Check or Checkmate?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by DamnYankee, May 10, 2009.

1. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441
    Slow economic recovery no help for Obama
    An ambitious agenda during a tepid rebound will require money, muscle

ANALYSIS
    By JIM KUHNHENN
    Associated Press Writer

updated 12:16 p.m. ET, Fri., May 8, 2009
    WASHINGTON - Barack Obama's budget, unveiled with fanfare, fails to deal with his biggest money problems.

A molasses-slow economic recovery will make it hard to find the huge sums he'll need to reach his biggest goals — fixing health care, confronting climate change and overhauling the tax system — without much deeper cuts than he's proposing in other programs.

Obama faces not only fiscal obstacles but political ones, as well.

The White House's exercise in fiscal discipline this week amounts to micro-cutting — proposals that would trim half a percent of the overall budget — and don't address the sacrosanct entitlements of Social Security and Medicare. His effort found a scant $17 billion in potential savings, suggesting that only a strong economy and its boost in government revenue can truly put a dent in the federal deficit and pay for Obama's policy goals.

Pushing an ambitious agenda during a tepid economic rebound will require money and presidential muscle that even the popular president might find in short supply.

continued....
    Analysis: Slow recovery no help for Obama - White House- msnbc.com

I would ask, as I did pre-election, where, exactly, did Obama believe the $$ would come from to support/advance his "goals"? Did he believe that by voting for the "stimulus", and later authorizing an additional payout, that this would take care of itself, making the question irrelevant? Did he believe that the "unnecessary war" would finance his dreams once he showed us that there were other fish to fry? Finally, what happened to Pay(as you)Go?

2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Were you asking yourself if it was a good thing to ship industry offshore, or did you tell yourself the free market was more important than a free America?

3. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441
    Myself? No. My reps? Damned right!

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    So you do understand that FREE TRADE (an invention of both parties) was a deadly policy which is bankrupting the American people and the American nation?

Good for you.

5. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441

Was that a note of condescension detected in the question? By all means.... Feel free to inquire as to my "feelings" about the "bipartisan" policies of NAFTA for example.... No need to even venture offshore....

6. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    It wasn't condenseding at all.

I merely didn't know what position you took on what I consider the biggest mistake (or affront on our nation, depending on what motive you ascribe to its authors) America has made in the last fifty years.

7. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441

One would presume that, after having been given an answer (previously), the "So you do understand...." would have been unnecessary to clarify the position. Must be the coffee....

8. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    Jobs going overseas were a result of more and more government taxation and interference in business increasing over decades, and more and more massive labor expense. It had nothing to do with NAFTA or any other "free trade" agreement. You also conveniently forget that technology is responsible for the loss of more than half the manufacturing jobs.

However, when you make the US a friendly place to do business, manufacturing jobs will come back. Right now it's a hostile environment especially for manufacturing. But keep in mind it will never be like it was, technology used for jobs such as the drafting all the way to the polishing of the finished product has replaced hundreds of thousands of workers. And will continue to do so as technology continues to advance.

9. mash107

mash107 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +82
    All the companies have to go offshore. They're being forced. It's not like enough capital exists here, as the government borrows it all to spend on stimulus packages and bailouts.

10. NOBama

NOBama Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I don't think MFG will ever come back to the US and the environmentalists will make sure of it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1