China Whipping Up Hatred Of Japan To Oppose Japan's UNSC Bid

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
the Chinese getting increasingly desperate about Japan's likely successful bid to become a permenent member of the UNSC>

excerpted from the NYT
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/01/international/asia/01china.html

If 22 Million Chinese Prevail at U.N., Japan Won't
By JOSEPH KAHN

Published: April 1, 2005

EIJING, March 31 - A grass-roots Chinese campaign to keep Japan out of the United Nations Security Council has gathered some 22 million signatures, increasing the chances that China will block Japan's bid to join the elite group, organizers and analysts said Thursday.

The petition effort, conducted through popular Chinese Web sites, enjoys tacit support from the government, which has allowed state-controlled media to cover the campaign prominently.

Advertisement

Japan is expected to be among several nations granted a permanent seat on a revamped Security Council under a plan that could come up for a vote in September. As one of the five existing permanent members, China has the power to veto the proposal. It has not said how it plans to vote.

If China were to prevent Japan's elevation, it would be the most direct confrontation between Asia's leading powers since they re-established diplomatic ties in 1972.

Relations between the countries have sharply deteriorated in recent weeks, strained by competition for energy resources, disputes over the way history textbooks assess Japan's role in World War II, Japan's pledge to aid the United States in defending Taiwan and the recent incursion of a Chinese submarine into Japanese waters.

By allowing millions of people to sign their names to a petition against Japan, Beijing's new leadership seems determined to show that recent Japanese actions have so inflamed popular sentiment that China has no choice but to adopt a tougher diplomatic line.

Officials may also see the petition as leverage to force concessions from Japan as the price of admission to the Security Council. It could also serve as cover for a veto, which would be one of the most bold assertions of Chinese authority in many years. But the campaign has the potential to restrict China's diplomatic leeway, making it harder to reach a quiet compromise. China could also feel pressured to veto the whole United Nations overhaul if the plan promotes Japan, an unusual position for a country that has rarely used its veto power to oppose an international consensus.

NATO AIR said:
the Chinese getting increasingly desperate about Japan's likely successful bid to become a permenent member of the UNSC>

excerpted from the NYT

Interesting:

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_3-4-2005_pg4_5

Korea wants Japan excluded from talks

SEOUL: North Korea said on Saturday it remains committed to international negotiations on ending its nuclear weapons programme, but demanded Japan withdraws from the six-nation talks.

The comment came a day after the communist regime repeated that it would stay away from the stalled talks until the United States apologised for US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice calling North Korea one of the world’s “outposts of tyranny.”

International efforts to resume the negotiations gained urgency after North Korea claimed in February that it has nuclear weapons. The talks, which also involve China, Russia and South Korea, have been suspended since June after three rounds of inconclusive meetings.

On Saturday, North Korea said the Japanese government should not be a part of the talks because of what it called Japan’s “cunning and vulgar” intention to exploit the process for its self-interest.

“Japan’s participation in the six-party talks only complicates the problem more and leads to a failure of coming to a resolution,” the North’s state-run Minju Joson newspaper said in a commentary carried by the country’s official Korean Central News Agency. “There is no longer any need to include Japan in the six-party talks.”

It wasn’t the first time the North put forward such a demand amid recent tensions over North Korea’s abductions of Japanese citizens in the 1970s and 1980s.

North Korea has admitted kidnapping about a dozen Japanese to train its spies and allowed five to return, claiming the rest died. But Japanese leaders believes some abductees could still be alive in the North and have rejected Pyongyang’s explanations as not credible.

The Pyongyang regime also has blamed the United States for the lack of talks.

“As long as we have not totally given up on the six-party talks, they should be preceded by right conditions and circumstances, in other words, the US dropping of its hostile policy,” the newspaper commentary said Saturday.

Also Saturday, the North denounced US missiles reportedly deployed in South Korea, calling them part of American preparations to wage war against the communist regime.

Early last month, South Korean media reported the United States has deployed several ground-to-ground missiles in South Korea. About 32,500 US troops are now stationed in the South as a legacy of the 1950-53 Korean War, which ended in a cease-fire, leaving the two Koreas technically at war.

Denouncing the missile deployment as “moves to unleash a war,” Pyongyang’s Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the Fatherland said, it “would only compel (North Korea) to steadily bolster its nuclear arsenal,” according to KCNA. On Friday, Han Song-ryol, deputy chief of North Korea’s UN mission, said his government was waiting for an apology from Rice. He dismissed her recent reference to North Korea as a “sovereign” country, saying that “cannot be taken as being equivalent to an apology.” ap

NATO AIR said:
perhaps i would never be reading powerline or anything like it if i had not met you.

LOL That's a great compliment to a teacher. :thanks: to you!

NATO AIR said:
the Chinese getting increasingly desperate about Japan's likely successful bid to become a permenent member of the UNSC

Perhaps the Chinese are getting nervous. It is likely that they remember the ass kicking they got at the hands of the Japanese in WW II. In addition to engaging in flagrant brutality, rape and murder, the Japanese went through the Chinese military faster than poop through a goose.

Merlin1047 said:
Perhaps the Chinese are getting nervous. It is likely that they remember the ass kicking they got at the hands of the Japanese in WW II. In addition to engaging in flagrant brutality, rape and murder, the Japanese went through the Chinese military faster than poop through a goose.

You're absolutely correct, that's why I think them pissing Japan off with threats about Taiwan and regionial security was a big mistake.

NATO AIR said:
You're absolutely correct, that's why I think them pissing Japan off with threats about Taiwan and regionial security was a big mistake.

That has been a problem for China from the get go. How much can they spend on defense/offense, with their population?

Kathianne said:
That has been a problem for China from the get go. How much can they spend on defense/offense, with their population?

Dictators don't have to worry near as much about social welfare, education, etc etc as democracies do, so for now China can spend as much as it wants within sanity, which it is doing with its massive weapons upgrades from Russia, Israel and technology stolen from us. Japan is about to start an arms buildup that is going to make China hiccup as it realizes the sleeping giant it awoke with its threats and its sponsorship of North Korea.

NATO AIR said:
Dictators don't have to worry near as much about social welfare, education, etc etc as democracies do, so for now China can spend as much as it wants within sanity, which it is doing with its massive weapons upgrades from Russia, Israel and technology stolen from us. Japan is about to start an arms buildup that is going to make China hiccup as it realizes the sleeping giant it awoke with its threats and its sponsorship of North Korea.

Exactly what I was saying. China does NOT have the expendable income of Japan or US when it comes to this. They have two giants ready to deal with them.

You know, with all this stuff we keep hearing and reading about, all I can think of is the fact that history repeats itself. It is very scary. Japan and China have fought wars for 2,000 years. Why would it stop now? Because we are more advanced? I bet somewhere along the line, maybe even as far back as 1,000 years ago, there was a group of people sitting around, drinking beers and saying, "well, what happened 1,000 years ago couldn't happen today, we are too advanced in our societies". The difference today is that there are weapons out there that will destroy the world. Scary.

freeandfun1 said:
You know, with all this stuff we keep hearing and reading about, all I can think of is the fact that history repeats itself. It is very scary. Japan and China have fought wars for 2,000 years. Why would it stop now? Because we are more advanced? I bet somewhere along the line, maybe even as far back as 1,000 years ago, there was a group of people sitting around, drinking beers and saying, "well, what happened 1,000 years ago couldn't happen today, we are too advanced in our societies". The difference today is that there are weapons out there that will destroy the world. Scary.

Free, I've been saying something similar for awhile now. The machinations have been reminding me of WWI for a long time now. Secret hates/alliances, Open alliances, inbalance of resources, weapons build up, rapid technological changes, just wanting war for wars sake. Scary.

Kathianne said:
Free, I've been saying something similar for awhile now. The machinations have been reminding me of WWI for a long time now. Secret hates/alliances, Open alliances, inbalance of resources, weapons build up, rapid technological changes, just wanting war for wars sake. Scary.

Oh so true. It would be arrogant of us to think that we are going to change history. It is a noble endeavor, but one I am confident we will not succeed at. History WILL repeat itself. It ALWAYS does and we NEVER learn from it.

freeandfun1 said:
Oh so true. It would be arrogant of us to think that we are going to change history. It is a noble endeavor, but one I am confident we will not succeed at. History WILL repeat itself. It ALWAYS does and we NEVER learn from it.

If history repeats itself, what historical event foreshadowed the American Revolution? The birth/death of Christ? The fall of the Soviet Union?

I agree with your concerns about all this... it does not look good from a broad perspective, but at least for America, India and Japan seem firmly on our side for more reasons than self-concern.

NATO AIR said:
If history repeats itself, what historical event foreshadowed the American Revolution? The birth/death of Christ? The fall of the Soviet Union?

I agree with your concerns about all this... it does not look good from a broad perspective, but at least for America, India and Japan seem firmly on our side for more reasons than self-concern.

The Renaissance and the emerging growth of a Middle Class.

NATO AIR said:

I am primarily speaking of nations that have had long histories. As for the fall of the Soviet Union, since it was a dictatorship, in many ways, you could say that the fall of the Tzar's was an equal historical event affecting the Soviet Union (Russia).

The American Revolution? The Magna Carta?

Since Christ is a deity, I would venture to proffer up that the creation of man, in G-d's image, was a similar event.

Kathianne said:
The Renaissance and the emerging growth of a Middle Class.
Whoops, I forgot the Reformation, if the Pope wasn't 'divine', it followed that the monarchs were not also.

Soviet Union: Collectivizing the farms and too much money on 'defense'/spying.

Jesus-nothing, that was divine.

Forum List

Back