Children in poverty

How about the Responsibility To Not Have Children You Can't Afford To Support?

Nah.. can't have any of that.

You didn't watch the video, did you, asshole? The people living in the van were making a combined $40 an hour detailing cars.

God, what a moron.

Yeah, actually I did. You leftists fuckwits never address the causes of these situations.... you just whine and conjure up new ways to take more money form the majority of us who don't allow ourselves to be in these situations.
But this is just fine and dandy because you southern murkins think IsNtReal is real and duh baybee geeziss is gonna bless murka.

U.S. Assistance to Israel

How can anyone see this and not worry about what things are coming down to in America today.

Hunger & Poverty In America - YouTube

a. Forty-three percent of all poor households actually own their own homes. The average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.

b. Eighty percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, in 1970, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.

c. Only 6 percent of poor households are overcrowded. More than two-thirds have more than two rooms per person.

d. The average poor American has more living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities throughout Europe. (These comparisons are to the average citizens in foreign countries, not to those classified as poor.)

e. Nearly three-quarters of poor households own a car; 31 percent own two or more cars.

f. Ninety-seven percent of poor households have a color television; over half own two or more color televisions.

g. Seventy-eight percent have a VCR or DVD player; 62 percent have cable or satellite TV reception.

h. Eighty-nine percent own microwave ovens, more than half have a stereo, and more than a third have an automatic dishwasher.

i. As a group, America's poor are far from being chronically undernourished. The average consumption of protein, vitamins, and minerals is virtually the same for poor and middle-class children and, in most cases, is well above recommended norms. Poor children actually consume more meat than do higher-income children and have average protein intakes 100 percent above recommended levels. Most poor children today are, in fact, supernourished and grow up to be, on average, one inch taller and 10 pounds heavier than the GIs who stormed the beaches of Normandy in World War II.How Poor Are America's Poor? Examining the "Plague" of Poverty in America

I used to be surprised at how gullible folks like you were...then I saw that Barack Obama had been elected.
And here we're being told by the Rabid Right that there is no such thing as a successful government social program. This reads like a sterling endorsement of the War on Poverty instituted by Lyndon Baines Johnson way back in the 1960s!

Imagine how that same War on Poverty would have turned out if Michelle Bachmann had waged it! Probably a lot like the War on Drugs started by the sainted Ronald Reagan. Just say "No!" to being poor!

So that I might address you in the appropriate manner, could you clarify for me, are you a lemming or a shill?
Let's try some actual data rather than the kind of bloviation that you favor:

1. Who won the War on Poverty? Well, it began in 1965, and between 1965 and 2008, the total spent on means-tested welfare for the poor- not counting Social Security or Medicare, - in 2008 dollars, was nearly $16 trillion. Obama to Spend $10.3 Trillion on Welfare: Uncovering the Full Cost of Means-Tested Welfare or Aid to the Poor

a. The total cost of WWII in 2008 dollars was $4.1 trillion.

2. So, what did that spending buy? The poverty rate in 1950 was 32%; 22.4% in 1959; 12.1% in 1969. Progress against poverty then abruptly stopped.

a. The poverty rate bounced around, went up to 15% in 1982, but never fell below the 1969 level again (except for a brief spell 1999-2001). In 2009 it was 14.3%...after the expenditure of $16 trillion.

3. “Means-tested welfare spending or aid to the poor…(non-welfare programs provide benefits and services for the general population)…in 2008, total government spending on means-tested welfare or aid to the poor amounted to $714 billion. This high level of welfare spending was the result of steady permanent growth in welfare spending over several decades rather than a short-term response to temporary economic conditions…$522 billion (73 percent) was federal expenditures, and $192 billion (27 percent) was state government funds.” Obama to Spend $10.3 Trillion on Welfare: Uncovering the Full Cost of Means-Tested Welfare or Aid to the Poor

a. By 2008, total welfare spending amounted to $16,800 per person in poverty, four times as much as the Census Bureau estimated was needed to eliminate all poverty in America- that would be $50,400 for a family of three!! Ibid.

b. Over the ten-year period from 2009 to 2018, federal and state welfare spending will total $10.3 trillion. Ibid.

c. This does not include ObamaCare.

Your knowledge of the subject has all the depth of wallpaper.

You didn't watch the video, did you, asshole? The people living in the van were making a combined $40 an hour detailing cars.

God, what a moron.

Yeah, actually I did. You leftists fuckwits never address the causes of these situations.... you just whine and conjure up new ways to take more money form the majority of us who don't allow ourselves to be in these situations.
But this is just fine and dandy because you southern murkins think IsNtReal is real and duh baybee geeziss is gonna bless murka.

WTF? Are you retarded or something?

And BTW... I was born in NYC. Last I checked, NYC isn't in the south.

WTF? Are you retarded or something?

And BTW... I was born in NYC. Last I checked, NYC isn't in the south.

It's south of ...Canada? And Maine...

Where in America do you see where people cannot find healthy food?

Yes, you might have to hop on a bus or, God forbid, walk a few blocks to a grocery store, but that requires responsibility...

Food Desert Locator

How is a food desert defined?
The HFFI working group defines a food desert as a low-income census tract where a substantial number or share of residents has low access to a supermarket or large grocery store:

To qualify as a “low-income community,” a census tract must have either: 1) a poverty rate of 20 percent or higher, OR 2) a median family income at or below 80 percent of the area's median family income;
To qualify as a “low-access community,” at least 500 people and/or at least 33 percent of the census tract's population must reside more than one mile from a supermarket or large grocery store (for rural census tracts, the distance is more than 10 miles).

Again, it might mean hopping a bus or arranging shared transportation, but people can do it if they want to...

The problem is, it's easier to go the the corner store and pick up $30 for a few junk food items than hopping a bus to the grocery store for $30 for a couple of bags of healthy stuff, including bus fare....

clearly we need to have it delivered...OR...we can create jobs buy having another busing prgm.; foods trucks, to pick people up, take them from their neighborhoods to others that have super markets, then they can shop and we can bus them back, then we can stop by the pharmacy get them their free birth control on the way, or we take them to a supermarket where they have a pharmacy, then, we have a) bought there food, b) drove them there, c) took them home, d) got them birth control, then ? e) maybe we can feed them at school too, no need to pick up lunch meat, then,f) we can add another 4.5 Billion to the prgm and feed their kids dinner too, then bus them home to sleep.

waddya you think? :eusa_whistle:

How is a food desert defined?
The HFFI working group defines a food desert as a low-income census tract where a substantial number or share of residents has low access to a supermarket or large grocery store:

To qualify as a “low-income community,” a census tract must have either: 1) a poverty rate of 20 percent or higher, OR 2) a median family income at or below 80 percent of the area's median family income;
To qualify as a “low-access community,” at least 500 people and/or at least 33 percent of the census tract's population must reside more than one mile from a supermarket or large grocery store (for rural census tracts, the distance is more than 10 miles).

Again, it might mean hopping a bus or arranging shared transportation, but people can do it if they want to...

The problem is, it's easier to go the the corner store and pick up $30 for a few junk food items than hopping a bus to the grocery store for $30 for a couple of bags of healthy stuff, including bus fare....

clearly we need to have it delivered...OR...we can create jobs buy having another busing prgm.; foods trucks, to pick people up, take them from their neighborhoods to others that have super markets, then they can shop and we can bus them back, then we can stop by the pharmacy get them their free birth control on the way, or we take them to a supermarket where they have a pharmacy, then, we have a) bought there food, b) drove them there, c) took them home, d) got them birth control, then ? e) maybe we can feed them at school too, no need to pick up lunch meat, then,f) we can add another 4.5 Billion to the prgm and feed their kids dinner too, then bus them home to sleep.

I think you're on to something ....but why stop there????

"How did Eskimo women soften the seal skins they made into clothing?They would chew on them."

How did Eskimo women soften the seal skins they made into clothing? | Answerbag

See where I'm goin'....?

...why the heck should the poor have to chew their own food???

What.....some kind of Right-Wing strategy to keep 'em busy so they can't vote???

(Notice how neatlly I've co-opted both Nosmo and TM!)

You will find that those with a low IQ will on average be poor and obease.

How can anyone see this and not worry about what things are coming down to in America today.

Are you for some reason "shocked" by the 60 Minutes piece? I live in Florida and trust me when I tell you it's bad here. The Obama stimulus kept the public sector employed but for the people that were shown in that video clip it did NOTHING to keep them working. We haven't had even close to enough jobs here for three plus years and it isn't getting any better. More and more people's unemployment benefits are running out and they've got nowhere to turn.

Now do you understand why I'm so angry that President Obama's primary concern for the first year and a half he was in office was health care reform? People need jobs...not another unfunded entitlement program that's unconstitutional and will bankrupt us in twenty years. Those poor families living in hotel rooms and in neighbor's houses? Obama didn't care about them. He was too busy trying to be the President that brought home the liberal "Holy Grail"...universal health care.

You folks talk about how Obama is going to win reelection? I'm here to tell you that he's going to have a hard time winning Florida the next time around. People in the Private Sector here feel like they were abandoned by this Administration. All that Hope and Change stuff? That falls on deaf ears when you can't feed your kids. Then the only thing you want to know is who's going to get me a damn job?

I think you're on to something ....but why stop there????

"How did Eskimo women soften the seal skins they made into clothing?They would chew on them."

How did Eskimo women soften the seal skins they made into clothing? | Answerbag

See where I'm goin'....?

What.....some kind of Right-Wing strategy to keep 'em busy so they can't vote???

(Notice how neatlly I've co-opted both Nosmo and TM!)

chewing the leather...yea, those were the days. *sigh* mastication is sooo overrated eh?

*snaps fingers* hey, maybe we create jobs by paying people to board those buses for them, go to the store , stock their refrigerator for them, hook them up to an Ativan or Valium drip, they can just sit there and watch re-runs of the View.....:eusa_think:huuummm wait, who'll cook?

clearly we need to have it delivered...or...we can create jobs buy having another busing prgm.; foods trucks, to pick people up, take them from their neighborhoods to others that have super markets, then they can shop and we can bus them back, then we can stop by the pharmacy get them their free birth control on the way, or we take them to a supermarket where they have a pharmacy, then, we have a) bought there food, b) drove them there, c) took them home, d) got them birth control, then ? E) maybe we can feed them at school too, no need to pick up lunch meat, then,f) we can add another 4.5 billion to the prgm and feed their kids dinner too, then bus them home to sleep.

Waddya you think? :eusa_whistle:

i think you're on to something ....but why stop there????

"how did eskimo women soften the seal skins they made into clothing?they would chew on them."

how did eskimo women soften the seal skins they made into clothing? | answerbag

see where i'm goin'....?

What.....some kind of right-wing strategy to keep 'em busy so they can't vote???

(notice how neatlly i've co-opted both nosmo and tm!)

chewing the leather...yea, those were the days. *sigh* mastication is sooo overrated eh?

*snaps fingers* hey, maybe we create jobs by paying people to board those buses for them, go to the store , stock their refrigerator for them, hook them up to an ativan or valium drip, they can just sit there and watch re-runs of the view.....:eusa_think:huuummm wait, who'll cook?

Don't Stop Now!

What are the chances of those living in "poverty" in the US starving as compared to those living in POVERTY in Africa?
I think that is what we have to ask. Most "poor" in this country are far healthier than the POOR in other countries.
That is what other posters have referenced.
This definition of "poverty" in the US is a joke.
The reason we have programs for the poor is not too keep our streets free of victims of starvation. That's not going to happen. You can survive on one meal a day. However, people that are hungry and constantly worried about where the next meal is coming from don't do a good job of parenting, interviewing for jobs, or much of anything else. Kids that go to school hungry don't learn. When you're hungry, it's difficult to concentrate on anything but food. Feeding the poor benefits all society, not just the poor.

There's no such thing as hungry kids in school now. Breakfast and lunch are served at school, and they are for everybody. Often the kids are hungry at home, later, but that's just discomfort, not starvation.
Of course there is. Most schools participate but not all. Not all students get free meals, only those that meet family income requirements. For students that pay, if the parent doesn't give the student lunch money or deposit money in the child's account he doesn't eat unless the child calls this to the attention of the school which is not that likely.

My daughter teaches in a very poor school where almost all students are on free or reduced lunches and breakfast. She tells me one of the big problems is kids arrive late after breakfast is served because parents, friends, are neighbors drop the kids off late. These are kids that need the free breakfast the most are the ones that don't get it.

More than 50 million Americans live in households that are classified as food insecure which means that at times during the year, meals are reduced in size or eliminated due to a lack money. When I was a kid, there were a lot of times when dinner was a peanut butter sandwich, a butter sugar sandwich, or a ketchup sandwich and breakfast was a donut. It's not that your starving, you just don't have any energy and about the only thing you're interested in is eating.

Last edited:

a. Forty-three percent of all poor households actually own their own homes. The average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.

b. Eighty percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, in 1970, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.

c. Only 6 percent of poor households are overcrowded. More than two-thirds have more than two rooms per person.

d. The average poor American has more living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities throughout Europe. (These comparisons are to the average citizens in foreign countries, not to those classified as poor.)

e. Nearly three-quarters of poor households own a car; 31 percent own two or more cars.

f. Ninety-seven percent of poor households have a color television; over half own two or more color televisions.

g. Seventy-eight percent have a VCR or DVD player; 62 percent have cable or satellite TV reception.

h. Eighty-nine percent own microwave ovens, more than half have a stereo, and more than a third have an automatic dishwasher.

i. As a group, America's poor are far from being chronically undernourished. The average consumption of protein, vitamins, and minerals is virtually the same for poor and middle-class children and, in most cases, is well above recommended norms. Poor children actually consume more meat than do higher-income children and have average protein intakes 100 percent above recommended levels. Most poor children today are, in fact, supernourished and grow up to be, on average, one inch taller and 10 pounds heavier than the GIs who stormed the beaches of Normandy in World War II.How Poor Are America's Poor? Examining the "Plague" of Poverty in America

I used to be surprised at how gullible folks like you were...then I saw that Barack Obama had been elected.
What you are describing is the working poor. I know a family that meets your description to the tee. The family consist of three kids and a single parent, no dad. They have a car that runs about as often as it doesn't run. The mother works two days a week as a maid and is waitress on the weekend. She get's food stamps and welfare payments for the kids, Medicaid, and no child support.

They have a microwave and an a color TV. Both purchased at a thrift store for about $10 each. They own their house because it was left to them by a parent. I'm familiar with this family because our church helped them out when the dad took off.

This is the new middle class.

The reason we have programs for the poor is not too keep our streets free of victims of starvation. That's not going to happen. You can survive on one meal a day. However, people that are hungry and constantly worried about where the next meal is coming from don't do a good job of parenting, interviewing for jobs, or much of anything else. Kids that go to school hungry don't learn. When you're hungry, it's difficult to concentrate on anything but food. Feeding the poor benefits all society, not just the poor.

There's no such thing as hungry kids in school now. Breakfast and lunch are served at school, and they are for everybody. Often the kids are hungry at home, later, but that's just discomfort, not starvation.
Of course there is. Most schools participate but not all. Not all students get free meals, only those that meet family income requirements. For students that pay, if the parent doesn't give the student lunch money or deposit money in the child's account he doesn't eat unless the child calls this to the attention of the school which is not that likely.

My daughter teaches in a very poor school where almost all students are on free or reduced lunches and breakfast. She tells me one of the big problems is kids arrive late after breakfast is served because parents, friends, are neighbors drop the kids off late. These are kids that need the free breakfast the most are the ones that don't get it.

More than 50 million Americans live in households that are classified as food insecure which means that at times during the year, meals are reduced in size or eliminated due to a lack money. When I was a kid, there were a lot of times when dinner was a peanut butter sandwich, a butter sugar sandwich, or a ketchup sandwich and breakfast was a donut. It's not that your starving, you just don't have any energy and about the only thing you're interested in is eating.

*shrugs* and?

?

Someone forced Caylee's mom to give birth?

That's a stretch.

Don't be ridiculous. This information was part of court records. Caylee was an unwanted child. Casey wanted an abortion and Cindy said no. Then Casey wanted to give the baby up for adoption and Cindy said no. Of course she didn't have to listen to her mother. But she was 19 years old and couldn't think for herself.

Forum List

Back