Chinese mock "boring white people food".

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Under a photo of processed cheese, ham and crackers packed neatly in plastic, a Weibo user writes that to eat this for lunch is to “learn what it feels like to be dead”.

I think they are being harsh. I can imagine the grimness of facing a slice of cheese between two slices of white bread but we have moved on a lot these days.

The food our grandparents grew up on is now a rarity and most people have a bit of chutney on a cheese roll.

Last edited:
Under a photo of processed cheese, ham and crackers packed neatly in plastic, a Weibo user writes that to eat this for lunch is to “learn what it feels like to be dead”.

I think they are being harsh. I can imagine the grimness of facing a slice of cheese between two slices of white bread but we have moved on a lot these days.

The food our grandparents gre up on is now a rarity and most people have a bit of chutney on a cheese roll.

Shut up and eat your blood sausage.

The food our grandparents gre up on is now a rarity and most people have a bit of chutney on a cheese roll.

British cuisine, ugh. How many ways CAN you boil beef?

Chutney on a cheese roll...hmmm. Is that like Habenero jelly on a cheese bagel?

I have a good friend who moved here from China, and when we go to a Chinese restaurant, she orders from a different menu, as "Chinese food" in this country is not really Chinese food. What she does order looks fairly amazing and healthy, and it is hard to describe, much less understand. Most Americans I think can bridge cultures with other nations, but I have to say, Chinese culture and attitudes are so foreign to most Americans that it is more like something from another planet. After more than 10 years I still don't understand her culture and she will never understand ours.

from the OP:

But to some Chinese netizens, this kind of food is the “lunch of suffering”, as put by blogger Shanyoule, who bought a pack of string beans and a tomato to see what it was like to eat them raw: “It’s so lawless and outrageous
Another blogger opined that these lunches are “not for enjoyment, but to find guilt”.
“In this way, I can always remind myself that I am here to work.”
Another user shared a photo of their colleague’s packed lunch of baby carrots on top of some spinach, inspiring the question: “Can they generate their own energy without eating?”
Chinese people in Europe have shared similar assessments, with one person in Germany saying they have a colleague whose lunch has not changed for 10 years.
“It is a handful of oatmeal mixed with low-fat yoghurt, with half an apple and a carrot. If such a meal is to extend life, what is the meaning of life?”

British cuisine, ugh. How many ways CAN you boil beef?

Chutney on a cheese roll...hmmm. Is that like Habenero jelly on a cheese bagel?
1686845244982.jpeg

I have a good friend who moved here from China, and when we go to a Chinese restaurant, she orders from a different menu, as "Chinese food" in this country is not really Chinese food. What she does order looks fairly amazing and healthy, and it is hard to describe, much less understand. Most Americans I think can bridge cultures with other nations, but I have to say, Chinese culture and attitudes are so foreign to most Americans that it is more like something from another planet. After more than 10 years I still don't understand her culture and she will never understand ours.
I worked as a waiter in a fairly upscale Chinese restaurant in college. The food the cooks prepared for themselves is NOTHING like the food on the menu.

I love Chinese food so maybe they have a point. I love Italian too, Im easy. Crackers are cool though. How can anyone take issue with crackers? Lol. All processed food is death in disguise. MSG is no picnic either in local Chinese food....

I worked as a waiter in a fairly upscale Chinese restaurant in college. The food the cooks prepared for themselves is NOTHING like the food on the menu.
Yea, there is no comparison. I've been tempted to order off the "authentic" menu, but I'm hungry and in no mood to be disappointed. For example, there is a Chinese "donut" that is very popular in China, we had a really crazy Chinese kid come over to my workplace for a week, to see how we do things, as he worked for my company in their China division, and he brought these white, powdery muffin looking things for us to eat. They were so dry and tasteless no one could even finish one, and most stopped after the first bite. They were awful. I took them home and gave them to my Chinese friend and she loved them.

I think its generic european blandness.
This clip is a skit on every english curry house on friday night.

Bland is the word.

LOL. Last time we went to London, my better half made me do the tasting menu at Ikoyi which is an african cuisine-inspired restaurant. It wasn't bland, but at close to $400 US per person it sure as hell was unimpressive. Kind of interesting-adjacent at first but it all ended up tasting the same a few dishes into it. Service was slow AF too. Took forever to get through all our itty bitty dishes. You folks can suck the life out of any cuisine I guess. How that place has 2 Michelin stars is beyond me.

Forum List

Back