Westwood here

westwood

Rookie
Jul 11, 2009
Minnesota
Hello everyone. I'm a left leaning Libertarian from Minnesota. I own and operate a retail store.

I am in favor of a flat tax, budgetary cuts, lower corporate tax, and single-payer health coverage. I am pro-business and a social liberal.

Hi, Westwood. I'm new here too. I'm still checking things out but from what I've seen this is a fun site.

WSelcome.

On what planet is any libertarian in favor of a monopoly on medical care, let alone anything else?? :eusa_eh:

Thanks dude. I guess I'm on planet Westwood. Every party needs to flex somewhat on their beliefs. As a business owner, I know that single payer and tax reform will help save American jobs. I'm not looking at "the principle of the thing". I look at what's more cost effective and what policies are going to put more money back into consumers pockets. That's were I'm coming from. Call me a right leaning Dem if you'd like. It's just a label anyway.

Last edited:
WSelcome.

On what planet is any libertarian in favor of a monopoly on medical care, let alone anything else?? :eusa_eh:

Thanks dude. I guess I'm on planet Westwood. Every party needs to flex somewhat on their beliefs. As a business owner, I know that single payer and tax reform will help save American jobs. I'm not looking at "the principle of the thing". I look at what's more cost effective and what policies are going to put more money back into consumers pockets. That's were I'm coming from. Call me a right leaning Dem if you'd like. It's just a label anyway.

How do you "know" this?

WSelcome.

How do you "know" this?

Because employer provided insurance is killing us. I don't blame any company for leaving the country. I hate it, but it's the reality of trying to do business in the US. We have some of the highest corporate taxes, wages, and health care costs in the world. Now that's a toxic combination. How much more of a burden can business put on it's shoulders? We will either evolve with the rest of the industrialized world, or our country will die a slow death. It's not going to happen without tax reform and major departmental cuts. #1 we can shrink the heck out of our world military empire.

How much more of a burden can business put on it's shoulders?
How about a 8% penalty tax on your GROSS receipts if you have payroll over $250K and don't provide medical? Think about that. If you're at $200K right now, you're gonna find a way to do business without those couple of new hires you were considering. If you're a little over, say $270K, you're going to either not replace attrition, or you're going to fire. It's a total dis-incentive.

This column sums it up pretty well for you:

Obamacare will kill jobs, studies say | employers, health, insurance, tax, obamacare - Opinion - OCRegister.com

We will either evolve with the rest of the industrialized world
Are you kidding? This isn't evolution, it's de-evolution. You actually think the rest of the industrialized world is better? LMAO, making me laugh out loud and stuff, when I think of the $3 a month laborer in China, the total lack of an EPA there and many other places, no regulation at all, and you think THAT is evolution?

C'mon now...

You do have one thing right though. Towering punitive taxation and vast over-regulation has made the US a hostile place to do business. But the answer isn't MORE government! The answer isn't MORE mandates! The answer isn't MORE taxation! The answer isn't MORE regulation!

How about a 8% penalty tax on your GROSS receipts if you have payroll over $250K and don't provide medical? Think about that. If you're at $200K right now, you're gonna find a way to do business without those couple of new hires you were considering. If you're a little over, say $270K, you're going to either not replace attrition, or you're going to fire. It's a total dis-incentive.

The 8% tax is not on gross revenue. The tax is on payroll expenses. The "proposal" applies to payrolls of $400k+. There is a graduated schedule down to payrolls of $250k. Payrolls of $250k and under are exempt from the proposed 8% tax.

The 8% tax is not on gross revenue. The tax is on payroll expenses. The "proposal" applies to payrolls of $400k+. There is a graduated schedule down to payrolls of $250k. Payrolls of $250k and under are exempt from the proposed 8% tax.
I see you neither read the article I posted, nor read the bill itself.

And neatly bypassed all the other points.

But yes, it is additional payroll tax. I stand corrected on that.

You're FOR it?

Last edited:

You're FOR it?

I'll correct your posts one item at a time.:razz:
Yes, I read part of the article. I've read 100 articles from conservative columnist just like Deroy Murdock. Nothing new....
Am I for it? Not 100%. But I am 100% against the current system.
BTW, it's hard to read your posts with that avatar moving all over the place.

You're FOR it?

I'll correct your posts one item at a time.:razz:
Yes, I read part of the article. I've read 100 articles from conservative columnist just like Deroy Murdock. Nothing new....
Am I for it? Not 100%. But I am 100% against the current system.
BTW, it's hard to read your posts with that avatar moving all over the place.
Adblock the avatar.

This columnist is a con? I generally pay attention to the facts presented, not who's presenting them. Care to dispute any of the facts?

Tell me, if it's so damned urgent that we get THIS plan now, why did Dems block healthcare reform back in 2003? And, why does THIS bill not take effect for over a YEAR after passage, if this is so, so urgent?

Sounds like a faux emergency, to me.

You're telling me you're willing to just give them complete control over it, because what we have now is just so, so bad. That seems like an emotional stance, not an intelligent or practical one.

The house has some problems, granted. but instead of fixing the leaky roof, replacing the sagging steps, fixing the faulty plumbing and electrical, and changing out the bath water, THIS plan proposes to tear the whole house down and replace it with a new, trillion dollar one that will still have a leaky roof, sagging steps, bad plumbing and electrical, and throws the baby out with the bath water!

AND tries to pack millions more into it without any increase in square footage!

The plan makes no sense, and the fast, hard sell just didn't fly.

No one's against health care reform. That LIE is part of the problem here. The people are simply against this far over-reaching, Marxist PLAN that doesn't make sense, and cannot even be explained. Look how many times Obama himself has waffled on it.

Forum List

Back