Child 'slavery' now being imported to U.S.

Child labor should be illegal in the USA

We should NOT TRADE with nations which allow it, either

I can't agree, depending on the overly expansive definition of "child labor."

Attempting to boycott or otherwise influence nations that allow it often forces participants into more dangerous and hazardous forms of work.

For many Egyptians, this is business as usual. This is true in many Muslim countries. It's going to be very difficult if not impossible to make them change their ways anytime soon because it has been part of their culture for hundreds of years.

One Muslim friend of mine commented on the anti-polygamy rule in the United States when he got a job here. He couldn't believe the US discriminated against Muslims.
Did you tell him certain Mormon sects could claim discrimination too if this were the case?

Child labor should be illegal in the USA

We should NOT TRADE with nations which allow it, either
Child labor laws are in effect here.

Agreed America already set a standard here and trade regulations should reflect those standards for child welfare protections. If not the efforts to stabilize economies for these countries are wasted on greed mongers.

Did you tell him certain Mormon sects could claim discrimination too if this were the case?

No, I just listened. But polygamy is part of Islam, so I understood his consternation. Imagine if you took a slave owner from 200 years ago and told them that owning slaves was wrong. He'd think you were crazy.

No, I just listened. But polygamy is part of Islam, so I understood his consternation. Imagine if you took a slave owner from 200 years ago and told them that owning slaves was wrong. He'd think you were crazy.
Understandable. Then again as one of a first in female contractors back when before we were common I suppose I do not see the issues the same as some men do.

After living for 10 years in Utah, I have no objection to legalizing polygamy between consenting adults. It might bring this practice out of the shadows and address some of the ongoing abuses of the welfare system that are currently plaguing places like Utah, Arizona, Colorado, and Texas.

I've always said that I have no objection to marriage between 2 or 200.

I have no objection to polygamy...but numerous objections to Islam, so that might complicate matters.

After living for 10 years in Utah, I have no objection to legalizing polygamy between consenting adults. It might bring this practice out of the shadows and address some of the ongoing abuses of the welfare system that are currently plaguing places like Utah, Arizona, Colorado, and Texas.

Perhaps they should just legalize it in Utah first, although I'm sure there will be resistance from the Christian community. I agree with you. They should legalize it. The sooner the better.

'Modern-day slavery'
The couple pleaded guilty to all charges, including forced labor and slavery. They were ordered to pay $76,000, the amount Shyima would have earned at the minimum wage. The sentence: Three years in federal prison for Ibrahim, 22 months for his wife, and then deportation for both. Their lawyers declined to comment for this story.

That is NOT enough punishment for somebody who does child slavery in the USA in 2008.

These people should have been stripped o every damned they own, those assets should be given to their victim, and they should be imprisoned for the rest of the cursed lives.

Deport their children since they were not responsible for what their parents did, and naturally took their queues about what is fair and just from them.

We want to END this problem?

We need to make it absolutely clear to the people who come here that child slavery will NOT be tolerated.

Wage slavery does and will continue to exist in every severely impoverished culture.

Thank God U.S. laws hold people to a higher standard of human rights and people like these pigs can be held accountable for their actions.

U.S. Department of Labor - Find It By Topic - Youth & Labor - Enforcement
U.S. Department of Labor - Find It By Topic - Youth & Labor - Child Labor Statistics

The trafficking of children for domestic labor in the U.S. is an extension of an illegal but common practice in Africa.

The custom has led to the spread of trafficking, as well-to-do Africans accustomed to employing children immigrate to the U.S. Around one-third of the estimated 10,000 forced laborers in the United States are servants trapped behind the curtains of suburban homes, according to a study by the National Human Rights Center at the University of California at Berkeley and Free the Slaves, a nonprofit group. No one can say how many are children, especially since their work can so easily be masked as chores.

Once behind the walls of gated communities like this one, these children never go to school. Unbeknownst to their neighbors, they live as modern-day slaves

She was told to call them Madame Amal and Hajj Nasser, terms of respect. They called her "shaghala," or servant. Their five children called her "stupid."

While the family slept, she ironed the school outfits of the Ibrahims' 5-year-old twin sons. She woke them, combed their hair, dressed them and made them breakfast. Then she ironed clothes and fixed breakfast for the three girls, including Heba, who at 10 was the same age as the family's servant.

Neither Ibrahim nor his wife worked, and they slept late. When they awoke, they yelled for her to make tea.

While they ate breakfast watching TV, she cleaned the palatial house. She vacuumed each bedroom, made the beds, dusted the shelves, wiped the windows, washed the dishes and did the laundry.
Child 'slavery' being imported to U.S. - Life- msnbc.com

Perhaps they should just legalize it in Utah first, although I'm sure there will be resistance from the Christian community. I agree with you. They should legalize it. The sooner the better.

I actually believe that legalization would face more resistance from the LDS Church hierarchy (which wants to distance itself from its roots as much as possible) than from Christians. Christians simply don't wield enough political clout in Utah to make a difference.

That is NOT enough punishment for somebody who does child slavery in the USA in 2008.

These people should have been stripped o every damned they own, those assets should be given to their victim, and they should be imprisoned for the rest of the cursed lives.

Deport their children since they were not responsible for what their parents did, and naturally took their queues about what is fair and just from them.

We need to make it absolutely clear to the people who come here that child slavery will NOT be tolerated.

'Modern-day slavery'
The couple pleaded guilty to all charges, including forced labor and slavery. They were ordered to pay $76,000, the amount Shyima would have earned at the minimum wage. The sentence: Three years in federal prison for Ibrahim, 22 months for his wife, and then deportation for both. Their lawyers declined to comment for this story.

Editec, I agree! It's great the culprits will be punished and deported, but the financial penalty should be harsh and prohibitive!

These people are loaded $$$! We should send a clear message to those who are inclined to come to America and enslave children!

Take something back from those who "tax" our system and use the funds to reinforce the protective programs already in place.

'Modern-day slavery'

Editec, I agree! It's great the culprits will be punished and deported, but the financial penalty should be harsh and prohibitive!

These people are loaded $$$! We should send a clear message to those who are inclined to come to America and enslave children!

Take something back from those who "tax" our system and use the funds to reinforce the protective programs already in place.

I don't think they should be deported.

We deport them so they can go back and exploit slaves there?

Screw that.

If they did this to YOUR kid what would you do?

I'd hang the bastards.

Good luck with that. Look at how vast the illegal alien problem is in the US. We simply either don't care or don't have the manpower to fix all the problems.

These people were so rich that they didnt even work stayed at home all day. So the fine should be pay for the child not based on minimum wage but based on what typical nannies and maids make in that area. Then on top of that a slavery fine and on top of that a fine to pay for their stint in jail so the tax payer does not have to pay for it.

I don't think they should be deported.

We deport them so they can go back and exploit slaves there?

Screw that.

That's how we can justify taking all of their assets, as you first suggested!

Share the funds with the Bureau of International Affairs:ILAB

Then deport them so they don't "tax" our system any further. :D

What are you actually referring to?

I was telling a certain poster this in another thread; she refuses to listen.

According to this UNICEF study, after the implementation of the Child Labor Deterrence Act, which prohibited the importation of goods produced by child labor, UNICEF estimates that 50,000 children lost employment positions in the garment industry, and instead were forced to resort to "stone-crushing, street hustling, and prostitution," all of which UNICEF described as being "more hazardous and exploitative than garment production." Consider the commentary of the UNICEF study regarding the wisdom of attempting to outright prohibit child labor.

While international commitment and pressure are important, boycotts and other sweeping measures can only affect export sectors, which are relatively small exploiters of child labour. Such measures are also blunt instruments with long-term consequences that can actually harm rather than help the children involved.

Hence, I think it necessary to reevaluate this issue.

I was telling a certain poster this in another thread; she refuses to listen.

According to this UNICEF study, after the implementation of the Child Labor Deterrence Act, which prohibited the importation of goods produced by child labor, UNICEF estimates that 50,000 children lost employment positions in the garment industry, and instead were forced to resort to "stone-crushing, street hustling, and prostitution," all of which UNICEF described as being "more hazardous and exploitative than garment production." Consider the commentary of the UNICEF study regarding the wisdom of attempting to outright prohibit child labor.

Hence, I think it necessary to reevaluate this issue.

Actually, I was at the UNICEF site earlier this morning, considering those statistics. As a response to the OP, I suggest imposing prohibitive fines within the U.S. and reinforcing organizations such as UNICEF that protect children from predators. You have to start some where.

Forum List

Back