Chicken jerky dog treats recall 360 dog deaths

UseCaution

Jan 15, 2013
Chicken jerky dog treats recall - FDA says treats may be linked to 2,200 illnesses, 360 dog deaths :mad: One thing for china killing the wife and my kids, it a total big deal killing my dogs ---goggle not allowed to post link

You need to wait until you reach 15 Posts before you can Copy and Paste. After that, Each "Copy and Paste" needs to be linked to It's source.

Last edited by a moderator:
January 14, 2013|by Jay Scherder, KY3 News | [email protected]

Share on emailShare on printShare on redditMore Sharing Services

SPRINGFIELD, Mo -- Two big companies are voluntarily recalling dog treats amid an investigation by New York state agricultural officials. They say the treats may be contaminated with antibiotics not approved in the United States.

Nestle Purina is recalling Waggin' Train and Canyon Creek Ranch brand treats. Milo's Kitchen is removing Chicken Jerky and Chicken Grillers home-style dog treats off the shelves.

If this all sounds familiar, it's because KY3 first told you about these treats a year ago. The Food and Drug Administration issued a warning about chicken jerky products back in September 2007 and again in 2008. In 2009 and 2010, those cases started to drop off. In 2011 into 2012, the FDA is saw a spike in cases.

The FDA has been tracking illnesses related to the chicken jerky products. The agency has received more than 2,200 reports of pet illnesses related to the jerky treats. Over the past 18 months, nearly 360 dogs have died.

Chicken jerky dog treats recall - FDA says treats may be linked to 2,200 illnesses, 360 dog deaths - KY3

January 14, 2013|by Jay Scherder, KY3 News | [email protected]

Share on emailShare on printShare on redditMore Sharing Services

SPRINGFIELD, Mo -- Two big companies are voluntarily recalling dog treats amid an investigation by New York state agricultural officials. They say the treats may be contaminated with antibiotics not approved in the United States.

Nestle Purina is recalling Waggin' Train and Canyon Creek Ranch brand treats. Milo's Kitchen is removing Chicken Jerky and Chicken Grillers home-style dog treats off the shelves.

If this all sounds familiar, it's because KY3 first told you about these treats a year ago. The Food and Drug Administration issued a warning about chicken jerky products back in September 2007 and again in 2008. In 2009 and 2010, those cases started to drop off. In 2011 into 2012, the FDA is saw a spike in cases.

The FDA has been tracking illnesses related to the chicken jerky products. The agency has received more than 2,200 reports of pet illnesses related to the jerky treats. Over the past 18 months, nearly 360 dogs have died.

Chicken jerky dog treats recall - FDA says treats may be linked to 2,200 illnesses, 360 dog deaths - KY3

Thank you for posting the news item and link.

My husband came home a couple of weeks ago with these things and they went straight into the garbage can.

• Banned
We need common sense, dog treat Legislation!

Right waste time..:cool: Call out the DOGS! Have you messed with a dogs food? And I'm not talking about the stuff I steal from the Mrs. plate, and forget the kids they get scraps

It's scary out there. Thanks for the update on this one. We're hunting a baby black and tan coonhound and I'm going to be home cooking meals and treats when we get her.

I've already seen too many pet food/treat recalls including the great melamine nightmare that affected so many to ever want to worry again.

If there was a ban on dog treat packages that held over 5 treats, think how many dogs could have been saved.

• Banned
If there was a ban on dog treat packages that held over 5 treats, think how many dogs could have been saved.

Focus on the stupid debt ceiling. Other people's pets can die for what congress feels can be a focus of importants.. Enjoy!

Oh, this hysteria again! I've been feeding my dogs Waggin' Train chicken jerky for 7-8 years now. They used to get them five days a week, as a treat at lunchtime before I went back to work. Due to all this hysteria (and the cost...they're expensive) I 've reduced it down to them only getting them about every two weeks as a reward when I trim nails, and once a month when I give one of my dogs her Adequan shot.

What I dislike about this is nothing's been proven, no link has been established between these treats and the deaths of dogs. It's all anecdotal. They watch these treats like a hawk, they're probably the safest things to eat.

My dogs, ranging in age from six years old to nine years old, are never sick.

I just dislike misinformation and hysteria and b.s. that gets blown way out of proportion on the Internet. Especially since my dogs LOVE this chicken jerky above just about any other treat. But like I said, I've reduced the amount they get and every time there's another furor I consider cutting it out altogether. *sigh*

I don't feed treats at all.

I was feeding Taste of the Wild to my dogs till the second recall from Diamond. Hell. By the time you realize that a recall is in effect your dog could be dead.

I switched from TOTW to Wilderness by Blue Buffaloe. Never had a recall. Great food. My dogs love it. In fact I use it as a treat for obedience training with Abbey.

Thanks for posting the info.

I was feeding Taste of the Wild to my dogs till the second recall from Diamond. Hell. By the time you realize that a recall is in effect your dog could be dead.

I switched from TOTW to Wilderness by Blue Buffaloe. Never had a recall. Great food. My dogs love it. In fact I use it as a treat for obedience training with Abbey.

Numerous people have recommended this food. I'm gonna get some now for my dogs.

Its on the pricey side but well worth it. Hell. I don't eat baloney and don't expect my babies to either.

It has no grain and no bi-products. It also doesn't leave that grease stain on the side of your dog bowl.

Super food and well worth the price in my opinion.

Its on the pricey side but well worth it. Hell. I don't eat baloney and don't expect my babies to either.

It has no grain and no bi-products. It also doesn't leave that grease stain on the side of your dog bowl.

Super food and well worth the price in my opinion.

My dogs are worth the price to me too :)

I always take my daughter's dogs treats when we roll into town. The last bag of treats I got them stunk to high heaven so I decided not to get them dog treats anymore. I broght them those cheese/peanut butter crackers and they LOVED them.

Forum List

Back