Caution to all

The online community is changing rapidly. I encourage all who contribute here to avoid radical speech, threats, references to use of firearms or anything that could put a target on your back. Social media and posting boards such as this one are a rich source of information for investigative agencies who now have a permanent record of your positions on just about everything. Be smart.... The idea of posting in the morning and getting a knock on your door in the afternoon is getting closer by the day.

Jo
you forgot to mention that republicans need to be doubly careful about what they post .

The online community is changing rapidly. I encourage all who contribute here to avoid radical speech, threats, references to use of firearms or anything that could put a target on your back. Social media and posting boards such as this one are a rich source of information for investigative agencies who now have a permanent record of your positions on just about everything. Be smart.... The idea of posting in the morning and getting a knock on your door in the afternoon is getting closer by the day.

Jo

Nah -- we're not there yet.

Having the capacity to store data is one thing, but actually physically responding to some offending post or remark is another. That requires an individual agent, investigator, or whatever to put down their donut or their pastrami sandwich and physically go check you out, which they don't wanna do because they're more worried about fentanyl traffickers than they are some right or left-wing internet troll.

That's not to say we couldn't get there. China has set up a pretty sophisticated surveillance state by requiring the installation and use of government-monitored spyware in every communication device. They are also constantly collecting all kinds of biometric and location data on individuals - like all the time.

If the U.S. were ever to become a one-party state, then that's when we enter dystopia.

Nah -- we're not there yet.

Having the capacity to store data is one thing, but actually physically responding to some offending post or remark is another. That requires an individual agent, investigator, or whatever to put down their donut or their pastrami sandwich and physically go check you out, which they don't wanna do because they're more worried about fentanyl traffickers than they are some right or left-wing internet troll.

That's not to say we couldn't get there. China has set up a pretty sophisticated surveillance state by requiring the installation and use of government-monitored spyware in every communication device. They are also constantly collecting all kinds of biometric and location data on individuals - like all the time.

If the U.S. were ever to become a one-party state, then that's when we enter dystopia.
I expect that sometime in the not too distant future All of the permanently recorded records will be reviewed and people will be pursued and prosecuted as the government agencies find it convenient to do so.

The internet laws have not yet been firmly established; I don't know of any statute of limitations on them as of yet. What's to prevent some law enforcement agency from taking a 5-year-old post and prosecuting somebody for it?

Last edited:
Well, I'm glad I've never posted about that $90,000 I withheld from the IRS four years ago.
You know I know fellow got falsely accused of making money that he didn't report.
It wasn't true; and yet they put him through hell and nearly confiscated his home before it got fixed. It was a false accusation from the get-go. That's all it takes.

I expect that sometime in the not too distant future All of the permanently recorded records will be reviewed and people will be pursued and prosecuted as the government agencies find it convenient to do so.

The internet laws have not yet been firmly established; I don't know of any statute of limitations on them as of yet. What's to prevent some law enforcement agency from taking a 5-year-old post and prosecuting somebody for it?

You can't be prosecuted for just posting things that piss off Democrats or Republicans.

We are there. Everything you touch on the internet is tracked. With the advent of AI, those donut and pastrami sandwich eaters are not needed anymore--indeed, they have had those since I was in the military over 50 years ago.

They can absolutely intercept messages and dig up the digital trail, and the volume of information they can find out about you is massive -- if they have a need. But in the end it takes actual people (not to mention $) to do something with data. Big Brother can flag potential threats all day long, but it's people who decide what to do with that information and whether it's important enough to pursue. Bloggers and online publications love to scare the piss out of people because they get readers that way.

China is different because they have a completely different kind of political system and relationship with their citizens. Individuals have no rights to privacy or free expression, so local or national police don't have to get a judge's permission and they don't need to pay internet companies to assist them with data collection. The entire system is set up to run through government-run and monitored data centers. They have software that can flag shit in real time, and cracking down on dissent is just as important to them as finding drug dealers, so the likelihood that you'd get a knock on your door is considerably higher there than it is here.

51b1d614eab8ea967f000000

ghows-PJ-5f12f303-5ca8-1767-e053-0100007f686e-a309bfe9.jpeg

map-gifs-4-1529435205.gif

MV5BZTNkMDAwNWItNjkyMy00OTg2LTg0YzYtNjdlOWQ0Y2FlMzY3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

~S~

With the DOJ that is in power in the US today, all you have to do is piss off the right person and your life will be toast. Just ask the FBI and IRS whistleblowers.

I'm not going to say it never happens - there's always a risk in pissing off powerful people. But the average poster on USMB isn't going to be on some fed radar.

A bunch of retired/semi-retired folks typing Let's Go Brandon, lololol

Nah. They probably got better shit to do, like monitoring my commie ecolo-nut posts ranting about the 6th mass extinction. I guarantee you, I'm the real enemy of the state here. It's not the US of America, it's the Corporate States of America, and I'm the one actually pointing that out.

But yo, NSA, in case you're intercepting my messages and thinking of turning them over to DHS and FBI, I promise I'm harmless. I mostly sit around and post here and elsewhere 'cause I'm bored, I drink, and I listen to the Eagles and other 70s shit on YouTube.

Just passin the time, passin the time. I'll be carbon and fossil fuel soon enough.

Forum List

Back