton for many years, and there were requirements of physical fitness for almost everything we did. It's about safety and insurance more than anything else.

than yours?

I am an American living in Ireland, and I have made you look like the dope.

than yours?

Before we leave the issue of vocabulary, let me make clear that I have proprietary ownership of the "d" words, dope, dim-wit, and dolt.
I believe I brought them to the board.

If necessary, I can provide a letter from the god Momus.

So...take care when you sling the 'dope' word.....or you'll be hearing from Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe, esq.

Before we leave the issue of vocabulary, let me make clear that I have proprietary ownership of the "d" words, dope, dim-wit, and dolt.

So...take care when you sling the 'dope' word.....or you'll be hearing from Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe, esq.

What a doofus!

What a doofus!

Another "d" word????

Everybody wants to get into the act!

Could you change idb to, like,...ipb....or iqb.....?

You need a new joke book.

I won't be needing it for long.....

....I hear you'll be a states witness in the Whitey Bulger trial....

What a doofus!

Another "d" word????

Everybody wants to get into the act!

Could you change idb to, like,...ipb....or iqb.....?

Ummmm.

Dandelion?

I won't be needing it for long.....

....I hear you'll be a states witness in the Whitey Bulger trial....

This could be truer than you realize. I knew and dealt with wiseguys in New York who you would have heard of.

Forum List

Back