CBS 60 Minutes Reporter Lara Logan 'Rips' Into The White House's Afghan And Al Qaeda

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
by War News Updates Editor War News Updates: CBS 60 Minutes Reporter Lara Logan 'Rips' Into The White House's Afghan And Al Qaeda Message

This was no ordinary rubber chicken affair. That was my reaction to the extraordinary keynoter at Tuesday’s Better Government Association annual luncheon.

Lara Logan, a correspondent for CBS’ “60 Minutes,” delivered a provocative speech to about 1,100 influentials from government, politics, media, and the legal and corporate arenas. Such downtown gatherings are a regular on Chicago’s networking circuit. (I am a member of the BGA’s Civic Leadership Committee, and the Chicago Sun-Times was a sponsor).

Her ominous and frightening message was gleaned from years of covering our wars in the Middle East. She arrived in Chicago on the heels of her Sept. 30 report, “The Longest War.” It examined the Afghanistan conflict and exposed the perils that still confront America, 11 years after 9/11.

Read more .... Reporter Lara Logan brings ominous news from Middle East - Chicago Sun-Times

My Comment: The part of her speech that caught my eye was the following ....

.... Eleven years later, “they” still hate us, now more than ever, Logan told the crowd. The Taliban and al-Qaida have not been vanquished, she added. They’re coming back.

“I chose this subject because, one, I can’t stand, that there is a major lie being propagated . . .” Logan declared in her native South African accent.

The lie is that America’s military might has tamed the Taliban.

“There is this narrative coming out of Washington for the last two years,” Logan said. It is driven in part by “Taliban apologists,” who claim “they are just the poor moderate, gentler, kinder Taliban,” she added sarcastically. “It’s such nonsense!”

Kudos to her for going into the "lions den" and tell the truth to a room that is essentially filled with President Obama supporters and who have "bought" the administration's line on Afghanistan and on our war against radical Islam.

longknife, et al,

There is a lot to this 60 Minutes report which is very true and quite disturbing.

.... Eleven years later, “they” still hate us, now more than ever, Logan told the crowd. The Taliban and al-Qaida have not been vanquished, she added. They’re coming back.

“I chose this subject because, one, I can’t stand, that there is a major lie being propagated . . .” Logan declared in her native South African accent.

The lie is that America’s military might has tamed the Taliban.
(COMMENT)

First, one must understand that the US Military is second to none; and in a conventional warfare engagement, the US Military can defeat any opponent. But 100% success on the battlefield is not the same as winning.

Our military leadership is geared to fight in a conventional fashion, using superior fire power, control of the air, owning the night, and fast maneuverability, to defeat its opponents. But an insurgency is NOT a conventional warfare confrontation. And it is quite obvious, after a decade of evolvement, that the standard military approach (The Counterinsurgency Program alla GEN Petraeus) is not working. But you cannot argue with a room full of 4-Star Generals, with 10 rows of ribbons, each having fought in every war since Vietnam, having commanded hundreds of thousands of troops in battle, that --- they are unsuccessful; or, that their strategy (after 10 years) has failed.

More importantly, I have sat many an evening (albiet way in the back) with many of the senior staff for several of these manor commanders having a cigar. Whether it was for GEN Casey, Petraeus, Odierno, or Austin, those men and women on the staff for each of them, all said the same thing. Our CG has a handle on it. They treat these Generals like Roman Tribunes that could do no wrong; deities in their own right. There is essentially no way to credibly criticize them on strategy. All cut from the same cloth, they are products of a very regimented ticket punching system.

So, in this leadership environment, I cannot see a way for a winning strategy to emerge.

Most Respectfully,
R

... 30 000 drones are to hover over the heads of Americans ... so that no undue critical thought enters their minds...

Forum List

Back