Choose: Prosperity vs Redistribution

So when the Great Depression hit why did the American people call on Democrats for help rather than Republicans, and why then did the people elect FDR four times in a row, and why is FDR rated America's greatest president?

You can run, but you can't hide.
So saith the Brown Bomber

Why are you trying to hide the facts that I've revealed?

Oh...because you're a Roosevelt boot-licker.

So sorry....here they are again:

4. Franklin Roosevelt did his best to extend the economic downturn, and the only possible explanation is that he wanted a reason to obviate the Constitution. And he said as much.
But, here's the economic proof: he knew how to end the recession, swore to do so, and- once elected- did the very opposite:

The basis of FDR's 1932 campaign to win the presidency from Herbert Hoover was his emphatic promise to the suffering American people, that he would balance the budget. Of course, he also promised that he would use the government to create jobs, and that they "had a right to a comfortable living."
American Founders | The Heritage Foundation

5.The part about balancing the budget had a certain resonance as President Harding had veered sharply away from federal spending and solved as big a recession in about one year. Certainly Franklin Roosevelt knew this, as he hammered away at Hoover's spending. October 19, 1932, he nailed Hoover, observing that in recent years federal expenses had increased by $1 billion "and that I may add, is the most reckless and extravagant past that I have been able to discover in the statistical record of any peacetime Government anywhere, any time."
Franklin D. Roosevelt: Campaign Address on the Federal Budget at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

a. Roosevelt went further! The cause: "It arises from one cause only and that is the unbalanced budget at he continued failure of this administration to take effective steps to balance it! If that budget had been fully and honestly balanced in 1930, some of the 1931 troubles would have been avoided. Even if it had been balanced in 1931, much of the extreme dip in 1932 would have been obviated. Every financial man in the country knows why this is true."
Franklin D. Roosevelt: Campaign Address on the Federal Budget at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

b. And this: "... carrying out the plain precept of our Party, which is to reduce the cost of current Federal Government operations by 25 percent."
Ibid.
Yeah....he promised that...and that he'd make every cabinet member swear to it!

Guess what he did?

Roosevelt expanded the federal government and ran up deficits much greater than those of Hoover.

Soooo, as I stated:
Coolidge and the Republicans.....prosperity

Roosevelt and the Democrats......equalized poverty.

If you'd like me to prove that the authors of the economics texts you used were lying....I can certainly do so.

No you can't.

You appear to be intellectually incapable of differentiating between empirical research and ideological claptrap.

I apologize if I've offended you.

Watch me prove the Roosevelt authors outright lied:

1. Commager, Morris, Leuchtenburg....and the best known such historian, Arthur Schlesinger, Jr....all praise FDR.

2. According to another Liberal star, Arthur Schlesinger, and to the others, the evil industrialists of the 1920s kept pay low and prices high, so that workers didn't have the money to buy the products they were making.

a. "Managements disposition [in the 1920s] to maintain prices...meant that workers and farmers were denied the benefits of increases in there own productivity. The consequences was the relative decline of mass purchasing power."
Arthur Schlesinger, "The Crisis of the Old Order." Understanding Bushonomics | Center for American Progress

b. " Insofar as one accepts the theory that underconsumption explains the Depression, and I do, then one can say that the Presidents of the 1920's are to blame...."
"The FDR Years: On Roosevelt and His Legacy,"
By William Edward Leuchtenburg, p.210

BTW, Professor Leuchtenburg trained more New Deal historians than any one!

Lies meant to convince his captive audience... like you.

3. Now let's show that the provenance of FDR's failures were all based on Liberal lies.

I have said that, in order for the FDR's 'underconsumption thesis' to be true, these criteria must be met:

a. During the 1920s the rich had to be getting a significantly larger proportion of the national income. "... corporate profit resulting from this period was enormous..."

b. Employees must have been receiving a smaller share of corporate income. "... Very little of it went into increased wages; the worker was forgotten,..."

c. Consumers must have been consuming less of the GNP in the late '20s than in 1920. "... there was little or no drop in the prices that the consumer had to pay... The consumer was forgotten....."

Those quotes are all FDR's

Time to slice and dice the Liberal propaganda.

d. In 1921, the top 5% earned 25.47% of the nation's income...in 1929, the top 5%'s share skyrocketed all the way up to ......26.09%!!!!

e. Corporate profits? They averaged 8.2% from 1900 to 1920. But what about from 1920 to 1929??? They remained at 8.2%.
For those in Rio Linda, that means that there was no upsurge in said profits during the decade.

f. But what about employee wages during the decade of the '20s?? They rose...from 55% to 60% of corporate income.

g. Wait...what about the percentage of GNP that went to consumption? Bet it fell, huh? Wrong.
It rose from 68% in 1920 to 75% in 1927, 1928, and 1929.
"Coolidge and the Historians," by Thomas B. Silver, p.124-136, and Folsom, "New Deal or Raw Deal," p.34-35

You've been raised like a mushroom....kept in the dark and fed you-know-what.

Oh....and....I apologize if I've offended you.

Toro, I'm assuming there's no answer yet?

No, and there won't be.

I like PC, but you know her MO.

She'll keep regurgitating the same only partisan BS and linking to ideological websites without formulating an argument herself.

We've seen it so many times before.
Yup. Well, let me know. Otherwise, all this numbers and economics and money stuff is just way over my head....

:cool-45:

No, and there won't be.

She'll keep regurgitating the same only partisan BS and linking to ideological websites without articulating an argument herself.

There's not much point after this. Out.

"I like PC, but you know her MO."

My MO is to post facts.

Every post of mine is carefully linked, sourced and documented.

There is nothing in said post that is incorrect, or untrue....as you have found.

The Roaring Twenties was not the cause of the Depression.....Roosevelt was, and he intended it so.

No, and there won't be.

She'll keep regurgitating the same only partisan BS and linking to ideological websites without articulating an argument herself.

My MO is to post facts.

There is nothing in said post that is incorrect, or untrue....as you have found.

The Roaring Twenties was not the cause of the Depression.....Roosevelt was, and he intended it so.
So if the depression began on that magical date of 1929 and Republicans stayed in power until 1932, why didn't the Republicans balance the budget and end the depression? By the way how does balancing the budget end a depression?

No, and there won't be.

My MO is to post facts.

So if the depression began on that magical date of 1929 and Republicans stayed in power until 1932, why didn't the Republicans balance the budget and end the depression? By the way how does balancing the budget end a depression?

Is everything in my post 100% accurate and true?

Are the words of Franklin Roosevelt quoted correctly?

4. Franklin Roosevelt did his best to extend the economic downturn, and the only possible explanation is that he wanted a reason to obviate the Constitution. And he said as much.
But, here's the economic proof: he knew how to end the recession, swore to do so, and- once elected- did the very opposite:

The basis of FDR's 1932 campaign to win the presidency from Herbert Hoover was his emphatic promise to the suffering American people, that he would balance the budget. Of course, he also promised that he would use the government to create jobs, and that they "had a right to a comfortable living."

5.The part about balancing the budget had a certain resonance as President Harding had veered sharply away from federal spending and solved as big a recession in about one year. Certainly Franklin Roosevelt knew this, as he hammered away at Hoover's spending. October 19, 1932, he nailed Hoover, observing that in recent years federal expenses had increased by $1 billion "and that I may add, is the most reckless and extravagant past that I have been able to discover in the statistical record of any peacetime Government anywhere, any time."

a. Roosevelt went further! The cause: "It arises from one cause only and that is the unbalanced budget at he continued failure of this administration to take effective steps to balance it! If that budget had been fully and honestly balanced in 1930, some of the 1931 troubles would have been avoided. Even if it had been balanced in 1931, much of the extreme dip in 1932 would have been obviated. Every financial man in the country knows why this is true."

b. And this: "... carrying out the plain precept of our Party, which is to reduce the cost of current Federal Government operations by 25 percent."
Ibid.

Guess what he did?

Roosevelt expanded the federal government and ran up deficits much greater than those of Hoover.

Soooo, as I stated:

Why did the lying weasel lie to the public, and why did he make certain that the Depression lasted five times as long as any other such downturn?

Waiting.

No, and there won't be.

My MO is to post facts.

Ibid.

Guess what he did?

Soooo, as I stated:

Why did the lying weasel lie to the public, and why did he make certain that the Depression lasted five times as long as any other such downturn?

Waiting.
So we have found the answer to depressions/recessions; balance the budget. So that problem is now taken care of. Still it seems as if we used Keynes or FDR in the last few recessions. Are they now revising the history and economic books?

No, and there won't be.

My MO is to post facts.

Ibid.

Guess what he did?

Soooo, as I stated:

Waiting.
So we have found the answer to depressions/recessions; balance the budget. So that problem is now taken care of. Still it seems as if we used Keynes or FDR in the last few recessions. Are they now revising the history and economic books?

I didn't say that....your demigod, Roosevelt, said it.

Is he still your lord and master?

No, and there won't be.

Did you notice that you were unable to dispute anything I've posted?

So sorry I had to check you into the boards......

....make that OVER the boards.

No, and there won't be.

My MO is to post facts.

Ibid.

Guess what he did?

Soooo, as I stated:

Waiting.

No more that the thousand or so historians that rate FDR best American president.
FDR changed his mind once he became president, telling the American people that he was going to experiment and balancing the budget was not the answer.
The answers seemed to be getting getting hungry people fed, and using the government to give people hope. If any president could have changed the type of nation we had it was FDR but when he he died the vice president took over just as the Constitution ordained. That was not so in a number of other nations.

PC, you aren't answering his question.

It's a reasonable one.

At what point does government taxation become "tyranny?" Is it 5% of incomes? 15%? 25%? 35%?

What is it?

Was there anything in my posts....

prosperity vs redistribution

Republicans vs Democrats

Coolidge vs Roosevelt

....that you'd like to discuss?

Yes, I'd like to discuss.

I'd like to know at what level does government taxation and spending become tyranny.

What do you think?

Taxing people just to breath (Obama care/tax)

My MO is to post facts.

Ibid.

Guess what he did?

Soooo, as I stated:

Waiting.

No more that the thousand or so historians that rate FDR best American president.
FDR changed his mind once he became president, telling the American people that he was going to experiment and balancing the budget was not the answer.
The answers seemed to be getting getting hungry people fed, and using the government to give people hope. If any president could have changed the type of nation we had it was FDR but when he he died the vice president took over just as the Constitution ordained. That was not so in a number of other nations.

I'm asking you.
You obviously can't dispute anything I posted....Roosevelt stated the cause of Hoover's problem, promised....promised....to do the opposite.....then lied.
And made a recession into a decade long Depression, five times longer than any other downturn.

And you can only respond like a mindless drone.

My MO is to post facts.

Ibid.

Guess what he did?

Soooo, as I stated:

Waiting.

"The answers seemed to be getting getting hungry people fed,..."

Starvation was never a problem in this country.

FDR increased unemployment.

Ibid.

Guess what he did?

Soooo, as I stated:

Waiting.

I didn't say starving I said hungry, though I'm sure that some elderly people did in fact starve
Did you live through the Great Depression, if so you you knew people were hungry. The state charity organizations could not handle the volume of hungry people, Have you seen pictures of the bread lines of that period?

Ibid.

Guess what he did?

Soooo, as I stated:

Waiting.

I didn't say starving I said hungry, though I'm sure that some elderly people did in fact starve
Did you live through the Great Depression, if so you you knew people were hungry. The state charity organizations could not handle the volume of hungry people, Have you seen pictures of the bread lines of that period?

1. No, I didn't live during that time.

2. Whether or not you did, you know less than nothing.
"According to my quick reading of the Life and death during the Great Depression by José A. Tapia Granadosa and Ana V. Diez Roux, the only noticeable increase of mortality was suicide, with a noticeable decline of mortality in every other category.

It's interesting that this paper was written in 2009, before the (shall we say) sensationalist Russian claim of 7 million deaths.

According also to Michael Mosley, life expectancy actually rose through the Great Depression. In his Horizon programme Eat, Fast and Live Longer he claims

From 1929 to 1933, in the darkest years of the great depression when people were eating far less, life expectancy increased by 6 years.

....seeing as the US diet was far higher than starvation standards before the GD, even a serious reduction would have been unlikely to induce starvation level conditions in the majority of the population. And with enough food available overall, and the US always having had a very active local charity network, it's quite likely there would have been help for at least the majority of those who could not afford to feed themselves. In fact for quite a few people a somewhat leaner diet may well have contributed to the increased life expectancy. –"
Sources: David Stuckler, Christopher Meissner, Price Fishback, Sanjay Basu, Martin McKee. 2011. "Banking crises and mortality during the Great Depression: evidence from US urban populations, 1929-1937." Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. (link)

Price Fishback, Michael Haines, and Shawn Kantor. 2005. "Births, Deaths, and New Deal Relief During the Great Depression."
How many people in the US starved to death during the Great Depression?

3. Charity has always been a part of the private economy, and fulfilled its obligations government took it over.
That's what happens under totalitarianism.

Prior to Franklin Roosevelt, welfare was handled by charities and churches, carefully considering who got the relief, and the reasons for same.

Under FDR, welfare and charity became a patronage endeavor, to get votes rather than to ease suffering.

The Reconstruction Finance Corporation (RFC) doled out relief nationally to those states with the best political connections. The Emergency Relief and Construction Act of 1932 began with the best of intentions...but under the Democrats it went to well-connected friends, including mayors and governors.

Illinois, a swing state, got $55,443,721, which was almost 20% of the RFC's $300 million, more than NY, California, and Texas combined.
Murray Rothbard, "America's Great Depression," p.262-263.

Forum List

Back