China corners the market on rare earth metals.

If china cut us off tomorrow from all trade what would we byuy in the stores? Cell phones? TV's, and about 2/3 of non food stuffs on our shelves.
Heck we even get about 25% of the materials to make prescription medicines from China.

for a time at least we have sold our souls to the China store.

It's currently a economic stalemate. While China could do that, they would lose the majority of their exports in the process because I doubt we'd be the only country to stop trading with them completely. It'd pretty much amount to economic suicide on China's part.

I am sure that rare earth metals are used in Nuke plants as well. Military hardware, etc.

They're used in a lot of things we consider important in our daily lives to say the least and that's understating it.

Things change. China could consume so many resources that we are forced into a lifestyle that none of us would recognize, yet.

As I just posted from an article, China has more to worry about for the current moment. It cannot even sustain it's own growth, never mind the pollution and corruption in the country. On top of that, it's one child system is coming back to haunt them with many chinese men ending up marrying their first cousins or nobody at all.

The housing market in China at this point is pretty much a bubble I'd say. I've seen the articles of empty towns that China has built to just pretty much keep up their growth inflation. A house divided against itself cannot stand, and China can only keep it up for so long.

Nothing personal but I read all the same news you do and am not convinced of half of what you seem to be convinced of.

I read that there is no housing bubble in China outside of a few small cities.

I read that China is far more than sustaining it's own growth.

And I hear that the one child system is a huge benefit to China. Can you imagine if their population had swelled to 2 billion instead?

All of which evades my point. If the US consumes 25% of the world's resources to support 5% of the globe's population, what happens if another nation suddenly starts consuming 35% of the earth's resources?

That either leaves nothing for everybody else or it leaves us shit outta luck.

China is developing it's own internal market and other new markets.

I think we would hurt more than they would if we stopped trading with them or visa versa.

I think we would hurt more than they would if we stopped trading with them or visa versa.

I agree and they agree. We may be a world superpower but they own global manufacturing.

I agree and they agree. We may be a world superpower but they own global manufacturing.

there would be so many things we could not get for quite a while.

Like spare parts four military and our industrial complex.

How long would it take us to gear up to compensate? A few months if we responded as if it was a national emergency. Longer if we let private industry roll into gear.

Meanwhile our nuclear umbrella demands a 2 minute response to incoming.

Like spare parts four military and our industrial complex.

How long would it take us to gear up to compensate? A few months if we responded as if it was a national emergency. Longer if we let private industry roll into gear.

Meanwhile our nuclear umbrella demands a 2 minute response to incoming.

I know you're spending in general, but on the topic of rare earth metal:

What's important to note is that any rare metal supplies that the U.S has is likely going to be geared towards the military first and foremost. Anything left after that will likely be going towards industry.

Luckily though, Japan has come up with an alternative with this situation as you can read in the article I posted on the first page. Going forward however, either China has to drop what they have done or risk damaged relations with the U.S and other countries in the long run. In the future, the U.S and other countries will likely when possible avoid giving so much leverage to China so something like this does not occur again.

Though in general, the U.S and other countries should of been smart enough to realize that leaving a potential monopoly in the hands of a country like China wasn't the best of ideas.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-...-in-east-china-sea-near-disputed-islands.html

Japan said China, the world’s biggest energy consumer, may be drilling in an offshore gas field near a group of disputed islands in the East China Sea.

“There’s a possibility China is drilling as there’s been equipment transported that hadn’t been there before,” Foreign Minister Seiji Maehara said at the lower house national security committee meeting in Tokyo today. “We cannot definitively say, so we’re requesting China to check and analyze it while we will also analyze to confirm it.”

ok

Link added and paragraph shortened for copyright purposes - Modbert.

I am beginning to wonder if this recent surge in Chinese aggression is not the new norm, rather than a one time event.

Forum List

Back