Catholic Church Abuse of Indigenous Canadian Children (in the past)

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

After watching a "60 Minutes" report on the Canadian indigenous childrens' residences which were largely run by Roman Catholic religious communities in Canada, I did a huge amount of internet research and found the linked article, which seems to tell exactly the same story.

For those too lazy to read it, the story is basically as follows: The Canadian government made a value judgment that its indigenous people were being held back by their primitive culture, customs. lifestyles, and values. Let's call it 1850. The government called upon certain religious communities (basically, communities of nuns) to run childrens' residences with the objective of integrating the children into Canadian society. Accordingly, they were taught English, converted to Catholicism, and encouraged to move away from their own native cultures. Living in these residences was apparently compulsory when one was available.

Recently it has come to light that large numbers of the residents died while in residence, and those deaths were neither formally recorded or reported to their families. THousands of unmarked graves have been found and it is assumed that many more remain to be found.

People who lived in these residences (now basically retirement age) report various sorts of abuse, some of it rather horrific, and demand formal apologies from the Church, and various agencies that were involved. They feel that their heritage was stolen from them, resulting in all sorts of later problems in life that are well documented and known.

This very disturbing history and its recent reporting raises a lot of questions, at least in my mind.
  • Why aren't these reports taken with even a microscopic amount of skepticism?
  • Isn't it convenient that not a single person who was on the staff of these residences is still alive to be questioned to at least see another point of view?
  • Why is no consideration given to the fact that these residences were under-funded, and hence not able to deal effectively with the kinds of diseases that were prevalent at the time, especially for people who are living in close quarters?
  • The comparisons of death rates are between indigenous kids in the residences, and non-indigenous kids in the general population. This is irrelevant. The appropriate comparison is between kids in the residences and indigenous kids who were living in the indigenous communities.
  • While institutions like this have always been a magnet for perverts, the main authorities were communities of nuns. I have a hard time believing they would tolerate large scale sexual abuse of the kids. They just don't operate like that.
Certainly this story is worthy of public attention, but providing a one-sided presentation, where the side making the points is looking to benefit financially, defies logic.

Someone could do a better job of it.

After watching a "60 Minutes" report on the Canadian indigenous childrens' residences which were largely run by Roman Catholic religious communities in Canada, I did a huge amount of internet research and found the linked article, which seems to tell exactly the same story.

For those too lazy to read it, the story is basically as follows: The Canadian government made a value judgment that its indigenous people were being held back by their primitive culture, customs. lifestyles, and values. Let's call it 1850. The government called upon certain religious communities (basically, communities of nuns) to run childrens' residences with the objective of integrating the children into Canadian society. Accordingly, they were taught English, converted to Catholicism, and encouraged to move away from their own native cultures. Living in these residences was apparently compulsory when one was available.

Recently it has come to light that large numbers of the residents died while in residence, and those deaths were neither formally recorded or reported to their families. THousands of unmarked graves have been found and it is assumed that many more remain to be found.

People who lived in these residences (now basically retirement age) report various sorts of abuse, some of it rather horrific, and demand formal apologies from the Church, and various agencies that were involved. They feel that their heritage was stolen from them, resulting in all sorts of later problems in life that are well documented and known.

This very disturbing history and its recent reporting raises a lot of questions, at least in my mind.
  • Why aren't these reports taken with even a microscopic amount of skepticism?
  • Isn't it convenient that not a single person who was on the staff of these residences is still alive to be questioned to at least see another point of view?
  • Why is no consideration given to the fact that these residences were under-funded, and hence not able to deal effectively with the kinds of diseases that were prevalent at the time, especially for people who are living in close quarters?
  • The comparisons of death rates are between indigenous kids in the residences, and non-indigenous kids in the general population. This is irrelevant. The appropriate comparison is between kids in the residences and indigenous kids who were living in the indigenous communities.
  • While institutions like this have always been a magnet for perverts, the main authorities were communities of nuns. I have a hard time believing they would tolerate large scale sexual abuse of the kids. They just don't operate like that.
Certainly this story is worthy of public attention, but providing a one-sided presentation, where the side making the points is looking to benefit financially, defies logic.

Someone could do a better job of it.
The last Indian residential school closed in 1996.

With exception to unmarked Graves found in May, there have been ongoing documentaries, interviews, etc for the past several years of the residential abuse in Canada.

This didn't just go on in Canada. It went on here. Indian boarding schools. It wasn't just the Catholics either.

This is how we wound up with the Indian Child Welfare Act which came out in 1978.
About ICWA » NICWA
We addressed it here. Canada hasn't until recently.

It's not about a bunch of "evil white man" either unless you have never heard about it and that's usually the younger generations. You know, like the ones that read about Reagan for the first time in college and then post on the forum.

Obviously, I don't have the whole picture. I wasn't there. But the reports that I've seen on this matter have been totally one-sided and utterly un-documented. And it cannot go un-noticed that there is money to be had from filing these complaints and lawsuits. Again, where is the figurative grain of salt?

In the 60 Minutes piece, one guy said that he was disciplined by being forced to kneel on a baseball bat for three days. Am I the only one whose Bullshit Meter was activated by this claim?

In my extensive experience with similar people, the women who become nuns dedicate their lives to service to God and the Church. Some of them are not nice, but those are the exception. I simply do not believe that communities of such women dispensed gratuitous cruelty on such a massive scale, when their mission was to teach and acculturate their charges.

Which was a good idea that has fallen out of favor.

I don't know how many children were taken into these re-education compounds, so I don't know if that death rate was outrageous. Most indigenous were killed by European viruses.

I don't know how many children were taken into these re-education compounds, so I don't know if that death rate was outrageous. Most indigenous were killed by European viruses.

In 1996?

I don't watch 60 minutes. I have watched multiple documentaries regarding the issue here in the US. I have had multiple trainings on ICWA and the series of actions and laws leading up to it. I have been following Canada's coming to terms with their history.

If your starting point is that Natives are subhuman and it's your job to make them human than the disciplinary techniques aren't so far fetched.

I don't watch 60 minutes. I have watched multiple documentaries regarding the issue here in the US. I have had multiple trainings on ICWA and the series of actions and laws leading up to it. I have been following Canada's coming to terms with their history.

If your starting point is that Natives are subhuman and it's your job to make them human than the disciplinary techniques aren't so far fetched.

It was pretty bad. They cut their hair, changed their names and religion... Separated them from their families. All in the name of Christianity.

It was pretty bad. They cut their hair, changed their names and religion... Separated them from their families. All in the name of Christianity.
Beat them for speaking in their own language. Generational trauma. Cultural genocide.

I came across this a few minutes ago. I'm not sure why they want a "Truth" commission now. It's not hidden and laws were changed in the 1970s.

We don't need to get bogged down in idiocy for another decade because people were unaware and now need a political distraction. We have too much that needs to be done in the here and now.

There is a lot of suppressed information, and institutions have not greatly change, what comes to light to the public is a small part of all that is meant to not ever come our. Racism and inequalities continue and there are many who work to keep it that way. Ungodliness grows, it is not diminishing.

I came across this a few minutes ago. I'm not sure why they want a "Truth" commission now. It's not hidden and laws were changed in the 1970s.

We don't need to get bogged down in idiocy for another decade because people were unaware and now need a political distraction. We have too much that needs to be done in the here and now.
The last of these indian schools closed in 1996.

Forum List

Back