Chipmunks

I tried distracting critters by leaving my kitchen produce scraps strewn on the ground around my raised beds. They laughed while they jumped into my beds and chewed the tops off of my carrots.

That won't work. Kitchen scraps might attract rats, otherwise they are just decomposing giving off a rotting smell, while fresh carrots are about as tasty a snack and delicacy as you can offer them because fresh carrots are full of sugar while store bought ones the sugar has all turned to starch.

But kitchen scraps make a real nice additive for compost!

2 ft. chicken wire will stop any rabbit. To stop rodents like mice and chipmunks, you need rodent fence, usually 1/2" X 1/2", at least the same height best if you bury it 4-6" underground so that if they try to tunnel under it, it'll stop them.

The problem with cayenne is it needs to be a real high concentration in a soapy mixture to make it stick and needs reapplied after every rain.

Squirrels, good luck. Those bastards are not stopped by anything short of moats, brick walls and armed guards.

Another sneaky trick when all else fails is to plant a disposable diverter crop of something attractive to them you reallyare not interested in outside and away from your garden for them to eat so that they have less interest getting through to your fenced in garden.
Sounds like how we handle yellowjackets around here. You go out in the forest for a picnic and put a small ball of raw burger or chicken fat on a rock, away from your table, as an offering to the nasty little bastards.

I wish we had chipmonks. TBH as nasty as turnips are, they could have all mine. I do plant them as a cover crop, but am not a fan of them going into the mouth.

Sounds like how we handle yellowjackets around here. You go out in the forest for a picnic and put a small ball of raw burger or chicken fat on a rock, away from your table, as an offering to the nasty little bastards.
For yellow jackets, make orange juice out of the frozen concentrate. Put some in a pie pan or soup plate and you'll have a pan full of yellow jackets.

I've popped three rabbits around the garden so far this year, with the .22 rifle. Haven't seen any since then.

I gave up on gardens a couple years ago, because the critters were getting to be an angry mob fighting over the goodies I provided for them. You'd go out there, ever hopeful they might have left some bit of stem or root and they'd be faced off in the ravages of the tomato and cucumber wasteland. Waving their little claws and twigs in the air at each other.

Sometimes they'd take the time to spit at me and bitch about the quality of tomatoes, before turning back to their critter gang war.

Plus, I'm gettin real lazy in my older age.

We went camping on an island in the San Juans in Washington State and a couple of guys with us went snorkeling and caught a bunch of crab. Well, when we got it cooked and cracked open, it had the same effect.

I gave up on gardens a couple years ago, because the critters were getting to be an angry mob fighting over the goodies I provided for them. You'd go out there, ever hopeful they might have left some bit of stem or root and they'd be faced off in the ravages of the tomato and cucumber wasteland. Waving their little claws and twigs in the air at each other.

Sometimes they'd take the time to spit at me and bitch about the quality of tomatoes, before turning back to their critter gang war.

Plus, I'm gettin real lazy in my older age.
I still have hope. Maybe they'll leave the onions alone. The beans are growing up seven-foot teepees. I'm growing winter squash that have really thick skins.

I still have hope. Maybe they'll leave the onions alone. The beans are growing up seven-foot teepees. I'm growing winter squash that have really thick skins.

Where do you live? Maybe there's hope for me too.

Asking for a friend.

Southeastern South Dakota, but it's hotter than holy blue fuck here right now. Tell your friend to wait until September.
We visited Brookings about a month ago when the tornado went through that area. When we arrived it was 93 degrees but within an hour we watched a wall of black clouds blow in--the sun disappeared and it was dark as night. It lasted for an hour or so and power went out for the entire town for the weekend. Devastation was fairly widespread. Being raised in NM, I thought I knew what wind was--I didn't have a clue. LOL.

We visited Brookings about a month ago when the tornado went through that area. When we arrived it was 93 degrees but within an hour we watched a wall of black clouds blow in--the sun disappeared and it was dark as night. It lasted for an hour or so and power went out for the entire town for the weekend. Devastation was fairly widespread. Being raised in NM, I thought I knew what wind was--I didn't have a clue. LOL.
That was a crazy storm! I had a flag on a five foot long flag pole in a bracket on the front of my home, and it bent the flag pole more than 45°. I was born and raised in Sioux Falls and have never seen such a storm! A distant relative of mine by marriage was killed when a chunk of wood slammed into the car she was riding in.

We had another storm last night with some serious wind. It tore my new flag and its pole out of the bracket! This country is rough on flags! That's the second one I've lost to wind storms here.

Forum List

Back