Check this chart of top marginal taxes for decades

Cutting spending will help prevent our national debt from increasing, but how does cutting taxes help to pay off the national debt.

Cutting taxes may jumpstart the economy, but none of the money that is generated will work its way to the debt.

Cutting taxes leads to higher economic growth which increases tax receipts over all. That's how cutting taxes helps pay off the debt. Of course, this won't work unless spending is also cut.

No, were way too far in the hole to rely on some failed economic theory of the past. It's time to cut spending and raise taxes.

It's time for some sacrifice and pain.

Please tell me when and where that has ever worked.

Boy, talk about failed economic theories :doubt:

But... you are right about the pain and sacrifice part though.... we need to buckle down as a society and live within our means.

Last edited:
Cutting taxes leads to higher economic growth which increases tax receipts over all. That's how cutting taxes helps pay off the debt. Of course, this won't work unless spending is also cut.

No, were way too far in the hole to rely on some failed economic theory of the past. It's time to cut spending and raise taxes.

Please tell me when and where that has ever worked.

Boy, talk about failed economic theories :doubt:

But... you are right about the pain and sacrifice part though.... we need to buckle down as a society and live within our means.

Please tell me when and where we've had a $13 trillion debt before.

That's not going to get paid off by itself, you know.

The annual interest alone on that has got to be staggering. And that's money that gets spent and does absolutely no good for anybody or anything.

Last edited:
Please tell me when and where we've had a $13 trillion debt before.

That's not going to get paid off by itself, you know.

The annual interest alone on that has got to be staggering. And that's money that gets spent and does absolutely no good for anybody or anything.

We have'nt.... Obama is raising the bar so high, you're right... we may never get out from under it.
But if you raise taxes, all you are doing is taking away all incentive for anyone to bust their ass to make more money b/c it keeps getting taken by the greedy politicians (all of them).
Buisinesses only get penalized for growing and making more money.

I notice on my own paycheck, that if I work over 50 hrs in a week, they take more taxes than if I just worked 49 hrs in a week. (9 hrs of it is OT) I get put in a different tax bracket.
So why do I want to work more so they can get more of it?

Nahhh.... I dont think so.....

There is no doubt though..... Gov't needs to kill the entitlements and cut spending. Otherwise we will die as a nation.

I have to live within my means & so should they.

We have'nt.... Obama is raising the bar so high, you're right... we may never get out from under it.
But if you raise taxes, all you are doing is taking away all incentive for anyone to bust their ass to make more money b/c it keeps getting taken by the greedy politicians (all of them).
Buisinesses only get penalized for growing and making more money.

I notice on my own paycheck, that if I work over 50 hrs in a week, they take more taxes than if I just worked 49 hrs in a week. (9 hrs of it is OT) I get put in a different tax bracket.
So why do I want to work more so they can get more of it?

Nahhh.... I dont think so.....

There is no doubt though..... Gov't needs to kill the entitlements and cut spending. Otherwise we will die as a nation.

I have to live within my means & so should they.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:
Excellent post.

Note the term available in my question. Just because someone makes more money and has more assets than another does not mean that he has more protection guaranteed by government.

Of course he does. People with more assets have more to protect - try telling your homeowners insurer that you want to pay the same rates as the guy down the street in a half-abandoned mobile home.

Home and property insurance is a privately negotiated transaction, not a constitutional right the government is supposed to defend.
The police, courts and Justice you use to collect those things are not private, negotiated transactions. They are a long-established public good - as is the ultimate line of defense against people stealing our shit, the military.

Here's the data set, Vlad.

Please show me which year the New Deal wealth redistribution ended the Great Depression

1933: 24.9, 1934: 21.7%, 1935: 20.1%, 1936: 16.9%, 1937: 14.3%, 1938: 19.0%, 1939: 17.2%.

Take your time, I've only been posting it for about 6 weeks and still haven't gotten a defensible answer from anyone

your own evidence shows that the unemployment rate fell by well over 30% during the expansion that started in 1933. Even a fucking hilarious avatar can't change that.

That's not what it says at all. Unemployment decreased, but remained in the teens even as the government spent massive amounts of money.

it was reduced by 30% - despite spending that certainly wouldn't be considered "massive" by any standard.

The trend, after improving, started to deteriorate.

Yes indeed it did - in late 1937 when Congress and FDR decided to focus on balancing the budget. That should be a lesson to us.

It was only when the country entered a wartime economy in 1939 that things started to improve.

four straight years of record peacetime growth wasn't improvement? And what was it about "war time" that made things start to improve
(hint: Large deficits, massive public works programs)

Harding and Reagan's tax cuts generated economic growth while Hoover and FDR's tax increases created the Great Depression

Can you tell the class how increasing taxes in 1933, the start of the fastest four years of economic growth in modern history, could be considered "creating" a great depression that started 4 yrs prior?

I would think it has something to do with massive Government money being moved around. You seem to think that just because money was being printed that 35% unemployement is good.

1. There was never 35% unemployment. There was 25% when FDR took office, which fell to about 15% before the government quit stimulus to balance the budget. Yes, there should be a lesson there about recessed economies.
2. The government pushing money around doesn't create product. We're talking about Product here - goods and services.

Cutting spending will help prevent our national debt from increasing, but how does cutting taxes help to pay off the national debt.

Cutting taxes may jumpstart the economy, but none of the money that is generated will work its way to the debt.

It's about as much a theory as evolution buddy~

You have to shrink Government in order to get the desired effects, just like Harding did back in the 20's. You can't do part of the equation and expect the predicted result, that’s why TM fails over and over, she only looks at a single part of the BIG ass picture.

Personally, I think suspending individual income tax deductions /income tax in 08-09 would have done more to stimulate the economy than the so called stimulus plans have.

Can you tell the class how increasing taxes in 1933, the start of the fastest four years of economic growth in modern history, could be considered "creating" a great depression that started 4 yrs prior?

I would think it has something to do with massive Government money being moved around. You seem to think that just because money was being printed that 35% unemployement is good.

1. There was never 35% unemployment. There was 25% when FDR took office, which fell to about 15% before the government quit stimulus to balance the budget. Yes, there should be a lesson there about recessed economies.
2. The government pushing money around doesn't create product. We're talking about Product here - goods and services.

Sorry typo, 25% not 35%.

your own evidence shows that the unemployment rate fell by well over 30% during the expansion that started in 1933. Even a fucking hilarious avatar can't change that.

That's not what it says at all. Unemployment decreased, but remained in the teens even as the government spent massive amounts of money.

it was reduced by 30% - despite spending that certainly wouldn't be considered "massive" by any standard.

The trend, after improving, started to deteriorate.

Yes indeed it did - in late 1937 when Congress and FDR decided to focus on balancing the budget. That should be a lesson to us.

It was only when the country entered a wartime economy in 1939 that things started to improve.

four straight years of record peacetime growth wasn't improvement? And what was it about "war time" that made things start to improve
(hint: Large deficits, massive public works programs)

Your advocacy of Big Government programs because they reduced unemployment somewhat during the Great Depression neglects the fact that Big Government control of the money supply caused the Great Depression and high unemployment in the first place.

If an arsonist sets a house on fire, he's still not admirable if he throws a few buckets of water on it afterwards.

Last edited:
Your advocacy of Big Government programs because they reduced unemployment somewhat during the Great Depression neglects the fact that Big Government control of the money supply caused the Great Depression and high unemployment in the first place.

Big government? The Fed wasn't and isn't part of "big government"...but anyway....

Who said I dismiss the Feds role in helping cause the depression? That doesn't mean the federal government is incapable of improving the situation - as they did.

Personally, I think suspending individual income tax deductions /income tax in 08-09 would have done more to stimulate the economy than the so called stimulus plans have.

I think you might be right there. In principle, I think fiscal stimulus could be more effective but modern government doesn't do "effective" - it does political.

Big government? The Fed wasn't and isn't part of "big government"...but anyway....

Who said I dismiss the Feds role in helping cause the depression? That doesn't mean the federal government is incapable of improving the situation - as they did.

The FEDERAL RESERVE is not part of Big Government?!??!?!!?!?!!!!!

You poor naive little boobie.

Then why was it created with the Federal Reserve Act by Congress, and why is the Board of Governors a Federal Agency whose members are appointed by The President?

I think you might be right there. In principle, I think fiscal stimulus could be more effective but modern government doesn't do "effective" - it does political.

Your right about that. Welcome to the forum btw. Those numbers in your username seem familiar to me for some reason.:eusa_eh:

Then why was it created with the Federal Reserve Act by Congress, and why is the Board of Governors a Federal Agency whose members are appointed by The President?

Because it acts as the central bank for the United States. It is not part of government, as its owners will attest.

And by this comment you reflect you lack of understanding of the cronyist nature of the Federal Reserve and its de facto status as a fourth branch of government.

Forum List

Back