Our politicians have no respect for us

steeliniraq

Sep 22, 2007
NC
I read a lot of people on here yelling that the democrats are better or the republicans are better, blah, blah, blah. I think they all suck. The elected "leadership" shows zero respect for America or the people they were elected to represent. All I see in these people are people that think they are better than all of us who spend our money faster than we can give it to them and always make the easy wrong choice over the hard right choice. Just my two cents.

I think you pretty much have it right.

I think I understand what you're saying and I agree that the upper echelons of elected politicians may seem disconnected, but I have to ask - do you know an elected politician? I have a friend who is a high ranking Illinois senator and to me he's just a nice guy who happens to be in politics. We talk on the phone a few times a year and meet in person often. He'll even call me once in a while and ask my advice on issues. There are some really good people out there in politico-land.

I think I understand what you're saying and I agree that the upper echelons of elected politicians may seem disconnected, but I have to ask - do you know an elected politician? I have a friend who is a high ranking Illinois senator and to me he's just a nice guy who happens to be in politics. We talk on the phone a few times a year and meet in person often. He'll even call me once in a while and ask my advice on issues. There are some really good people out there in politico-land.

I don't think most of us have that privilege..

Most people that seek public office do so out of a real desire to be of service to their community and their nation. Unfortunately they find themselves up against two inescapable truths. In order to get elected they have to accept contributions from big business and special interest groups. They find themselves indebted to their contributors, doing their bidding instead of the people who elected them. Secondly, they accept the philosophy that end justifies the means. They vote for bad legislation to get support for good legislation. They follow their party's lead instead of following their conscience. But, that's politics. I guess Mr. Smith doesn't go to Washington any more.

I read a lot of people on here yelling that the democrats are better or the republicans are better, blah, blah, blah. I think they all suck. The elected "leadership" shows zero respect for America or the people they were elected to represent. All I see in these people are people that think they are better than all of us who spend our money faster than we can give it to them and always make the easy wrong choice over the hard right choice. Just my two cents.

See, this guy gets it.

I think I understand what you're saying and I agree that the upper echelons of elected politicians may seem disconnected, but I have to ask - do you know an elected politician? I have a friend who is a high ranking Illinois senator and to me he's just a nice guy who happens to be in politics.
Ah, yes....when it comes to sweeping-out the appropriate-incumbents (on Election Day)....it's always the other-guy's incumbent that needs-to-go.

:rolleyes:

Most people that seek public office do so out of a real desire to be of service to their community and their nation.
....At least, that's the Default-justification (for running-for-office) most politicians use.....then, you've got politicians like John Boner, who (more-often-than-not) is lookin' for employment where there's no actual-WORK (or, THINKING), required....with a great pen$ion, afterwords!!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpOUctySD68[/ame]​

Last edited:

See, this guy gets it.
Ah, yes.....

"I think they all suck."​

....that magical-excuse for NEVER voting/paying-attention-to-what's-goin'-on!!!

These would be the same people who're always saying "Ya' know what's gonna HAPPEN, don't you??"....and, that time-honored "I GUARANTEE you...." (typically followed by some straight-outta-the-ass prediction).

c_cliff_02.JPG

A good place to start is by going to a city council meeting. There should be someone on the council that is accountable to your area or neighborhood.

Also, keep an eye out for events where politicians will be in attendance. Go to your state's capitol city and visit your senator and/or congressperson's office. Get involved.

I used to live near one of the members of the city council. She was a delightful lady, very nice, enjoyed gardening, and even when she was mayor for about 18 months she would be out there in her yard every nice day mulching the roses or whatever.

Politicians are good people. But their job is getting elected. They truly want to do what you expect, but the only way they can do that is assume that the most votes means the most popular.

It seems that the worst complainers about the fact politicians don't listen is among those who don't participate. Write polite letters, write thank yous when they get it right, show up and be a good citizen.

A good place to start is by going to a city council meeting. There should be someone on the council that is accountable to your area or neighborhood.

Also, keep an eye out for events where politicians will be in attendance. Go to your state's capitol city and visit your senator and/or congressperson's office. Get involved.

OOPS. I misspoke. I didn't even think of local. Yes, I do know local.

Eh, that's fine if most politicians don't respect me, I don't respect them either.

I know 3 Illinois politicians & am related to one of them. They all seem like nice decent people on the outside. They do not know they are corrupt. My relative has his entire family running all aspects of a large Illinois city, talk about nepotism. I give him trouble about it but he just blows it off & says that way he can trust what is really going on in other departments.

Forum List

Back