Charles Daly 20 gauge pump youth model problem

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
I bought it for my wife but she doesn't like it so I took it. It's a nice small shotgun.
1_shotguns_charles_daly_20_gauge_pump_179641.jpg

Shot it a little every so often and then I loaded it with #3 buck shot and put it in the safe. Of course I took out the plug so it hold five in the mag now. It's a cheap gun at 159.00 but I'd heard the name so i figured it may be a good deal. Got it at Walmart. Ok, so a few days ago I pulled it out of the safe and decided to swap it out for the 12 gauge I keep in my work/computer room. I needed to clean it up a little so I unloaded it, or tried to, but the last two rounds would not come out of the mag. I fiddled around with it and got them out and saw that the problem was caused by the plastic mag follower being stuck in the mag bore. Dirty or what I didn't know.

So I stripped it down and tried to push the follower out but this gun has a little dimple up by the front end of the mag tube where a spring retainer with a groove slides over the dimple and then twists to keep the spring from popping out. Doesn't need it but what do I know? The dimple also keeps the follower from coming out. I Tried to remove the mag tube but I would have just ruined it so I gave up on that. The follower was free in some places but down near the receiver it would stick big time. So I squirted some oil into the mag tube and on the follower and pushed it up and down in the tube several times and let it sit for a few days. I figured if I couldn't fix it, it was junk.

Today I checked it out and it's still stuck so I got a cleaning rod and beat the follower out of the mag tube! It had a perfect little groove in the side of it made by the dimple in the mag tube. I got my Xacto knife out and cut a slot in the follower to match the mark the dimple made in it. I finished it up with a dremel tool and a file and then sanded the outside of the follower so it's perfectly smooth. I cleaned the oil out and the follower fit right in the mag tube and fell to the bottom. Perfect. Reassembled the gun and it works fine! The only negative to the story is that now I don't have any reason to buy a new one!

If anyone has one of these guns this may help you if you experience the same problem.

I bought it for my wife but she doesn't like it so I took it. It's a nice small shotgun.
1_shotguns_charles_daly_20_gauge_pump_179641.jpg

Shot it a little every so often and then I loaded it with #3 buck shot and put it in the safe. Of course I took out the plug so it hold five in the mag now. It's a cheap gun at 159.00 but I'd heard the name so i figured it may be a good deal. Got it at Walmart. Ok, so a few days ago I pulled it out of the safe and decided to swap it out for the 12 gauge I keep in my work/computer room. I needed to clean it up a little so I unloaded it, or tried to, but the last two rounds would not come out of the mag. I fiddled around with it and got them out and saw that the problem was caused by the plastic mag follower being stuck in the mag bore. Dirty or what I didn't know.

So I stripped it down and tried to push the follower out but this gun has a little dimple up by the front end of the mag tube where a spring retainer with a groove slides over the dimple and then twists to keep the spring from popping out. Doesn't need it but what do I know? The dimple also keeps the follower from coming out. I Tried to remove the mag tube but I would have just ruined it so I gave up on that. The follower was free in some places but down near the receiver it would stick big time. So I squirted some oil into the mag tube and on the follower and pushed it up and down in the tube several times and let it sit for a few days. I figured if I couldn't fix it, it was junk.

Today I checked it out and it's still stuck so I got a cleaning rod and beat the follower out of the mag tube! It had a perfect little groove in the side of it made by the dimple in the mag tube. I got my Xacto knife out and cut a slot in the follower to match the mark the dimple made in it. I finished it up with a dremel tool and a file and then sanded the outside of the follower so it's perfectly smooth. I cleaned the oil out and the follower fit right in the mag tube and fell to the bottom. Perfect. Reassembled the gun and it works fine! The only negative to the story is that now I don't have any reason to buy a new one!

If anyone has one of these guns this may help you if you experience the same problem.
Pretty gun.

Just don't beat on it while you are looking down the barrel unless you check the chamber. Otherwise find a gunsmith on the internet.

Forum List

Back