Change the NBA - here's how

Mr. Friscus

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2020
If you're a former NBA fan like me who has grown tired of the way the game has progressed, let me hear ya.

The game has become largely one-dimensional. It's mostly a two man pick-and-roll or pick-and-pop to get a mismatch, and/or drive-and-kicks to get an open, in-rhythm three point shot. Three pointer, three pointer, three pointer... back and forth.. over, and over, and over again.

Why is the highest form of basketball like this?

I saw a data-driven study that modern teams have based their offenses on. It turns out that an in-rhythm 3 point shot has the same likelihood of going in as a contested or at times uncontested unbalanced shot from 10+ feet.

So it's not that someone decided to just jack up 3's, as the game is played at this date, it's in a team's best interest to largely rely on the three pointer. Of course, not all three-point shooters are the same, and not all teams completely rely on it, but nearly all teams heavily rely on it.

Are 3-pointers bad? No. They are meant to be a risky shot, high risk, high reward. When the 3 point line was first implemented, players had rarely trained for shooting beyond 15 ft much less further. As play progressed into the 80's and 90's, three pointers slowly ascended but weren't embraced as they are today.

Nowadays, you have generations of players at all heights, all weights, and all positions who have shot 3's their whole lives. The shot isn't as risky. It's become too powerful as it is.

So, how do you solve it? You move the 3 point line back 2 feet. And what about the sidelines? You make the court 2 feet wider on each side. Given the advances in shooting, the court needs to catch up. We've seen the league tinker with the 3 point line before in the 90's by moving it in, do it again by moving it out. Bring the mid-range game back and post play. The league as it is has become difficult to watch IMO.

Too late. That's what people want. 3 point shot. Take it to the rim (becoming more rare). Defense optional. The NBA long ago ceased being a watchable product for me.
I said this in crowd full of basketball fans...in 2013. :)

If you're a former NBA fan like me who has grown tired of the way the game has progressed, let me hear ya.

The game has become largely one-dimensional. It's mostly a two man pick-and-roll or pick-and-pop to get a mismatch, and/or drive-and-kicks to get an open, in-rhythm three point shot. Three pointer, three pointer, three pointer... back and forth.. over, and over, and over again.

I saw a data-driven study that modern teams have based their offenses on. It turns out that an in-rhythm 3 point shot has the same likelihood of going in as a contested or at times uncontested unbalanced shot from 10+ feet.

So it's not that someone decided to just jack up 3's, as the game is played at this date, it's in a team's best interest to largely rely on the three pointer. Of course, not all three-point shooters are the same, and not all teams completely rely on it, but nearly all teams heavily rely on it.

Are 3-pointers bad? No. They are meant to be a risky shot, high risk, high reward. When the 3 point line was first implemented, players had rarely trained for shooting beyond 15 ft much less further. As play progressed into the 80's and 90's, three pointers slowly ascended but weren't embraced as they are today.

Nowadays, you have generations of players at all heights, all weights, and all positions who have shot 3's their whole lives. The shot isn't as risky. It's become too powerful as it is.

So, how do you solve it? You move the 3 point line back 2 feet. And what about the sidelines? You make the court 2 feet wider on each side. Given the advances in shooting, the court needs to catch up. We've seen the league tinker with the 3 point line before in the 90's by moving it in, do it again by moving it out. Bring the mid-range game back and post play. The league as it is has become difficult to watch IMO.

Stephan Curry ...

Your highest level of 5th grade community co-ed basketball is your experience .
LOOLOOOLL at a fool trying to describe a "High Level" sport.
Why are you obsessed with me? I don't care about you at all.

It wasn't any rule that turned me away from the NBA. It was their preaching against the Second Amendment. Screw them.

You challenged me, I accepted.
You Failed and ran.
Huh? I made a detailed critique of the NBA. You replied with a whining, angry reply filled with mere insults and no content....

You did nothing. I'm standing here waiting for an intelligent reply for people who read my post. You offered no content.

Huh? I made a detailed critique of the NBA. You replied with a whining, angry reply filled with mere insults and no content....

You did nothing. I'm standing here waiting for an intelligent reply for people who read my post. You offered no content.
In your other LAME thread, Look it up, then get back to me.

It wasn't any rule that turned me away from the NBA. It was their preaching against the Second Amendment. Screw them.waiting
They also promoted blatant lies about BLM causes.. they would say people who were injured actually died when they didn't die... like in Wisconsin.
In your other LAME thread, Look it up, then get back to me.
huh? What are you trying to portray here? I’m still awaiting a reply that isn’t ridiculous

Stephan Curry ...
Steph Curry certainly is the face of this new style of basketball. Two things are true at once:

1. Steph is the most outstanding shooter I’ve ever seen.
2. There’s only one Steph Curry, and even NBA players can be dumb to try to emulate his style, much less high school players or on pickup courts and open gyms

As great as he is, he’s unintentionally caused horrible, selfish basketball to become the norm in the younger generations

An hour to play the first 45 minutes, an hour-and-a-half to play the last three minutes.

BOOOOOOORRRIIIIIIIING!
Agreed. Way too many timeouts. If a team just wants to advance the ball, let them advance it.

Too late. That's what people want. 3 point shot. Take it to the rim (becoming more rare). Defense optional. The NBA long ago ceased being a watchable product for me.
I said this in crowd full
I said this in crowd full of basketball fans...in 2013. :)
I think 3 pointer fatigue will become more and more of a thing.. and the NBA cannot deny it’s atrocious ratings that have steadily declined for years while other sports, and even college basketball, has seen more steady or increased ratings.

The NBA has problems, they can continue ignoring the damning metrics and try to placate to social causes to martyr themselves, or they can try to just be a sports league again

Steph Curry certainly is the face of this new style of basketball. Two things are true at once:

1. Steph is the most outstanding shooter I’ve ever seen.
2. There’s only one Steph Curry, and even NBA players can be dumb to try to emulate his style, much less high school players or on pickup courts and open gyms

As great as he is, he’s unintentionally caused horrible, selfish basketball to become the norm in the younger generations

Wilt Chamberlain ... [giggle] ... I know I know I know ..

Basketball doesn't improve as the older fans grow accustomed to changes ... it improves as older fans die off and make room for the youth ... they ruined football when they outlawed biting ...

That would work for a little while but players would just adjust to the new distance wouldnt they? We already routinely see players pulling up from well behind the 3 point line.

They need top ruin basketball like they ruined baseball. No one over 6 feet tall, no three point shots, can only pass twice, free throws must be made from half court mark

That would work for a little while but players would just adjust to the new distance wouldnt they? We already routinely see players pulling up from well behind the 3 point line.
There’s a limit, far fewer players are comfortable pulling up from 25-26ft than 23ft 9 inches.

I actually miss the NBA of the 1990s. Games could be won with over 100 pts., but it wasn't necessarily the norm every time out. Now it feels like almost every shot is either from beyond the arc or from the line and perimeter shooting is gone.

Forum List

Back