Catholic leaders warn Gingrich, Santorum on race baiting

Maybe the catholic "leaders" should clean up their own house first. Pedophile clergymen, complicity with the Nazis to exterminate the Jews in Europe, and assisting Nazi war criminals to escape Europe after World War 2, are just three things that come to mind.

Hypocrites.

I love it! In your zeal to defend Newt, you must have forgotten he is Catholic! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Gosh, all those terrible things. Now it fits! I can see now why Newt converted to this religion. They're his kind of people!

Last edited:
To break down these numbers, we look at how many Whites are in the population as a WHOLE. If Blacks make up less 14% of the population and are almost 40% of all receipients, then they represent about 2.5 times their actual population. Since Whites are over 50% of the total US pop., they represent less than their overall piece of the pie, population-wise. Hispanics are at least 15% of the general population, so they take only about as much as what their population represents. Why am I writing this? Because I am tired of the misrepresentations on this issue. I read so many on here claiming that more Whites are on welfare than Blacks (true, in terms of raw numbers), yet not accounting for the fact that there are over 4X as many Whites in this country than Blacks! In statistics, you cannot go by mere numbers.

It looks like race baiting is not apart of Catholic teachings. In fact, it goes against it.

NEW YORK (RNS) -- More than 40 Catholic leaders and theologians have issued an open letter to Catholic candidates Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum, warning them “to stop perpetuating ugly racial stereotypes on the campaign trail.”

The signers of the open letter, which was released Friday (Jan. 20), cited Gingrich’s repeated criticisms of Barack Obama as a “food stamp president” who encourages government dependency for the poor, especially for African-Americans.

They also criticized Santorum’s statement that he does not want “to make black people’s lives better by giving them somebody else’s money.” Santorum later said he intended to use a word other than “black” but did not say what that word would have been.

At Thursday’s debate in South Carolina, both Santorum and Gingrich continued to blast the Obama administration for allegedly encouraging the use of food stamps.

Those statements have been criticized for encouraging racially charged associations between blacks and government welfare, and have drawn sharp denunciations from civil rights groups and many pundits.

In their open letter, the Catholic leaders -- many of them associated with progressive and Democratic causes -- say that raising “racist caricatures is irresponsible, immoral and unworthy of political leaders.”
Religious Herald - Catholics warn Gingrich, Santorum on race baiting

so what did these folks, exactly, have to say to the democrats?

Things are fucked up when the truth is now race baiting. Honestly, Gingrich was a thousand percent right.

Except of course, that he wasn't.

What part of blacks being 2.5 times more likely to be on food stamps then whites is not true?You can't seriously reduce entailments without doing such! Newt is right.

What's wrong with a republican to fight for jobs and getting people off of such? That's the very platform republican run on in the first place. REDUCING government, Reducing taxes and getting people off of welfare.
That has to be one of the most ignorant comments I have ever seen on here.

No one is more pre-disposed to be on food stamps based on the colour of their skin.

How can the GOP fight a problem when they clearly don't even understand it?

What part of blacks being 2.5 times more likely to be on food stamps then whites is not true?You can't seriously reduce entailments without doing such! Newt is right.

What's wrong with a republican to fight for jobs and getting people off of such? That's the very platform republican run on in the first place. REDUCING government, Reducing taxes and getting people off of welfare.

Actually, 57 percent of the SNAP recepients are white.

Thanks for playing.

critical thinking is not your friend. try again.

Maybe those clerics should have a little sit-down with Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, the DNC, MSLSD and the Boiking himself, before they point fingers at anyone else.

The OddOne is right about this. Both parties need to clean up the act about stereotyping.

No one is more pre-disposed to be on food stamps based on the colour of their skin.

But yet it is true. Your ability to think through things is truly lacking. :eusa_whistle:

Maybe those clerics should have a little sit-down with Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, the DNC, MSLSD and the Boiking himself, before they point fingers at anyone else.

The OddOne is right about this. Both parties need to clean up the act about stereotyping.

Well, if that stereotyping is based on reality...Then it is true. We're becoming a society that can't push people to better themselfs. It is a sickness that will lead to our down fall.

It looks like race baiting is not apart of Catholic teachings. In fact, it goes against it.

NEW YORK (RNS) -- More than 40 Catholic leaders and theologians have issued an open letter to Catholic candidates Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum, warning them “to stop perpetuating ugly racial stereotypes on the campaign trail.”

The signers of the open letter, which was released Friday (Jan. 20), cited Gingrich’s repeated criticisms of Barack Obama as a “food stamp president” who encourages government dependency for the poor, especially for African-Americans.

They also criticized Santorum’s statement that he does not want “to make black people’s lives better by giving them somebody else’s money.” Santorum later said he intended to use a word other than “black” but did not say what that word would have been.

At Thursday’s debate in South Carolina, both Santorum and Gingrich continued to blast the Obama administration for allegedly encouraging the use of food stamps.

Those statements have been criticized for encouraging racially charged associations between blacks and government welfare, and have drawn sharp denunciations from civil rights groups and many pundits.

In their open letter, the Catholic leaders -- many of them associated with progressive and Democratic causes -- say that raising “racist caricatures is irresponsible, immoral and unworthy of political leaders.”
Religious Herald - Catholics warn Gingrich, Santorum on race baiting

so what did these folks, exactly, have to say to the democrats?

The Catholic Church wrote to both sides in the 2008 election, requesting that they both stop using race as a weapon. But, apparently, this is negated by the fact that a few Catholic Priests are guilty of pedophilia.

As an aside, conveniently, these 'outraged' individuals ignore the fact that more Priests are 'de-frocked' because they're caught with a woman... or that professions such as sports coaches, teachers, and voluntary workers in areas such as the scouts have far more individuals being accused than the Catholic Church.

I am not the least impressed or persuaded by what the Catholic leadership thinks about any of the candidates. Any group that will harbor and enable pedophiles loses all credibility with me...forever!
Except, of course, when a Catholic priest refuses to give Holy Communion to a Dem like Kerry during the 2004 campaign, then it's big news to CON$!

But yet it is true. Your ability to think through things is truly lacking. :eusa_whistle:

No it's not you ignorant piece of crap.

I dare you to post evidence.

He would be right - if the Catholic Church had not also said the same thing to Democrats in 2008. But they did. They often 'reprimand' politicians for using minorities as political weapons.

No it's not you ignorant piece of crap.

I dare you to post evidence.

Yeah that's what I thought.

I am not the least impressed or persuaded by what the Catholic leadership thinks about any of the candidates. Any group that will harbor and enable pedophiles loses all credibility with me...forever!
Except, of course, when a Catholic priest refuses to give Holy Communion to a Dem like Kerry during the 2004 campaign, then it's big news to CON$!

no, its not really and if we they had the megaphone the left provides to the favored, it might have been an issue, which imho, it wasn't, as for any reasonable person, thats between kerry, his god and the prelates of that god here, who assume to pronounce such, its none of our biz.

no racist, more white single mothers are on welfare than any other group.

try again.

no racist, more white single mothers are on welfare than any other group.

try again.

That's true... but I think.... (meaning I do actually think that I'm right but I haven't rechecked the stats)... that statistically speaking.... the group most likely to be on welfare are black single moms. That's not racist.... I mean given the ratio of blacks to whites in the US... I'm pretty sure that black single moms are over-represented on welfare stats. That is our problem - not theirs.... there is something wrong - we are letting those people down. We need to be honest, stop calling people racists for talking about it... and address it to help them. Don't you think?

Forum List

Back