Christmas Season: Will Hiring ease unemployment?

PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2009
America's Home Town
I'm predicting that for the month of november unemployment may not get as worse as it has for each of the last 10 months.

I know retail isn't a huge sector of the economy but many retailers do a TON of hiring starting in mid-october. I know when I was a retail manager many of the people I hired were either "temps" or part-timers so their numbers really wouldn't go to help unemployement.

That being said I still think we may see unemployment appear to be getting much better when novembers reports come out in december. The economic indicators do seem ripe for an increase in employment across many sectors not just retail.

Here is hoping things turn around in the next month or 2.

i dont see it....people arent shopping....most are worried about paying bills and having a job come this winter...construction is suffering badly....just think of all kinds of trades that puts on the ropes all winter....i wont be spending much for winter solstice....a good meal....a few gifts...but we are never ones to celebrate christmas in a big way....our big event is a combo that normally is celebrated on christmas eve....we will put on lights on a tree in the pasture....and decorate the mantle...but nothing big...

so i dont see a lot of seasonal hiring...but fortunately most are not scrooges like me

There's going to be a Christmas this year?

No I'm stealing it

Grinch.jpg

I wouldn't bet on it,

National Retail Federation -
snip,

How many employees do retailers typically hire during the holiday season?
Last year, retailers hired an additional 231,000 workers during the holiday season, a substantial drop from the 618,000 they hired in 2007. During the holidays, while some retailers were hiring seasonal workers, others were shedding full- and part-time jobs from stores and corporate offices. The retail industry has lost 770,000 jobs since January 1, 2008.

Some seasonal hiring will occur, but I don't think it will be anything like years previous to 2008, it will probably be closer to 2008 levels.

You really think part time jobs with no benefits at or near minimum wage is really going to do something for who are drawing more than that on unemployment?

Kmart did better last christmas season then the year before, if it wasn't for Sears they would probably being doing a lot better right now. I think you will see better numbers at the discount stores and terrible numbers at department stores. Macy's is like a ghost town here but I went to Walmart yesterday and it the place was nuts.

Yes...KittenKoder. I also sing the same song. Let all of us pray, to be saved from the recession. Good luck to all...including me.

I wonder if the people of Detroit will be waiting in line for their Obama money to pay for their kids' Playstation 4 this Christmas.

About 20 years ago I was working in a bank when some crazy welfare queen came in screaming about her $800 in bad checks that she had circulated at the mall. She admitted she knew she had no money, but when I told her that was against the law, she called me a "heartless bitch". Her kids needed a Christmas!

I think that was the day I officially became a Republican. lol

Last edited:
I'd be happily shocked if this Christmas season wasn't disappointing.

With 10%+ unemployment, not only are 10% of the consumers holding back, but the chilling effect of seeing so may people unemployed makes those still with jobs pensive that they may be next.

In my own retail business I am not seeing the traffic or sales I should be at this time of year. I am about where things should have been in Sep.
If things don't break loose after next week I will be looking at closing.
No, I don't think the Xmas season will be anything. When people have money they are putting it in the bank because they dont know if they'll have a job next month.

In my own retail business I am not seeing the traffic or sales I should be at this time of year. I am about where things should have been in Sep.
If things don't break loose after next week I will be looking at closing.
No, I don't think the Xmas season will be anything. When people have money they are putting it in the bank because they dont know if they'll have a job next month.

All of my friends (17) who have small retail establishments are not seeing any increase in sales and have no plans to hire additional staff. With most of them they are holding on to faithful employees through the Christmas season just so they do not have to lay them off before Christmas.

Eight other friends have closed their shops this year and have no plans to reopen. Some as young as their late forties have decided to retire and live off of what money they could salvage from the sale. That is called trying to save what little you have left.

As far as all of those friends can see, this is not looking to be a good Christmas season.

I'm predicting that for the month of november unemployment may not get as worse as it has for each of the last 10 months.

I know retail isn't a huge sector of the economy but many retailers do a TON of hiring starting in mid-october. I know when I was a retail manager many of the people I hired were either "temps" or part-timers so their numbers really wouldn't go to help unemployement.

That being said I still think we may see unemployment appear to be getting much better when novembers reports come out in december. The economic indicators do seem ripe for an increase in employment across many sectors not just retail.

Here is hoping things turn around in the next month or 2.

Yes hiring a few retail and shipping personnel for the holiday shopping season should slow the rate of increase in unemployment for a couple of months.
Amazon.com in Lexington, KY is hiring right now for packers/shippers and such. But it is going to be very slow.

I expect unemployment to go to around 11-12% by mid next year and to PERHAPS start dropping real slowly in 3rd quarter of next year. This is my most optimistic prediction.

Last edited:
Kmart did better last christmas season then the year before, if it wasn't for Sears they would probably being doing a lot better right now. I think you will see better numbers at the discount stores and terrible numbers at department stores. Macy's is like a ghost town here but I went to Walmart yesterday and it the place was nuts.

Before this all began I predicted Wally World and McDonalds would do fine.

I'd be happily shocked if this Christmas season wasn't disappointing.

With 10%+ unemployment, not only are 10% of the consumers holding back, but the chilling effect of seeing so may people unemployed makes those still with jobs pensive that they may be next.

And many still with jobs have had their hours reduced.
What is it 24 hours a week and you are "fulltime" employed?

Forum List

Back