Censorship

glacierdude

Rookie
Aug 28, 2009
Greetings all! I come before you humbly asking to participate in your various discussions. I am a political animal, conservative by nature yet willing to listen and learn from any and all. My reason for trying this new forum..........I have participated in forums in The Denver Post for a couple years and was recently ex-communicated for the second time. I am not fowl or aggressive but I do tend to say what's on my mind and in the forums on the Post you absolutely must toe the company line or face expulsion. I am hoping to find a home with people who understand and celebrate both sides of a good story.

Being banned from private property, that's not censorship. Nor is it a violation of your free speech rights.

Welcome to USMB.

Being banned from private property, that's not censorship. Nor is it a violation of your free speech rights.

Welcome to USMB.

Yes it is, you can say you are violating free speech because you own the venue, the media, censorship is censorship, regardless of the legality of the act.

If you are going to shut other people down, admit it, and know you will get some back.

Welcome to USMB.

Yes it is, you can say you are violating free speech because you own the venue, the media, but a violation, censorship is censorship, regardless of the legality of the act.

If you are going to shut other people down, admit it, and know you will get some back.
:yawn:

Free speech does not exist on private property, and really the 1st Amendment only protects your free speech rights from the government, not private entities.

Just like in your own home, you may exclude anyone you wish for any reason. Same with privately owned internet entities.

Free speech does not exist on private property, and really the 1st Amendment only protects your free speech rights from the government, not private entities..

Free speech exists everywhere a tounge or keyboard taps, now you may have a legal (if cowardly) right to censor it, but do not pretend you are not censoring.

If you are going to be an authoritarian, have the balls to be one.

By the way, my home has the freest speech in town, the cops were around just last night.

Free speech does not exist on private property, and really the 1st Amendment only protects your free speech rights from the government, not private entities..

Free speech exists everywhere a tounge or keyboard taps, now you may have a legal (if cowardly) right to censor it, but do not pretend you are not censoring.

If you are going to be an authoritarian, have the balls to be one.
I cannot help it that you do not understand the Constitution. I suppose it would be fine with you if I smeared profanity on the walls of your living room with feces, cussed you and your wife out, kicked your dog, then claimed it was all because I have free speech.

Welcome to USMB.

Yes it is, you can say you are violating free speech because you own the venue, the media, but a violation, censorship is censorship, regardless of the legality of the act.

Free speech does not exist on private property, and really the 1st Amendment only protects your free speech rights from the government, not private entities.

Just like in your own home, you may exclude anyone you wish for any reason. Same with privately owned internet entities.

You are right legally, however the word censorship still applies. If the owner chooses to stop some forms of speech it is censorship whether or not it is illegal.

Censorship Definition | Definition of Censorship at Dictionary.com

Censoring Definition | Definition of Censoring at Dictionary.com

You are right legally, however the word censorship still applies. If the owner chooses to stop some forms of speech it is censorship whether or not it is illegal.

Being banned from a privately owned forum board isn't censorship. It's being excluded from private property at the whim of the owner(s). The person is still free to move on to any number of the billions of forum boards out there. He's even free to create his own. So, he's not been censored in any real sense.

]I cannot help it that you do not understand the Constitution. I suppose it would be fine with you if I smeared profanity on the walls of your living room with feces, cussed you and your wife out, kicked your dog, then claimed it was all because I have free speech.

The Constitution is not the be all end all of my humanity.

Sorry, it is a fine document, but I will not limit myself to it, nor others.

Now you may have a "constitutional right" to censor, and more importantly in this discussion be censored, but do not pretend that is not what is occuring.

If you are going to silence another, and least have the gravity of mind to admit that is what you are doing.

]I cannot help it that you do not understand the Constitution. I suppose it would be fine with you if I smeared profanity on the walls of your living room with feces, cussed you and your wife out, kicked your dog, then claimed it was all because I have free speech.

The Constitution is not the be all end all of my humanity.

Sorry, it is a fine document, but I will not limit myself to it, nor others.

Now you may have a "constitutional right" to censor, and more importantly in this discussion be censored, but do not pretend that is not what is occuring.

If you are going to silence another, and least have the gravity of mind to admit that is what you are doing.
You wouldn't be censoring me if you kicked me out of your house for smearing shit on the walls, cussing you and your wife out, and kicking your dog. You wouldn't be inhibiting my free speech either.

You wouldn't be censoring me if you kicked me out of your house for smearing shit on the walls, cussing you and your wife out, and kicking your dog. You wouldn't be inhibiting my free speech either.

That would just be a normal party at my house.

Still shit smearing is an act, not speech, though it seems to be modern art according to those pronoucing our according.

Cursing my wife is foreplay and kicking my dog is a very, very, dangerous thing to do.

Now if you write or say you want to do any or all of these things and I remove it or stop it, I am censoring you.

Last edited:

Being banned from a privately owned forum board isn't censorship. It's being excluded from private property at the whim of the owner(s). The person is still free to move on to any number of the billions of forum boards out there. He's even free to create his own. So, he's not been censored in any real sense.

Are you insane, read the definitions. If a person with authority BANS speech or the written word it is censorship. It is completely legal and acceptable on private property BUT it is still censorship.

Still shit smearing is an act, not speech, perhaps even modern art.

Cursing my wife is foreplay and kicking my dog is a very, very, dangerous thing to do.

Now if you write or say you want to do any or all of these things and I remove it or stop it, I am censoring you.
Not if it's on your own private property.

You don't understand, it's clear.

Still shit smearing is an act, not speech, perhaps even modern art.

You are the one that can not grasp simple concepts. We are NOT arguing what is legal or illegal, we are not arguing what is right or wrong. We are stating a fact. If a person with the authority stops speech or written words for some reason from being spoken or written THAT is censorship.

We are not even arguing what is your rights. We are simply stating that the ACT of preventing spoken speech or written words is censorship.

See, you have a whiff of a tyrant, the old I am not doing anything immoral or wrong if I own it argument.

Tyrants just expand that out to the entire nation, afterall, they own it.

Freedom is a mighty tree but born from a tender seed, it can be killed writ large by killing the most private and minute aspects of freedom.

Last edited:

Are you insane, read the definitions. If a person with authority BANS speech or the written word it is censorship. It is completely legal and acceptable on private property BUT it is still censorship.
It's not censorship in any real sense.

Semantics, gotta love it. If you'll look back, you'll see I didn't initially address censorship, because I fully well know what the book definition is. Even the word filter on vBulletin forum board software is called a "censor." That doesn't mean it's in any way REAL censorship.

Only the government can violate your free speech. Networks can and do censor, because the government tells them they must. Owners of private property are doing neither when they kick someone out.

See, you have a whiff of a tyrant, the old I am not doing anything immoral or wrong if I own it argument.

Tyrants just expand that out to the entire nation, afterall, they own it.

Freedom is a tender seed, it can be killed writ large even in the most private and minute places.
You're intentionally trying to put me to sleep.

I am a realist. And for real, we have no actual free speech rights on someone else's private property. It just is what it is.

And freedom isn't a "tender seed" it is a rock.

Forum List

Back