Chipmunks

Cool loads. In Maine I gave up on the munks and blasted most with a 22 but got one with a 38 cci snake shot, poof!

Yeah, I think I'm gonna switch to a scoped Marlin .22 rifle. I haven't hit a damned one of them yet with these shot loads. The chipmunks seem to be impervious to them.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna switch to a scoped Marlin .22 rifle. I haven't hit a damned one of them yet with these shot loads. The chipmunks seem to be impervious to them.

Gotta be close. I vaporized that one at about 8 feet, it was up under the barn eave.
Probably the pattern more than the effectiveness. If there was a way to get by the rifling a bit and not get spin. Homemade wad, just a cylinder of plastic maybe to grab rifling but shot passes thru? Even a short bbl the shot will be more affected by the grooves and edges of lands than a tube would, may pass right thru.

Poor little chipmunks! BLAM! 💣 Sounds like you need to install some rodent fence around your garden or spray your vulnerable veggies with some cayenne spray, because as long as you provide them a source of food, new ones will still just keep coming.
Heeyyy Daaaave!

Best way to kill them is a get a ramp and a 5 gal. bucket of water, half full. Throw sunflower seeds in water. They run up ramp, jump in water for the seeds, and drown. My neighbor killed over 80 of them this way. They are a nuisance and I'm almost at the point where I'm going to get the ramp and bucket set up at my house.

I did find that the 38 Special shotshell loads were working. Whenever I hit one of the chipmunks, they would run off in the weeds and die. The dog has dragged three of them out of the weeds so far.

I made some .44 magnum shotshell loads this morning: 6.6 grains of Unique powder, a .085" thick cork wad, the case filled with number 7-1/2 shot using an empty .30 caliber carbine cartridge case, a 0.027" wad made out of stiff gasket material over the shot, a heavy crimp, then sealed with fingernail polish. They work pretty well.

44 shot1.jpg

44 shot2.jpg

Best way to kill them is a get a ramp and a 5 gal. bucket of water, half full. Throw sunflower seeds in water. They run up ramp, jump in water for the seeds, and drown. My neighbor killed over 80 of them this way. They are a nuisance and I'm almost at the point where I'm going to get the ramp and bucket set up at my house.

Don't fall in.

Forum List

Back