Chevy Volt Production Put On Five Week Hold

The Volt cost 44k. How long would you have to drive it to be cost effective? Not to mention its original intent was a prototype show car not a production vehicle.

It's just another solyndra boondoggle.

About the same price as many pickup trucks and SUV's.

Add in a BMW 3 Series, a Cadillac SRX, a Camaro, F150, Mustang, Taurus, Accord, Lexus RX, Mercedes-Benz C Class......why would someone buy a car with roughly a 20 mile range before they have to switch to gas anyhow when they can buy one of these cars for about the same price? 20 miles worth of "green" doesn't seem to make up for the lack of functionality and the batteries are an ecological disaster anyhow so the overall "green effect" is virtually zero. And those above cars will get you laid on top of it. A Volt only gets you laid by chicks with hairy armpits. :D

Yes, I paid 46k for my last new Ford. Funny thing I could haul a prius in my truck. I doubt that prius could even haul a couple of boxes of tile without bottoming out.

Thanks but no thanks.

And I know many who only haul groceries and a few odds and ends in their trucks and SUV's.

SUV is the acronym for Status Upgrade Vehicle.

And Larry David and Aaron Spelling claiming to have a Prius in their garage isn't a status statement? Call me when you actually see David or Spelling actually driving a Prius.

And I know many who only haul groceries and a few odds and ends in their trucks and SUV's.

I haven't experienced that with my customers. Most of them want the towing capacity, room, 4x4 and/or safety with a vehicle that sits higher. We do have a Denali option, but I personally have not sold one. That would be the status vehicle IMO.

I live and work in a more rural area, so the needs may be different here.

Yes, I paid 46k for my last new Ford. Funny thing I could haul a prius in my truck. I doubt that prius could even haul a couple of boxes of tile without bottoming out.

Thanks but no thanks.

And I see many who drive them for practical reasons.

Thanks but no thanks.

And as an act of exercising thier liberty...and not forced upon them through Government meddling/fiat.

I haven't experienced that with my customers. Most of them want the towing capacity, room, 4x4 and/or safety with a vehicle that sits higher. We do have a Denali option, but I personally have not sold one. That would be the status vehicle IMO.

A person with a vested finiancial interest in selling gas guzzlers.

Thanks but no thanks.

And I see many who do not.

Why do conservatives cheer the failure of an alternative to the gasoline engine?

Its not just this one, its that there have been so many up to now. What was that Einstein quote? "Insanity is repeatedly doing the same thing, the same way, expecting a different result each and every time" "We don't want to lower gasoline prices" is another classic, though from a different source.
Anyway, the Volt is down for just five weeks. The UAW workers laid off will get their full pay for the duration. GM will then restart the line, recall the workers, pay them their full wages while they're producing another 12,000 or so volts, while selling only 1200 in the meantime. GM will then find a way to put the taxpayer on the hook for this as well. There's only so much room in GE's and Comcast's budgets for battery powered company cars.

And I see many who do not.

No. You see a large suv drive by void of occupants.

That does not mean they don't have 6 kids at home or a big boat to haul or rough retain they drive through regularly.

You just judge

A person with a vested finiancial interest in selling gas guzzlers.

No, I sell to my customer's needs and interests. I make the same on similar priced vehicles. Try again.

The liberal position in these Obama years has been that the ends justify the means.

I adamantly oppose that philosophy, and I admit to a little bit of schadenfreude when liberals aren't even getting the ends that they have attempted to sell America's collective soul to achieve.

I am for achieving viable alternative energy in a way which doesn't put people who depend on our present economic forces out of work and doesn't cause starvation around the world ...

So sue me.

The Chevy Volt works and by all accounts their owners love them

It not only works, but it is just as safe as gas powered vehicles.

It has been the relentless attacks by the likes of the drug addled gasbag, Rush Limbaugh, that are hurting Volt sales. Its the GOP rooting for failure once again.

[When the Lefties aren't busy raping and murdering their fellow #OWS protestors, smashing bank windows, defecating on police cars, they resort to thinking up ideas like this. Kindee the off season for protesting right now. Where its not snowing and blowing in the states the tornados are ripping away their tents so they're forced to light up their funny, non cylindrical cigarrettes in public and consequently let their thoughts run out all over. Sandra Fluke lit hers up in front of a congressional committee. Too bad we can't put her back in time into Berlin in a certain April, 67 years ago and introduced her to fifty or sixty, maybe even a hundred, hungry, starved Russian soldiers. The only thing we have comparable today is Central Park after dark. Or Detroit.]

"ThinkProgress Blames Rush Limbaugh For GM’s Decision To Halt Chevy Volt Production…

Do they really believe one conservative radio host is this powerful? The answer to that question is apparently, yes.

Via ThinkProgress:

Relentless attacks on the Chevy Volt from Rush Limbaugh and Republican politicians have taken their toll, as General Motors has announced a five-week suspension in production of the range-extended electric car. Conservative enemies of clean energy and the Obama administration seized on isolated reports Volts with battery fires, calling the cars “Obama-mandated death traps.” Limbaugh even said GM was a “corporation that’s trying to kill its customers.”

These conspiracy-tinged partisan attacks have now cost American jobs, with 1300 workers temporarily laid off in the face of lower than expected demand for the innovative cars, even as gas prices rise."

Weasel Zippers » Blog Archive » ThinkProgress Blames Rush Limbaugh For GM’s Decision To Halt Chevy Volt Production…

Last edited:
Only a matter of time before GM (Government Motors) demands another Taxpayer Bailout. Bet on that.

God damnit, i was looking to spend $42,000 on a car so i could save money on gas.

Good question

So at what point does an electric car become economical?

Let's assume a Volt like car costs $42,000 and an equivalent gas powered car costs $22,000 and gets 40 mpg. Let's also assume future homes have solar powered charging stations. Assume you drive 280 miles a week or 7 gallons a week

If gas costs $4 a gallon you pay $1456 a year or $14,560 over ten years
If gas costs $5 a gallon, you pay $1820 a year or $18,200 over ten years

So break even is $5.50 A gallon

As long as gas companies keep gas under $5.50 they can keep electric cars off the market

Only a matter of time before GM (Government Motors) demands another Taxpayer Bailout. Bet on that.

Well Chrysler did it twice, so its not out of the question. Still, I see a very different company doing mostly smart things.

God damnit, i was looking to spend $42,000 on a car so i could save money on gas.

Good question

So at what point does an electric car become economical?

Let's assume a Volt like car costs $42,000 and an equivalent gas powered car costs $22,000 and gets 40 mpg. Let's also assume future homes have solar powered charging stations. Assume you drive 280 miles a week or 7 gallons a week

If gas costs $4 a gallon you pay $1456 a year or $14,560 over ten years
If gas costs $5 a gallon, you pay $1820 a year or $18,200 over ten years

So break even is $5.50 A gallon

As long as gas companies keep gas under $5.50 they can keep electric cars off the market

Bold is where you should have stopped...

We're talking present, not future...

Forum List

Back