Cats hair is clumping

One of my cats has this fascination with water. I don't know how many times she's fallen into my tub of bubble-bath while I was getting ready to take a bath. She constantly looks for fish or something. Moving water fascinates her. Sometimes I put a couple of cubes of ice in her water to give her something to play with. I just bought the cats one of those water dishes that purifies the water and cycles it through a pump. She went nuts for that.

One of my cats has this fascination with water. I don't know how many times she's fallen into my tub of bubble-bath while I was getting ready to take a bath. She constantly looks for fish or something. Moving water fascinates her. Sometimes I put a couple of cubes of ice in her water to give her something to play with. I just bought the cats one of those water dishes that purifies the water and cycles it through a pump. She went nuts for that.
funny-pictures-cat-is-in-fraternity.jpg

that crap is acid...I remember using it once, long, long ago and yup, lovely red painful rash.

Long haired pets suffer with this and can become a problem as the clumps get lager and dencer the skin is torn......Time to get the scissors out and trim the mut...NOW theliq
he seems healthy and in good spirits but his hair on his back is growing in thick clumps. any ideas?

Okay, I take it this is a long-haired cat. Possibly Persian? Persians are notorious for matting up. And that sounds like what is happening, the fur on your cat is matting up. You need to comb the cat frequently. And I say comb, not brush, because a comb will help prevent matting better.

To get rid of the mats, it's as theliq says. You may need to cut them. But you must be very, very careful not to cut the cat's skin!! And yes, these matts can be very uncomforable to the cat and can tear their skin.

If you're not sure what to do, do as someone suggested and take the cat to the vet for a shave.

I've had a couple of Persian cats, and they take constant maintenance or they matt up like this. One cat I had would matt up if you didn't comb him at least every other day!

Okay, I take it this is a long-haired cat. Possibly Persian? Persians are notorious for matting up. And that sounds like what is happening, the fur on your cat is matting up. You need to comb the cat frequently. And I say comb, not brush, because a comb will help prevent matting better.

To get rid of the mats, it's as theliq says. You may need to cut them. But you must be very, very careful not to cut the cat's skin!! And yes, these matts can be very uncomforable to the cat and can tear their skin.

If you're not sure what to do, do as someone suggested and take the cat to the vet for a shave.

I've had a couple of Persian cats, and they take constant maintenance or they matt up like this. One cat I had would matt up if you didn't comb him at least every other day!

its not a persian. i cut 2 out and will cut out the rest.

its not a persian. i cut 2 out and will cut out the rest.

What kind of cat is it?

If it's a shorthair and the hair is matting, there's a problem..but I've never seen a shorthair cat whose hair matted.

I guess we need to know if it's clumping or matting.

Cats often hang out under vehicles, and oil can leak down on their backs and make the hair clump. If you have an outside cat and it's happening, smell it. If it smells like oil, that's your answer.

If it's a shorthair and the hair is matting, there's a problem..but I've never seen a shorthair cat whose hair matted.

Cats often hang out under vehicles, and oil can leak down on their backs and make the hair clump. If you have an outside cat and it's happening, smell it. If it smells like oil, that's your answer.
I have. It's often because the fur is so fine it doesn't come away when it sheds.

I have. It's often because the fur is so fine it doesn't come away when it sheds.

Asshole cat!

I'm allergic to the kittehs, though I didn't realize it until I was grown. And the finer their hair, the more they bug me.

I still love them though. If I didn't have Mylo we'd have a couple. As it is I go to my mom's and her two FREAKS FROM HELL won't leave me alone. I can feel the dander flying up my nose, and they want to hang out on the couch right behind my head. If I turn my head too fast I bump into Stitch..and she's fairly quick with her claws, so it isn't exactly COMFORTABLE on any level.

The other cat is out and out psychotic.

Asshole cat!

I'm allergic to the kittehs, though I didn't realize it until I was grown. And the finer their hair, the more they bug me.

I still love them though. If I didn't have Mylo we'd have a couple. As it is I go to my mom's and her two FREAKS FROM HELL won't leave me alone. I can feel the dander flying up my nose, and they want to hang out on the couch right behind my head. If I turn my head too fast I bump into Stitch..and she's fairly quick with her claws, so it isn't exactly COMFORTABLE on any level.

The other cat is out and out psychotic.
Cats know who is allergic, I swear. I love em and am not allergic but I don't do litter boxes. And since it's dander, getting sphinxes probably wouldn't work for you. Then again, I have friend with 2 of them, and they'e freaky little adorable gremlins. But act like siamese, so not the most friendly, but they have their moments.

I don't do litter boxes, either. If I have cats I have a situation where they can safely (as safely as possible) go outside. I don't like to have cats, though, because outside is never safe for them, and they always get hurt/killed/disappear, eventually...and it makes me feel guilty. Plus it's such a pain to keep the population under control..if you aren't johnny on the spot with everything, you end up with 150 feral cats slinking around shitting under the hedges.

NOT that I'm particular about my yard, it's a horrific mess....holes from the dogs and the kids, and 3 foot milkweed in the back...but I really don't like cat crap...and the dogs eat it.

New Topics

Forum List

Back