Choose: Prosperity vs Redistribution

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. A marked difference between Republicans and Democrats is how they view economics.
Democrats regularly reinvent communist principles of coercion, taxation and the material equality, while Republicans favor prosperity and individualism.

"The Left has been far more interested in fighting material inequality than tyranny, which is why Lenin, Mao, Pol Pot, Ho Chi Minh, Castro, etc., tend to have the support of Leftists around the world."
Dennis Prager

2. With the above in mind, we should compare the Republican, Calvin Coolidge, whose birthday is this very day, July 4th, 1878, the man who led us into the 'Roaring Twenties'

a. 'After the depression [1920-1921] the United States proceeded to enjoy the “Roaring Twenties,” arguably the most prosperous decade in the country’s history. Some of this prosperity was illusory—itself the result of subsequent Fed inflation—but nonetheless the 1920–1921 depression “purged the rottenness out of the system” and provided a solid framework for sustainable growth."

The conclusion seems obvious to anyone whose mind is not firmly locked into the Keynesian or monetarist framework: The free market works."
The Depression You’ve Never Heard Of: 1920-1921 | The Freeman | Ideas On Liberty

b. "The 1920s were an age of dramatic social and political change. For the first time, more Americans lived in cities than on farms. The nation’s total wealth more than doubled between 1920 and 1929, and this economic growth swept many Americans into an affluent but unfamiliar “consumer society.” The Roaring Twenties - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com

c. "The 1920s earned their moniker—the "Roaring Twenties"—through the decade's real and sustained prosperity, dizzying technological advancements, and lively culture. The decade marked the flourishing of the modern mass-production, mass-consumption economy, which delivered fantastic profits to investors while also raising the living standard of the urban middle- and working-class." Economy in The 1920s

d. "A tide of economic and social change swept across the country in the 1920s. Nicknames for the decade, such as “the Jazz Age” or “the Roaring Twenties,” convey something of the excitement and the changes in social conventions that were taking place at the time. As the economy boomed, wages rose for most Americans and prices fell, resulting in a higher standard of living and a dramatic increase in consumer consumption.... The American economy's phenomenal growth rate during the '20s...." A New Society: Economic & Social Change

A big 'ol happy birthday to Calvin Coolidge, Republican!!!

Compare that to the gloom that Franklin Roosevelt inflicted on the nation when he extended the recession into a decade long Great Depression.

1. A marked difference between Republicans and Democrats is how they view economics.
Democrats regularly reinvent communist principles of coercion, taxation and the material equality, while Republicans favor prosperity and individualism.

"The Left has been far more interested in fighting material inequality than tyranny, which is why Lenin, Mao, Pol Pot, Ho Chi Minh, Castro, etc., tend to have the support of Leftists around the world."
Dennis Prager

2. With the above in mind, we should compare the Republican, Calvin Coolidge, whose birthday is this very day, July 4th, 1878, the man who led us into the 'Roaring Twenties'

a. 'After the depression [1920-1921] the United States proceeded to enjoy the “Roaring Twenties,” arguably the most prosperous decade in the country’s history. Some of this prosperity was illusory—itself the result of subsequent Fed inflation—but nonetheless the 1920–1921 depression “purged the rottenness out of the system” and provided a solid framework for sustainable growth."

The conclusion seems obvious to anyone whose mind is not firmly locked into the Keynesian or monetarist framework: The free market works."
The Depression You’ve Never Heard Of: 1920-1921 | The Freeman | Ideas On Liberty

b. "The 1920s were an age of dramatic social and political change. For the first time, more Americans lived in cities than on farms. The nation’s total wealth more than doubled between 1920 and 1929, and this economic growth swept many Americans into an affluent but unfamiliar “consumer society.” The Roaring Twenties - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com

c. "The 1920s earned their moniker—the "Roaring Twenties"—through the decade's real and sustained prosperity, dizzying technological advancements, and lively culture. The decade marked the flourishing of the modern mass-production, mass-consumption economy, which delivered fantastic profits to investors while also raising the living standard of the urban middle- and working-class." Economy in The 1920s

d. "A tide of economic and social change swept across the country in the 1920s. Nicknames for the decade, such as “the Jazz Age” or “the Roaring Twenties,” convey something of the excitement and the changes in social conventions that were taking place at the time. As the economy boomed, wages rose for most Americans and prices fell, resulting in a higher standard of living and a dramatic increase in consumer consumption.... The American economy's phenomenal growth rate during the '20s...." A New Society: Economic & Social Change

Compare that to the gloom that Franklin Roosevelt inflicted on the nation when he extended the recession into a decade long Great Depression.
Thank you for posing this question, but I'll personally need a bit more detail before I choose, as their is simply not nearly enough detail here for such a critical topic.

Let's use the most obvious data point - personal income taxation - as our primary place of delineation between "Prosperity & Freedom" and "Redistribution & Tyranny".

Please provide the top marginal tax rate at which "Prosperity & Freedom" ends and "Redistribution & Tyranny" begins. If you are a proponent of a Flat Tax, please provide that point of equilibrium between the two. For example, then, "a 12% flat tax is prosperity & freedom, whereas a 13% flat tax is redistribution and tyranny".

That will give us an excellent place to start. Thanks in advance.

I think you are a little confused, Political Spice.

We had our greatest prosperity when the workforce was 33% unionized and the top tax bracket was 93% on the uber-rich.

Yes, and his hands-off approach led to the Great Depression, a world wide economic catastrophe.

Dennis Prager

Thank you for posing this question, but I'll personally need a bit more detail before I choose, as their is simply not nearly enough detail here for such a critical topic.

Let's use the most obvious data point - personal income taxation - as our primary place of delineation between "Prosperity & Freedom" and "Redistribution & Tyranny".

Please provide the top marginal tax rate at which "Prosperity & Freedom" ends and "Redistribution & Tyranny" begins. If you are a proponent of a Flat Tax, please provide that point of equilibrium between the two. For example, then, "a 12% flat tax is prosperity & freedom, whereas a 13% flat tax is redistribution and tyranny".

I will certainly fill in large gaps you may have in perspectives of Calvin Coolidge, versus that of Franklin Roosevelt, as representatives of Republican vs Democrat.

Read the OP again, and you will find that I have given enough data already to allow an informed conclusion vis-a-vis prosperity vs redistribution.

I certainly will provide more in the three more posts I have for this thread...but, let's be honest: fence straddlers like yourself will always claim to be able to draw a conclusion.

True?

And thank you for having read the OP, and posting your....view.

I think you are a little confused, Political Spice.

We had our greatest prosperity when the workforce was 33% unionized and the top tax bracket was 93% on the uber-rich.

Yes, and his hands-off approach led to the Great Depression, a world wide economic catastrophe.

"I think ...."

Fact not in evidence.

I will certainly fill in large gaps you may have in perspectives of Calvin Coolidge, versus that of Franklin Roosevelt, as representatives of Republican vs Democrat.

I'm sure you'll spew on for pages.

But the fact is, look at all the things named after FDR, and then look at all the things NOT named after Calvin Coolidge.

No one considers Coolidge to be a great president or even a good one.

Fact not in evidence.

The Mail-Order Bride from Hell babbles again.

mail-order-brides3.jpg

I'm sure you'll spew on for pages.

But the fact is, look at all the things named after FDR, and then look at all the things NOT named after Calvin Coolidge.

No one considers Coolidge to be a great president or even a good one.

Fact not in evidence.

The Mail-Order Bride from Hell babbles again.

mail-order-brides3.jpg

"But the fact is, look at all the things named after FDR, and then look at all the things NOT named after Calvin Coolidge.

No one considers Coolidge to be a great president or even a good one. "

As I said earlier, rectitude should prevent you from ever using the phrase "I think."

While Democrats are [in]famous for depredation of success, such as "You didn't build that!"....

....Coolidge and the Republicans have a view that favors prosperity.

3. Often misquoted as ‘The business of America is business,” he really said:

“... After all, the chief business of the American people is business. They are profoundly concerned with producing, buying, selling, investing and prospering in the world. I am strongly of opinion that the great majority of people will always find these are moving impulses of our life. …

Wealth is the product of industry, ambition, character and untiring effort. In all experience, the accumulation of wealth means the multiplication of schools, the increase of knowledge, the dissemination of intelligence, the encouragement of science, the broadening of outlook, the expansion of liberties, the widening of culture.

Of course, the accumulation of wealth cannot be justified as the chief end of existence. But we are compelled to recognize it as a means to well-nigh every desirable achievement. So long as wealth is made the means and not the end, we need not greatly fear it.”
January 17, 1925 Given before the American Society of Newspaper Editors

Dennis Prager

Read the OP again, and you will find that I have given enough data already to allow an informed conclusion vis-a-vis prosperity vs redistribution.

I certainly will provide more in the three more posts I have for this thread...but, let's be honest: fence straddlers like yourself will always claim to be able to draw a conclusion.

True?

Okay, great.

Would anyone else like to take a crack at my clear, concise question?

PC doesn't have the chops for anything beyond platitudes, bluster and cut & paste.

Anyone?

Dennis Prager

True?

Okay, great.

PC doesn't have the chops for anything beyond platitudes, bluster and cut & paste.

Anyone?

Facts.

That's what I deal in, fence sitter.

Like this:

Let's compare the man who gave America the 'Roaring Twenties,' with the man who gave us failure and a decade of woe.

4. Franklin Roosevelt did his best to extend the economic downturn, and the only possible explanation is that he wanted a reason to obviate the Constitution. And he said as much.
But, here's the economic proof: he knew how to end the recession, swore to do so, and- once elected- did the very opposite:

The basis of FDR's 1932 campaign to win the presidency from Herbert Hoover was his emphatic promise to the suffering American people, that he would balance the budget. Of course, he also promised that he would use the government to create jobs, and that they "had a right to a comfortable living."
American Founders | The Heritage Foundation

5.The part about balancing the budget had a certain resonance as President Harding had veered sharply away from federal spending and solved as big a recession in about one year. Certainly Franklin Roosevelt knew this, as he hammered away at Hoover's spending. October 19, 1932, he nailed Hoover, observing that in recent years federal expenses had increased by $1 billion "and that I may add, is the most reckless and extravagant past that I have been able to discover in the statistical record of any peacetime Government anywhere, any time." http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=88399

a. Roosevelt went further! The cause: "It arises from one cause only and that is the unbalanced budget at he continued failure of this administration to take effective steps to balance it! If that budget had been fully and honestly balanced in 1930, some of the 1931 troubles would have been avoided. Even if it had been balanced in 1931, much of the extreme dip in 1932 would have been obviated. Every financial man in the country knows why this is true."
Franklin D. Roosevelt: Campaign Address on the Federal Budget at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

b. And this: "... carrying out the plain precept of our Party, which is to reduce the cost of current Federal Government operations by 25 percent." Ibid.

Guess what he did?

Roosevelt expanded the federal government and ran up deficits much greater than those of Hoover.

Soooo, as I stated:
Coolidge and the Republicans.....prosperity

Roosevelt and the Democrats......equalized poverty.

Dennis Prager

True?

Okay, great.

Anyone?

Facts.

Like this:

Let's compare the man who gave America the 'Roaring Twenties,' with the man who gave us failure and a decade of woe.

4. Franklin Roosevelt did his best to extend the economic downturn, and the only possible explanation is that he wanted a reason to obviate the Constitution. And he said as much.
But, here's the economic proof: he knew how to end the recession, swore to do so, and- once elected- did the very opposite:

The basis of FDR's 1932 campaign to win the presidency from Herbert Hoover was his emphatic promise to the suffering American people, that he would balance the budget. Of course, he also promised that he would use the government to create jobs, and that they "had a right to a comfortable living."

5.The part about balancing the budget had a certain resonance as President Harding had veered sharply away from federal spending and solved as big a recession in about one year. Certainly Franklin Roosevelt knew this, as he hammered away at Hoover's spending. October 19, 1932, he nailed Hoover, observing that in recent years federal expenses had increased by $1 billion "and that I may add, is the most reckless and extravagant past that I have been able to discover in the statistical record of any peacetime Government anywhere, any time." Franklin D. Roosevelt: Campaign Address on the Federal Budget at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

a. Roosevelt went further! The cause: "It arises from one cause only and that is the unbalanced budget at he continued failure of this administration to take effective steps to balance it! If that budget had been fully and honestly balanced in 1930, some of the 1931 troubles would have been avoided. Even if it had been balanced in 1931, much of the extreme dip in 1932 would have been obviated. Every financial man in the country knows why this is true."
Franklin D. Roosevelt: Campaign Address on the Federal Budget at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

b. And this: "... carrying out the plain precept of our Party, which is to reduce the cost of current Federal Government operations by 25 percent." Ibid.

Guess what he did?

Roosevelt expanded the federal government and ran up deficits much greater than those of Hoover.

Soooo, as I stated:

That's okay, I let you off the hook. If you don't want to take a stand, maybe someone else will.

Thanks again.

Dennis Prager

True?

Okay, great.

Anyone?

Facts.

Like this:

5.The part about balancing the budget had a certain resonance as President Harding had veered sharply away from federal spending and solved as big a recession in about one year. Certainly Franklin Roosevelt knew this, as he hammered away at Hoover's spending. October 19, 1932, he nailed Hoover, observing that in recent years federal expenses had increased by $1 billion "and that I may add, is the most reckless and extravagant past that I have been able to discover in the statistical record of any peacetime Government anywhere, any time." Franklin D. Roosevelt: Campaign Address on the Federal Budget at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Guess what he did?

Soooo, as I stated:

That's okay, I let you off the hook. If you don't want to take a stand, maybe someone else will.

Thanks again.

"If you don't want to take a stand,...."

Gads, you're a moron.

What do you think this thread is if not taking a stand, fence sitter?

Glad to see it got under your skin.

True?

Okay, great.

Anyone?

Facts.

Like this:

Guess what he did?

Soooo, as I stated:

Thanks again.

Gads, you're a moron.

Just your standard fluff, obviously.

Get asked for specifics and you completely lose your shit.

That's okay, I already told you, you're off the hook, fence sitter.

True?

Okay, great.

Anyone?

Facts.

Like this:

Guess what he did?

Soooo, as I stated:

Thanks again.

Gads, you're a moron.

C'mon....say it again: "If you don't want to take a stand,...."

Any who read our posts will recognize you as either an imbecile or a liar.

Okay, great.

Anyone?

Facts.

Like this:

Guess what he did?

Soooo, as I stated:

Thanks again.

Gads, you're a moron.

My goodness, you're really triggered here. I asked you a direct question and you respond with the deflect/pivot/attack tactic used so often by the Regressive Left.

Are you sure you're not a Regressive Lefty, just trying to make conservatives look bad?

I apologize for asking you for details, okay? Stay on your fence, that's fine with me.

Facts.

Like this:

Guess what he did?

Soooo, as I stated:

Thanks again.

Gads, you're a moron.

My goodness, you're really triggered here. I asked you a direct question and you respond with the deflect/pivot/attack tactic used so often by the Regressive Left.

Are you sure you're not a Regressive Lefty, just trying to make conservatives look bad?

I apologize for asking you for details, okay? Stay on your fence, that's fine with me.

I don't care what you asked.

I construct a thread to prove a contention....and I always do prove what I set out to.

Sooooo.....did I take a definite and specific stand vis-a-vis

prosperity vs redistribution?

Republicans vs Democrats?

Coolidge vs Roosevelt?

So, you were lying when you said "If you don't want to take a stand,...."

Now be honest and admit that you only said that because of how regularly I reveal that you are a gutless fence sitter.

True?

Thanks again.

Gads, you're a moron.

I construct a thread to prove a contention....and I always do prove what I set out to.

Coolidge vs Roosevelt?

Now be honest and admit that you only said that because of how regularly I reveal that you are a gutless fence sitter.

True?
And the deflect/pivot/attack tactic continues.

Checkmate.

Anyone ELSE have the ability to answer my question?

Gads, you're a moron.

Coolidge vs Roosevelt?

True?

Checkmate.

C'mon, you wimp....'fess up.

Coolidge vs Roosevelt?

True?

Checkmate.

I can keep this going as long as you want. You'll keep responding because your self esteem is so tied to your little "PC" persona.

You could have just answered the question, but no.

Is anyone going to answer my question?
47505887.jpg

Coolidge vs Roosevelt?

True?

Checkmate.

I can keep this going as long as you want. You'll keep responding because your self esteem is so tied to your little "PC" persona.

You could have just answered the question, but no.

Is anyone going to answer my question?
47505887.jpg

Sooooo.....you don't like 'fence sitter'....even though it's accurate???

OK...how' this: "OnTheOneHand...ButOnTheOther"

Better?

Oh...and one more lesson in this thread coming up.

Stay tuned.

Forum List

Back