CBO says we can't sustain this country. Conservatism will win by default

Saw the news today that the CBO said by 2020, we'll be bankrupt if we stay this course. That our only hope is to cut spending by 20%, leaving us with little more than medicare, medicaid, maybe SS, and defense. Any other way, we go broke, bankrupt. I'm sure many liberals will cheer at the demise and fall of our powerful nation, but it's true, it's gonna happen if we stay this course.

What does that mean? It means the utopian dream of liberalism is dead in the water. It will never happen. We'll never be able to actually fund this healthcare overhaul. Welfare will dry up. Municipal services will be dwindled down to fire, police, ems, road maintenance.

In short, conservatism is going to win out....by default. We'll have no other choice. We'll all have to work harder. Save more. Be more responsible. More self-reliant.

Ironic, isn't it? Liberal spending and ideals have led us into bankruptcy................but the end result will be one in which conservative minded people will be the ones who flourish, and liberal minded people will likely suffer greately because they'll have to fend for themselves. Hmmm. Interesting.

Profligate defense spending, starting with Reagan, is what has pushed us toward bankruptcy. When conservatives sign on to putting defense on the cutting board, I'll believe they're serious about getting the fiscal house in order.

Until then, shut UP!!!!!!!!

Saw the news today that the CBO said by 2020, we'll be bankrupt if we stay this course. That our only hope is to cut spending by 20%, leaving us with little more than medicare, medicaid, maybe SS, and defense. Any other way, we go broke, bankrupt. I'm sure many liberals will cheer at the demise and fall of our powerful nation, but it's true, it's gonna happen if we stay this course.

What does that mean? It means the utopian dream of liberalism is dead in the water. It will never happen. We'll never be able to actually fund this healthcare overhaul. Welfare will dry up. Municipal services will be dwindled down to fire, police, ems, road maintenance.

In short, conservatism is going to win out....by default. We'll have no other choice. We'll all have to work harder. Save more. Be more responsible. More self-reliant.

Ironic, isn't it? Liberal spending and ideals have led us into bankruptcy................but the end result will be one in which conservative minded people will be the ones who flourish, and liberal minded people will likely suffer greately because they'll have to fend for themselves. Hmmm. Interesting.

This is the same fucking CBO that assured us this fucking ram down health care scheme would SAVE the country money right???

This is the same fucking CBO that assured us this fucking ram down health care scheme would SAVE the country money right???
The CBO is trusted by both Republicans and Democrats. It is non-partisan. They crunch the numbers and tell Congress the projected cost of bills and their impact on the budget. Your statements are nonsense.

We have not seen the financial impact of the healthcare law and won't for some years. We have seen projected deficits based on projected costs, projected cost savings, projected revenues, and projected growth.

Haven't you heard? The new Dodd/Fwank bill is going to make everything better! Couple that with Obamacare and the stimulus... heck... we're on smooth seas now!

Profligate defense spending, starting with Reagan, is what has pushed us toward bankruptcy. When conservatives sign on to putting defense on the cutting board, I'll believe they're serious about getting the fiscal house in order.

What are you... 5?

The CBO is trusted by both Republicans and Democrats. It is non-partisan. They crunch the numbers and tell Congress the projected cost of bills and their impact on the budget. Your statements are nonsense.

We have not seen the financial impact of the healthcare law and won't for some years. We have seen projected deficits based on projected costs, projected cost savings, projected revenues, and projected growth.

just put willow on ignore. he/she has never made an intelligent post even with 1000s of chances.

What are you... 5?

his point is valid. all the right does is whine about the lefts social programs and all the left does is whine about the rights imperialism. neither side is ever going to cut anything until forced

Well, that may very well be.. but if the Republicans get in there and do the same old shit... then what's the diff? I hope I am wrong...

Heck...the G20 effectively told Obama to poound sand when he suggested MORE be spent.

Great Britain is cutting spending by 25%...and other EU Countries are following suit...

They see their err...Obama thinks that he can...just the right people haven't proved history wrong...even though History has always proved to be correct.

Obama is damaged goods...and even brain Damaged...he and the US Congress that could care a wit of the lessons of History. They think they can outwit solid lessons...and We have to pay for their folly.

Unacceptable.

Hurry up November. Time for an enema.

November will be very interesting. could literally make a lame duck president with 2 years left of his first term. absolutely nothing of contention will pass after november

I unfortunately disagree.

If the Dem's somehow hold on to power in November, they'll immediately switch to "Save Obama" mode.

BUT........if the Dem's lose large amounts of power, and then they become lame duck Congressmen for 2 months? Well, they know they'll be out in a couple months, so they can't save themselves or Obama. But, they'll still have power for 2 months.

It will be political kamikazes. They'll try to pass the most radical, unthinkable bills they can before they have to leave office. Those 2 months will be extremely dangerous for the American people, as there will be nothing to lose for the lame duck Dems in Congress who will keep power for 2 months after elections.

Very interesting point.

Funny that national defense is charged directly as a responsibility of the government... and yes, there can be improvements to what is spent and how effectively....

But unless the DEMs start cutting ALL spending on things not directly charged to the government by the constitution (welfare programs, NEA, etc), I will not believe they are serious about anything for the country's improvement

I have one word for you... and you do the research....

New Jersey

Old news O.R. By June Rubio had pulled even with Crist and I suspect he is probably leading by a point or two by now. Crist, however, is receiving good marks for his handling of the oil spill in Florida and his approval ratings have come up considerably. It's still a long way to August and anything could happen, but right now it is a toss up.

I wonder how it would look if we really had an informed electorate knowledgeable of the real issues instead of so many schoolyard taunting type mentalities that obviously don't have a clue what they're talking about but dutifully recite the snarky party line with predictable sound bites?

If we could send only those people to the polls who had thoroughly studied the issues and who knew all the good, the bad, and the ugly involved in each one, I wonder who would be elected?

Do you think those who consider themselves liberal would still be liberal if they were able to actually see and understand the net effects of liberal policies?

You had eight years, and totally screwed this nation. Do you really think we want to give you dingleberries another chance?

And the DEMS have had Congress since '06. Obama has tripled what he was 'Given'...Hows that unemployment figure? 10%?

Not getting better? It ain't Bush...or Republicans...

Democrat Statists OWN this...Lock, Stock, Barrel.

And they want to expand on FAILURE.

Way to GO...:clap2:

Well, you yapping asses had from 2001 to 2007 to get things right, by your own figures. And you had two failed wars, and drove the nation nearly into a major depression.

No, you dumbies own this just as Gramm owns the deregulation of the banks with the full support of the you Conservatives.

Wow, your college professor did a marvelous brainwashing job on you! "8 years of failed policy", "We inherited it from Bush", "Bush's fault, 8 years, Bush's fault, you had your chance".......cry us a river.

Two failed wars? Really? Hmmm. I think Iraq is in FAR better shape right now than it was 10 years ago, July of 2000, right? BTW, that was when Bill Clinton was still doing fly over sporadic bombings of Baghdad, which he did his entire 8 years, basically kicking the can down the road rather than commit to the problem.

Afghanistan? Well, I recall it was going very good until Barry got elected. Once the locals realized the USA may not stick around, and that our committment (well, Obama's) was shady, they immediately began to destabilize and consider the thought of a US departure and Taliban retaliation. Your boy fu**ed that one up. Sort of like the cops cleaning up a gang infested neighborhood, but then bailing out halfway through and leaving the locals to guess if they'll be protected or not.

And as hard as the left tries to deny it, this economic crash is tied squarely to housing. And the push from the left to give risky loans to people who should never get one is the culprit. Barney Franke, the Clintons, Fannie and Freddie. Liberal ideology is what caused this. Period.

Oh, and to the ass-clown who said I was putting party over country with this post...........how about some reading comprehension? I know, thats asking a lot from a liberal, but the point is, if/when our nation collapses, conservatism will "win" by default because that will be the ONLY means to survive. Self-reliance, responsibility, saving, morality, proactive lifestyles. There won't be a big poppa gov't to save the libbies.

Me, I'd personally prefer everyone live like that NOW while it's still an option rather than a necessity. We'd avoid a lot of suffering and grief that way. But.....thats just a pipe dream as much of our population is dumb enough to vote for liberals because it "feels good".

Lefty run places have greater income disparities, harsher lives for the poor, and greater levels of dependency and clientism.

Actually, dummy, if you'd do a little research, you'd realize that you have this backwards.

I dare you to compare Sweden (strong social safety net - zero poverty / widespread prosperity) vs Russia (little to no social safety net, free (well, Oligarch controlled) markets and a miserable populace).

Last edited:
So why is it that, after being elected, 'conservative' politicians never act very 'conservative'?

Defenders of conservatism of course claim that the politician in question never was a conservative in the first place...because of course conservatism can't fail, it can only BE failed....

That explanation always makes me wonder why cons keep getting fooled by charlatans.

The other possible explanation is that conservatism doesn't really work.

That explanation has some data to back it up.

There hero of the conservative movement, Reagan - even HE abandoned the core principles of conservatism - he signed the largest tax hike in history. He never vetoed a spending bill and jacked spending like nobodies business. He significantly increased the size of the government.

Why? Because he failed conservatism? Or because he recognized the narrow ideology simply doesn't work?

Well, that may very well be.. but if the Republicans get in there and do the same old shit... then what's the diff? I hope I am wrong...

This is it in a nutshell. Republicans aren't some kind of saints immune to the same temptations and stick and carrot tactics the Democrats submit to. And once they get into Congress, they are just as focused on keeping themselves there as the Democrats are. But, just as the Democrats are, they also become further and further removed from the people they are there to represent, and become completely out of touch with what the people are feeling and thinking.

The ONLY remedy that I see is to revert back to strict Constitutional intent as the Founders intended. That means that the federal government do NOTHING that is not specifed as its responsibility in the Constitution. That means that Congress will pass no legislation and implement no policy of any kind that benefits one group of people and not all equally.

If they would return to that principle, it would eliminate almost all of the graft, corruption, and non essential spending in Congress. The legislators would be able to complete their work in short order and spend most of their time back in their home states learning and experiencing what their constituents are going through.

They can't eliminate entitlements overnight without hurting the people they have made dependent on them, but they can begin the slow, careful process of rolling them back and returning them to the states where they belong.

Once Congress is sufficiently reformed that way, the political parties won't matter all that much other than the vehicles through which everything is thoroughly debated and examined before they make it into law.

The main thing we need to cut is defense - SERIOUSLY CUT DEFENSE (we should also probably change the name to "intervention"). The MIC cash cow is what is sucking the very life out of this country and has been since Reagan. Imagine where we'd be with all the money back that has been borrowed for the STUPID, USELESS war on "terror". Bring our soldiers home. Deploy specially trained intelligence officers to be our ears over there and defend our homeland AS IS THE INTENT OF DEFENSE. Seal our ports and borders and operate like we are a country with one brain cell between us for a change. Sheesh.

Last edited:

This is it in a nutshell. Republicans aren't some kind of saints immune to the same temptations and stick and carrot tactics the Democrats submit to. And once they get into Congress, they are just as focused on keeping themselves there as the Democrats are. But, just as the Democrats are, they also become further and further removed from the people they are there to represent, and become completely out of touch with what the people are feeling and thinking.

The ONLY remedy that I see is to revert back to strict Constitutional intent as the Founders intended. That means that the federal government do NOTHING that is not specifed as its responsibility in the Constitution. That means that Congress will pass no legislation and implement no policy of any kind that benefits one group of people and not all equally.

If they would return to that principle, it would eliminate almost all of the graft, corruption, and non essential spending in Congress. The legislators would be able to complete their work in short order and spend most of their time back in their home states learning and experiencing what their constituents are going through.

They can't eliminate entitlements overnight without hurting the people they have made dependent on them, but they can begin the slow, careful process of rolling them back and returning them to the states where they belong.

Once Congress is sufficiently reformed that way, the political parties won't matter all that much other than the vehicles through which everything is thoroughly debated and examined before they make it into law.

I'm all for getting money out of politics.

But it will be a pretty tough trick, particularly since talk show conservatives have been convinced that it's a 1st amendment violation to limit the ways with which money can influence politics.

Until we get real campaign reform and voters get the courage to vote for the best candidate, not the best party, nothing will change. There are good ideas from both the right and the left, however the legislation that passes is based on party philosophy and is often impractical.

The biggest problem American faces is polarization, not government spending, deficits, immigration, healthcare, or financial reform. These issues can be solved if we work together.

I think Henry Ford said it best when he said “If there is any one secret of success, it lies in the ability to get the other person's point of view and see things from that person's angle as well as from your own.”

Forum List

Back