Cats now killing billions of other mammals

Predation is not necessarily a bad thing.

Over the years man has reduced the predator population...the feral cats are filling a vacancy we created.

Not really.

They aren't really preying on the same animals say wolves and cougars went after..

Birds, squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks...all eaten by both of those predators.

But I'm not just talking about the largest north american predators...think about lynx, foxes, mink, weasels...pretty much anything that would kill and eat domesticated fowl...have been reduced in numbers.

My cat who was a stray that found a home with us, has certainly got to take credit for 1 billion of those bird kills :( and maybe a million of the snow shoe hare rabbits! :eek:

P.S. I don't know why I bother buying cat food for her....

EDIT: she was fixed when she first got here too.

AND, my sister is a school teacher and she bought discount SPADE and NURTURED coupons at a discount through the school somehow, $20 each and bought 10 of them and every stray cat she found in the neighborhood, she captured, got them fixed, nurtured them till well, then paid for all their shots and then found homes for them.....in FACT I would not have my eldest cat, who is 16 now, if it were not for my sister forcing her on to me!!!

she captured 2 cats of her neighbor across the street too and told the neighbor she was going to have them fixed...her ignorant neighbor refused to have them fixed and in 3 years the whole neighborhood was filled with stray cats that my sister was capturing and fixing. the lady neighbor told her to go ahead and get them fixed, but she was not going to pay for them.....sheesh, this lady was the problem all along....

BUT, I guess I should be happy that her cats were not fixed, because I would not have my eldest cat, who I love dearly, if she had fixed them.

owners are one our biggest problem. We offer FREE spay neuter if you bring in your cats....and they just flat wont do it.

That's MR. Mr. H to you, pal.

Wind turbines have the cats bested.

Now go to bed.
I doubt that massive amounts of birds are flying into turbines. It would be very stupid of them.

You dare dispute the the infallible authority of MR. Mr. H? :evil:

It can't be "MR. Mr. H" unless your first name is "Mr."

However, I have it on good authority that your first name is actually "Preparation."

One of the funniest Phil Hendrie bits was when he had a "guest" on who advocated rounding up all 20 million cats in America and parachuting them onto a deserted island in the middle of the ocean because cats were dangerous and hated humans.

"You know when a cat kills a mouse, brings it into the house, then drops it by your feet? The cat is saying 'You're next!'"

lol

Mouse? My cats bring me baby bunnies. With the heads chewed off.

It's only freaks you out the first time. ("AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH WHERE IS BUNNY'S HEAD?"). Then you get jaded. When the cats brought me a bigger bunny who was merely mutilated instead of dead, I merely shrugged went to get a hatchet. For the bunny, not the cats.

Forum List

Back