Chinese Taipei at the Olympics

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
Did anyone notice that at the Olympics parade of nations they announced Taiwan as 'Chinese Taipei'?

I was in China in 2002 and that is when I learned that China, once they are militarily capable, plan to take back all their former territories. I guess Russia, the mother of modern China, plans to help with that endeavor.

They've been announced that way for a long time. I have more of a problem like non countries participating, like the US virgin islands. it's part of the USA. Why does it get its own team? That's like Washington, DC having its own olympics team.

Did anyone notice that at the Olympics parade of nations they announced Taiwan as 'Chinese Taipei'?

I was in China in 2002 and that is when I learned that China, once they are militarily capable, plan to take back all their former territories. I guess Russia, the mother of modern China, plans to help with that endeavor.

You know that the official name of Taiwan is "The Republic of China", right?

And I suppose you know the PRC frowns on that. Just sayin'.

I didn't watch the opening ceremonies.

I tuned in for about 2 minutes and it didn't look special or inventive. I'm pissed that they wait till after just about all of the events are over for the day before NBC will telecast any of them. They aren't showing much of it live, we already know the results. We've won our first gold, and so the telecast is going to be a letdown.

Even watching old Super Bowls on NFL Network has more suspense.

Last edited:

Of course they do. But who the fuck cares what the PRC frowns on?

The ROC and the PRC has esentially been in a state of war since 1927.

If one is in their country participating in the Olympics it is just good manners not to fly up into the face of your host country. Of course we would know that in the south.

If one is in their country participating in the Olympics it is just good manners not to fly up into the face of your host country. Of course we would know that in the south.

I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make.

Are you saying that ROC/Taiwan shouldn't have been invited to the Olympics to spare PRC's feelings?

Or that they should have called themselves "Taiwan", or "Republic of China"? They have gone by "Chinese Taipei" in international competition since 1989.

Both think they are the 'legitimate' government of all China (I know which one I'd choose). Unlikely to be resolved until the mainland ditches any remaining vestiges of communism. Someday?

Both think they are the 'legitimate' government of all China (I know which one I'd choose). Unlikely to be resolved until the mainland ditches any remaining vestiges of communism. Someday?

I think that day will come. When a people starts liking money the rest is history........

"Chinese Taipei" competed in the Beijing Olympics, too.

Didn't watch it. When I wasn't traveling for work, I was working on my house. But it is basically the same concept. China still claims Taiwan, and Russia, the mother of modern China, apparently agrees.

Taiwan considers itself the rightful government of China.

Are you saying that ROC/Taiwan shouldn't have been invited to the Olympics to spare PRC's feelings?

Or that they should have called themselves "Taiwan", or "Republic of China"? They have gone by "Chinese Taipei" in international competition since 1989.

It is impossible to explain good manners to a yankee, so I'm not even going to try.

"Chinese Taipei" competed in the Beijing Olympics, too.

Didn't watch it. When I wasn't traveling for work, I was working on my house. But it is basically the same concept. China still claims Taiwan, and Russia, the mother of modern China, apparently agrees.

How is it "apparent" that Russia agrees?

The PRC claim Taiwan, and Taiwan (the ROC) claim mainland China. It's been that way for a long time now, to the point where those competing claims are the status quo.

It is impossible to explain good manners to a yankee, so I'm not even going to try.

I'm just going to assume that you don't even know what you're talking about at this point.

Where do "manners" come into play at all?

Hey! Go easy on that BS.

Forum List

Back