Christopher Columbus achieved great things and will never be forgotten...

Don't be too happy brown people are taking over slowly.
BLOOD AND SOIL MOTHERFUCKER

So you a happy Nazi?

You accuse me of being a nazi as if that's a bad thing...
View attachment 153627

464.jpg

Go Play!!!

...and the people who are trying to tear him down are small and insignificant, with no accomplishments, and will be forgotten five minutes after they die.

Hell the ironic thing about your post is that you are really describing people like yourself- who somehow feel better celebrating Columbus.

Did Columbus 'achieve great things'? Well he didn't accomplish what he set out to do- find a cheap trade route to Asia.
He cheated his crew. He was a slaver. He tortured people. He cut off the hands of natives to force them to find gold for him. He was sent home to Spain in chains because of his abuse of natives.

Sure we can applaud the 'achievements' of murderous assholes- or we can chose to recognize how they changed history- but not pretend that they were some kind of heroes.

Pack all the accomplishments of all the indigenous people in the Americas and it doesn't add up to the accomplishments of one European explorer named Columbus.

Wow- so Columbus created more crops than corn, potatoes and cacao? Who knew.

That's right, if you hate Columbus, what you're really hating is the nation made possible by his discovery of this continent.

No, pointing out that our country has some truly evil things in its past, does not mean we hate it.

We have slavery and genocide in our past. These things happened. So we can either try to redeem our past sins, or we can try to justify them.

Just read a very interesting piece about him. It claimed he wasn't seeking fame or fortune but was bent on seeing Christianity spread to unknown and pagan lands. Also reports of punishing crew members for violating or raping natives.

He actually died a pauper.
I have read about Columbus too- among my favorite pieces of Columbiana is how he cheated his crew- he had promised a huge bonus for the first crew member who spotted land- and after a look out spotted land, Columbus then reneged- claiming he had actually seen it the day before(without telling anyone).

Another was his method to 'encourage' the natives to bring his gold- he would cut off the hands of those who didn't return with gold- and hang the hands around the neck- to 'encourage' the others.

Columbus was sent back to Spain in chains because of his incompetence and cruelty. And this is the man we now honor.

I grew up honoring him- and I recognize that he created a nexus of history- his actions changed the world- but he was no hero, no more than the conquistadors that conquered the Aztecs and Inca's and destroyed their civilizations were heroes.

Columbus needs to be looked at from a 1500 perspective

Natives were considered to be savages no better than animals. They were treated accordingly

Columbus was no worse than any of his contemporaries. I do not see many people of his day standing up for the rights of native people

I don't think we need to celebrate people because murder and slavery was considered okay when they were doing it.

There were those who didn't agree with Columbus's methods- which is why he ended up going back to Spain in chains.

Just read a very interesting piece about him. It claimed he wasn't seeking fame or fortune but was bent on seeing Christianity spread to unknown and pagan lands. Also reports of punishing crew members for violating or raping natives.

He actually died a pauper.
He shouldn't have screwed up the governorship of Hispania...

Natives were considered to be savages no better than animals. They were treated accordingly

Columbus was no worse than any of his contemporaries. I do not see many people of his day standing up for the rights of native people

I don't think we need to celebrate people because murder and slavery was considered okay when they were doing it.

There were those who didn't agree with Columbus's methods- which is why he ended up going back to Spain in chains.
That is who we are

We descended from a civilization that considered their values and religion superior to any other.

Frankly, it took us 450 years to move past those views

To look back at Columbus with a sense of superiority, we are kidding ourselves

That is who we are

We descended from a civilization that considered their values and religion superior to any other.

Keep in mind this: The Treaty of Tordesillas....the pope giving Spain and Portugal literally half the world each to own and control.....forget who already lived there.

He didn't discover anything..people were already here, they walked from Asia and Sailed from other parts way before Columbus.
I think it's time to recognize the real history of this land as did the kiwis in New Zealand with the Maories.

roflmao, you are a fucking idiot.

Columbus discovered the celestial navigational bearings to travel to and from the old world and new world.

For Jumpin Jack Jimminy's sake grow a fucking brain.

That is who we are

Keep in mind this: The Treaty of Tordesillas....the pope giving Spain and Portugal literally half the world each to own and control.....forget who already lived there.

This was imperialism. It lasted until the 1960s
European powers literally took over the world and robbed whole continents of their wealth

Columbus did not start it. He was just looking for money and a few natives were not going to stop him

Muhammed Ali was known to say, "thank god my grandaddy got on that boat" after seeing the kind of place africa was. Lot's of us are here because of all those so called evil white men. Think the native Americans the white explorers killed weren't vicious themselves and burned their captives alive sometimes? This was the history of mankind, so maybe stop trying to judge those that came before us and enjoy what this country has to offer. And for God's sake, let keep out the "religion of peace" guys (muslims) who will tolerate no other religion but their own.

Muhammed Ali was known to say, "thank god my grandaddy got on that boat" after seeing the kind of place africa was. Lot's of us are here because of all those so called evil white men. Think the native Americans the white explorers killed weren't vicious themselves and burned their captives alive sometimes? This was the history of mankind, so maybe stop trying to judge those that came before us and enjoy what this country has to offer. And for God's sake, let keep out the "religion of peace" guys (muslims) who will tolerate no other religion but their own.

Europeans stole the wealth of Africa...they still do
The minimal investment they made in improving the quality of life on the continent pales in comparison the wealth they stole from it

Muhammed Ali was known to say, "thank god my grandaddy got on that boat" after seeing the kind of place africa was. .

Actually, Ali never said that. George Foreman's manager said it, but it has been misattributed to Ali.

Muhammad Ali - Wikiquote

• Dinesh D'Souza, America: Imagine a World without Her (2014), Ch. 8. Most likely a misattribution. A Newsweek article at the time of the match attributed the quote "Thank God our grandpappies caught that boat!" to George Foreman's manager Dick Sadler. "It Takes a Heap of Salongo", Newsweek (September 23, 1974), p. 72.

Forum List

Back