Caterpillar won't build North American plant in Illinois

Of boo fucking hoo....

I haven't worked for a wage in YEARS and I guarantee you I make more than most union "workers" in this country. Of course, in getting to this point I have had to take risks, battle a battalion of government regulations, etc. to get to a point where I can call my own shots.

But hey, you wanna join the job club, pay protection money to union fat cats and vote as your told.. have at it! This is after all, America!

Sounds like jealousy talking. Not that I blame you for it.

Jealous! :confused: The global corporation I work for has 500-550 workers in the the Chicagoland area. We don't have (nor need) a Union to screw us up. Yet we have health ins, dental ins, LTD, STD, 20 FTO days, AD&D, Life Insurance, Legal Assistance Plan, 5 sick days, 401(k) with a nice match and high salaries (at least 75% of the workers make over $60K, I guarantee 50% over $75K and at least 20% make six digits year in and out). We don't have Unions stealing money out of each paycheck to make outraganous demands on my employer, so they lay-off workers, ship the jobs to another state or another country! No thank you!

I was recently promoted from sales to the legal department! It had nothing to do with seniority, because I didn't have it. It had to do with merit. I didn't need a Union to help me, nor do any of the other 500+ workers here.

Were not jealous of Unions, we pitty the poor soles forced to get robbed, raped and abused by Unions!

Really?? WOW!! :eek:

100% of our employees over 60k. And that includes the entry level Laborers if you count their overtime.

Since we're comparing wages and benefits......

As an Operator my base wage is in excess of 75k (not including overtime). Along with that I am getting a pension check from Excelon (formerly ComEd) (remember them?), full medical, dental, AD&D, Life Insurance (6 X base wage), 30 vacation days per year, UNLIMITED sick days and a very generous 401K. BTW...along with the 401K I get a good, "defined benefit" pension along with medical coverage, all collectable at age 55 with at least 10 years service.

Plus (as you know) I live in an area that has a cost of living that is probably HALF of what yours is. I look out my back door and all I see is land.

Sounds to me like you're getting the short end of the stick!!

But I will admit you get good wages. And the reason you have good wages and benefits? To make sure you don't vote a union in, plain and simple. So indirectly you can thank the unions for getting you such good pay and benefits.

No matter the industry, labor unions helped bring workers' wages to a livable--and some critics say much more than livable--level. These pay increases filtered to the non-union working world, as companies were forced to increase wages to compete for good workers, though there is still a gap between union and non-union workers. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, unionized workers earned a median average of $908 per week in 2009, as compared with $710 for non-union labor.

To compete for quality help, an employer must offer wages and benefits that compete favorably with other companies in the industry. Plus, the threat of unionization forces some employers to pay higher wages and extend better benefits, if for no other reason than to keep the organizers out.

Good Things About Labor Unions | eHow.com

My brother got a job at an Ethanol plant about 6 months ago. When he inquired about the pay and benefits he was told that it wasn't decided yet (This is a brand new plant). But his boss told him that the employees would receive VERY generous pay and benefits so that they would not be tempted to "petition a union".

Absolute 100% true story.

Business climate in Illinois, that's certainly understandable. As is the fact that NC is a right to work state. Let's see. In Illinois a plant full of union stooges. In NC a plant with no union stooges. Decisions, decisions...

Agreed. I can understand why a business would choose to employ people that allow themselves to be exploited. Heck, they'll work for less, for less benefits and they have to kneel down and open wide to get ahead.
You have that backwards. Unions exploit people. Unions are racketeers...forcing members to pay dues for job protection and the "privilege" of being a member of the group that drives up the cost of everything manufactured or built exclusively with overpriced labor. Unions destroyed the American auto industry.

Let me see...did the workers not have to take cuts in pay and benefits under the reorganizing?

Unions suck!

The Teachers Unions are destroying public education and have created what is nothing more than a protected-jobs program for incompetent, worthless "teachers that cannot be fired".

The entire population of the United States suffers from the activities and corruption of labor unions.

Bullshit. I've seen both sides of that coin and I feel sorry for you that you don't know any better.

Tip: Don't believe everything you hear on RW radio. :eusa_shhh:

Jesus Jurior look at the date of this. That announce was prior to 2008! Prior to the tax increases! Prior to President Obama! Prior to Gov Quinn! Prior to the Blago impeachment! Prior to the collaspe! Heck Obama was a Jr. Senator at the time and Quinn was the worst Lt Gov. in IL executive history!

Who you trying to crap Goose?

Let's fast-forward to 2012 shall we AND AFTER THE QUINN BUSINESS KILLING TAX INCREASES! 2K jobs that should have been granted to rural Illinois are now going to RIGHT TO WORK NORTH CAROLINA!!!

Caterpillar won't build North American plant in Illinois | Comcast.net

PEORIA -- Caterpillar Inc. will not be building its new North American plant anywhere in the state of Illinois, officials with the company told local leaders Tuesday, with part of the reason being continued concerns about the business climate in the state. The company will instead focus on a location closer to its division headquarters in Cary, N.C., Peoria County officials were told in an email sent to them shortly after the close of business and later obtained by the Journal Star. The plant stood to bring with it from Japan roughly 1,000 jobs manufacturing track-type tractors and mini hydraulic...

Uhhh.....CAT has already expanded its Illinois operations.

In support of this capacity expansion, the company will invest more than $1 billion from 2008 through 2010 in five existing facilities in Illinois (East Peoria, Joliet, Decatur, Aurora and Mossville).

Caterpillar to expand capacity for Illinois operations

You know? For all of the whiny assed crying you do about our big, mean old state it just occurred to me that never once have you ever said what you would do to fix it.

So how about it? Tell me what you think should be done.......

Business climate in Illinois, that's certainly understandable. As is the fact that NC is a right to work state. Let's see. In Illinois a plant full of union stooges. In NC a plant with no union stooges. Decisions, decisions...

Agreed. I can understand why a business would choose to employ people that allow themselves to be exploited. Heck, they'll work for less, for less benefits and they have to kneel down and open wide to get ahead.
You have that backwards. Unions exploit people. Unions are racketeers...forcing members to pay dues for job protection and the "privilege" of being a member of the group that drives up the cost of everything manufactured or built exclusively with overpriced labor. Unions destroyed the American auto industry.

Let me see...did the workers not have to take cuts in pay and benefits under the reorganizing?

Unions suck!

The Teachers Unions are destroying public education and have created what is nothing more than a protected-jobs program for incompetent, worthless "teachers that cannot be fired".

The entire population of the United States suffers from the activities and corruption of labor unions.

BUT BUT BUT but, Unions exploit people for their own GOOD.

But I will admit you get good wages. And the reason you have good wages and benefits? To make sure you don't vote a union in, plain and simple. So indirectly you can thank the unions for getting you such good pay and benefits.

Same with my job. I'm non-union, but make a decent wage because - and my employer has admitted this - they don't want us to feel the need to organize. I realize that also kinda makes me a "freeloader", but at least I'm willing to admit it, unlike certain other people on here. Plus, I'd have no problem with my place unionizing if it was necessary.

You do know how that works, if you can give the boss what he wants and you let him piss down your neck and he tells you it's raining, they believe him.
They do kneel before the corporate "head."
Give the master what he wants!

Last edited:
Jesus Jurior look at the date of this. That announce was prior to 2008! Prior to the tax increases! Prior to President Obama! Prior to Gov Quinn! Prior to the Blago impeachment! Prior to the collaspe! Heck Obama was a Jr. Senator at the time and Quinn was the worst Lt Gov. in IL executive history!

Let's fast-forward to 2012 shall we AND AFTER THE QUINN BUSINESS KILLING TAX INCREASES! 2K jobs that should have been granted to rural Illinois are now going to RIGHT TO WORK NORTH CAROLINA!!!

You know? For all of the whiny assed crying you do about our big, mean old state it just occurred to me that never once have you ever said what you would do to fix it.

I'm guessing he'd try turn into another Texas - shitty-paying jobs and shittier public services, but "yee haw! I don't have to pay no taxes!"

Unions suck!

Bullshit. I've seen both sides of that coin and I feel sorry for you that you don't know any better.

I have had many experiences with union goons. I have heard older union members say to one another,"We've got to slow that new apprentice down. He's doin' too much work in one day. We need to milk this job."

I've had union goons put sugar in my welder gas tank...and complain that I used an electric saw to uncrate some machinery that I bought for an OPEN SHOP job. I've had the manager at an OPEN SHOP factory tell the union goons that if one more "accident" happened to my equipment or my work, the job would be shut down and the union companies would not have a chance to bid on the completion of it.

Unions suck!

Union goons suck!

Everyone should have a RIGHT TO WORK without paying some goddamned fatcat union asshole to ride around in limos, wearing silk suits and bling ALL PAID FOR by the union members. The days of child labor and 60 hour work weeks have disappeared. There is no need for the modern day unions and their corruption, their illegal activities, their mob action and attacks on non-union laborers. The economy would improve greatly if all labor unions suddenly disappeared.

Unions and promoters of unions can kiss my money-makin' ass....in the aught!

Unions suck!

I have had many experiences with union goons. I have heard older union members say to one another,"We've got to slow that new apprentice down. He's doin' too much work in one day. We need to milk this job."

I've had union goons put sugar in my welder gas tank...and complain that I used an electric saw to uncrate some machinery that I bought for an OPEN SHOP job. I've had the manager at an OPEN SHOP factory tell the union goons that if one more "accident" happened to my equipment or my work, the job would be shut down and the union companies would not have a chance to bid on the completion of it.

Unions suck!

Union goons suck!

Everyone should have a RIGHT TO WORK without paying some goddamned fatcat union asshole to ride around in limos, wearing silk suits and bling ALL PAID FOR by the union members. The days of child labor and 60 hour work weeks have disappeared. There is no need for the modern day unions and their corruption, their illegal activities, their mob action and attacks on non-union laborers. The economy would improve greatly if all labor unions suddenly disappeared.

Unions and promoters of unions can kiss my money-makin' ass....in the aught!

What are you, 15? Why would "Union goons" be harrassing a high schooler?

Same with my job. I'm non-union, but make a decent wage because - and my employer has admitted this - they don't want us to feel the need to organize. I realize that also kinda makes me a "freeloader", but at least I'm willing to admit it, unlike certain other people on here. Plus, I'd have no problem with my place unionizing if it was necessary.

And guess what? As pro-union as I am I still realize that if a company IS treating its employees right and paying them a decent wage and benefits then there is no reason to petition a union for membership. What would they gain?

I'm guessing he'd try turn into another Texas - shitty-paying jobs and shittier public services, but "yee haw! I don't have to pay no taxes!"

Seriously, I would like to know just what he would do to fix the situation since he has all of the answers.

LOL, my father-in-law represents Union workers, 50% of the members are out of work. So those great salaries you presented mean nothing. The ones making less than 60K in my office are client support, sales support, secretaries, kitchen staff in the cafe and the janitorial staff!

Sounds like jealousy talking. Not that I blame you for it.

Jealous! :confused: The global corporation I work for has 500-550 workers in the the Chicagoland area. We don't have (nor need) a Union to screw us up. Yet we have health ins, dental ins, LTD, STD, 20 FTO days, AD&D, Life Insurance, Legal Assistance Plan, 5 sick days, 401(k) with a nice match and high salaries (at least 75% of the workers make over $60K, I guarantee 50% over $75K and at least 20% make six digits year in and out). We don't have Unions stealing money out of each paycheck to make outraganous demands on my employer, so they lay-off workers, ship the jobs to another state or another country! No thank you!

I was recently promoted from sales to the legal department! It had nothing to do with seniority, because I didn't have it. It had to do with merit. I didn't need a Union to help me, nor do any of the other 500+ workers here.

Were not jealous of Unions, we pitty the poor soles forced to get robbed, raped and abused by Unions!

100% of our employees over 60k. And that includes the entry level Laborers if you count their overtime.

As an Operator my base wage is in excess of 75k (not including overtime). Along with that I am getting a pension check from Excelon (formerly ComEd) (remember them?), full medical, dental, AD&D, Life Insurance (6 X base wage), 30 vacation days per year, UNLIMITED sick days and a very generous 401K. BTW...along with the 401K I get a good, "defined benefit" pension along with medical coverage, all collectable at age 55 with at least 10 years service.

Plus (as you know) I live in an area that has a cost of living that is probably HALF of what yours is. I look out my back door and all I see is land.

No matter the industry, labor unions helped bring workers' wages to a livable--and some critics say much more than livable--level. These pay increases filtered to the non-union working world, as companies were forced to increase wages to compete for good workers, though there is still a gap between union and non-union workers. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, unionized workers earned a median average of $908 per week in 2009, as compared with $710 for non-union labor.

To compete for quality help, an employer must offer wages and benefits that compete favorably with other companies in the industry. Plus, the threat of unionization forces some employers to pay higher wages and extend better benefits, if for no other reason than to keep the organizers out.

My brother got a job at an Ethanol plant about 6 months ago. When he inquired about the pay and benefits he was told that it wasn't decided yet (This is a brand new plant). But his boss told him that the employees would receive VERY generous pay and benefits so that they would not be tempted to "petition a union".

LOL, my father-in-law represents Union workers, 50% of the members are out of work. So those great salaries you presented mean nothing. The ones making less than 60K in my office are client support, sales support, secretaries, kitchen staff in the cafe and the janitorial staff!

And the figures you presented to me don't mean jack either since the jobs I was talking about are BLUE COLLAR. You know, ones where people actually have to do PHYSICAL labor (you know what that is?). We're not talking about "sales department" or "legal department" where you hide behind some air-conditioned cubicle all day and thank God that you don't have to do anything but answer a phone, play on a computer and go to worthless meetings. The kind of job where you get more serious injuries than paper cuts and hang nails. When our Laborers go to work they're running jack hammers, high pressure hoses and heavy equipment, not printers and paper shredders.

And very few doing the jobs I described above, including my job have anything more than a high school diploma. And the fact that we make more in wages and benefits than you do must really gall you. You may have a prettier work environment though. I'll give you that one. Say hello to the girls for me the next time you visit the water cooler.

Here's a song I'll dedicate to you.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzr4nA1thsQ]Johnny Cash - Oney - YouTube[/ame]

Seriously, I would like to know just what he would do to fix the situation since he has all of the answers.

Did you notice, Erik, that he completely ignored my question? I gave him the chance to tell us exactly what he would do to fix Illinois and he ignored the whole thing.

Which proves I'm right. He loves to whine about things but when it comes time to offer solutions he's strangely silent. :eusa_shhh:

This thread should be in the economics section as the reason any business locates anywhere is a matter of lots of things, some involve tax incentives, transportation, wages, weather, workforce, and regulation. No single reason guides business and shouldn't, that this is in the politics section is simply the knee jerk response of ideologues. Scapegoating is a contagious disease.

"...In his classic study of mid 19th century American labor, Norman Ware observes that the imposition of industrial capitalism and its values 'was repugnant to an astonishingly large section of the earlier American community'. The primary reason was 'the decline of the industrial worker as a person', the 'degradation' and 'psychological change' that followed from the 'loss of dignity and independence' and of democratic rights and freedoms. These reactions were vividly expressed in the working class literature, often by women, who played a prominent role despite their subordination in the general society." Introduction Alex Carey 'Taking The Risk Out Of Democracy'

Last edited:
This thread should be in the economics section as the reason any business locates anywhere is a matter of lots of things, some involve tax incentives, transportation, wages, weather, workforce, and regulation. No single reason guides business and shouldn't, that this is in the politics section is simply the knee jerk response of ideologues. Scapegoating is a contagious disease.

"...In his classic study of mid 19th century American labor, Norman Ware observes that the imposition of industrial capitalism and its values 'was repugnant to an astonishingly large section of the earlier American community'. The primary reason was 'the decline of the industrial worker as a person', the 'degradation' and 'psychological change' that followed from the 'loss of dignity and independence' and of democratic rights and freedoms. These reactions were vividly expressed in the working class literature, often by women, who played a prominent role despite their subordination in the general society." Introduction Alex Carey 'Taking The Risk Out Of Democracy'

I agree with that. And I'm also betting that GHook will breathe a huge sigh of relief knowing that it's moved out of the spotlight since as far as solutions go...."He's got nuthin".

And the figures you presented to me don't mean jack either since the jobs I was talking about are BLUE COLLAR. You know, ones where people actually have to do PHYSICAL labor (you know what that is?). We're not talking about "sales department" or "legal department" where you hide behind some air-conditioned cubicle all day and thank God that you don't have to do anything but answer a phone, play on a computer and go to worthless meetings. The kind of job where you get more serious injuries than paper cuts and hang nails. When our Laborers go to work they're running jack hammers, high pressure hoses and heavy equipment, not printers and paper shredders.
Hey now, there are coffee spills and a jammed staple shooting out ones eye also. You ever have hot coffee spilled on you it hurt! J/K, man I am funny! First, NEVER disrespect sales, they pay the salaries for everyone else by creating the revenue and selling the products/services/jobs the produces the work for everyone else. It's not an easy job and it's high pressure. When you have kids at home to feed any you just lost a big client and are behind the 8-ball trying to replace that revenue plus at 10% (to cover the quota increase from ast yeat), you will understand. I don't work in sales anymore, but I would never disrespect them and I have NOTHING but respect for them. Few years back when I was in national accounts, I would be on a airplane AT LEAST once a week, sometimes twice. That life takes a ton out of you. I was glad to get back to regional level. Working a jack hammer is another type of stress (valid stress to justify the income), but don't belittle others in your blue collar bigotry!

Second, I have nothing but respect for blue collar workers such as yourself. You guys work hard. You have a tough work environment. Jobs are less plentiful. Accidents don't just me getting fired, they could be serious injury to yourself or someone else. You work in the freezing cold and blazing heat. Your backs have a toll taken out on them. If you make as much as you say, then you earn every dollar of it. Back in highschool my friend's father owner a construction company. On the weekends he would pay us to do some small work. Mostly cleaning (cleaning heavy things like bricks), carrying supplies to upper levels for the workers to use next week (like pile wood and cedar boxes), we cut wood that was previously marked, hit hammer to nail, sometimes laid drywall etc. It was backbreaking work.

And very few doing the jobs I described above, including my job have anything more than a high school diploma. .
Sure some only have highschool diplomas, but the work is not as plentiful as it used to be. More and more employers are finding it easier to move away from Union workers, because the picketing and bully-tactics don't work like they used to! Not everyone should have to go to college. College isn't for everyone. That is an issue with erosion of our manufacturing base!

And the fact that we make more in wages and benefits than you do must really gall you.
First, I work in the legal department, I am above that $75K mark (was above that also in the sales department)! Second, you and your co-workers work hard and I am not taking that away from you!

You may have a prettier work environment though. I'll give you that one.
Yep especially when it's cold and rainy or the heat is blazing!

Say hello to the girls for me the next time you visit the water cooler
Is there something wrong with that?

One of my favs! Johnny Cash is the man! Thansk for the dedications!
Here's a song I'll dedicate to you.....

Johnny Cash - Oney - YouTube

Last edited:

Did you notice, Erik, that he completely ignored my question? I gave him the chance to tell us exactly what he would do to fix Illinois and he ignored the whole thing.

Which proves I'm right. He loves to whine about things but when it comes time to offer solutions he's strangely silent. :eusa_shhh:

It will take some time. I will answer it!

Caterpillar won't build North American plant in Illinois | Comcast.net

PEORIA -- Caterpillar Inc. will not be building its new North American plant anywhere in the state of Illinois, officials with the company told local leaders Tuesday, with part of the reason being continued concerns about the business climate in the state. The company will instead focus on a location closer to its division headquarters in Cary, N.C., Peoria County officials were told in an email sent to them shortly after the close of business and later obtained by the Journal Star. The plant stood to bring with it from Japan roughly 1,000 jobs manufacturing track-type tractors and mini hydraulic...

In support of this capacity expansion, the company will invest more than $1 billion from 2008 through 2010 in five existing facilities in Illinois (East Peoria, Joliet, Decatur, Aurora and Mossville).

Taxes certainly play into it, as they should. At the same time, CAT isn't moving all of it's plants at one time, but will probably see it happen slowly. Illinois government is anti-business:

Caterpillar: Illinois won

Caterpillar Inc. has ruled Illinois out of plans to relocate a factory and 1,400 jobs from Japan, citing both logistical problems with building the plant in its home state and ongoing concerns about the business climate.

Caterpillar laid out its decision Tuesday in an email to elected leaders in Peoria County, saying it considered factors such as access to ports and local labor markets, as well as proximity to Caterpillar’s building and construction projects division headquarters in Cary, N.C.

But the email, signed only by the Peoria-based company’s North American Facility Site Selection Team, says Caterpillar’s longstanding complaints about Illinois’ state budget deficit were a factor.

I left the union I belonged to 30 years ago,I wasn't any better off as a member than not,and I call all my own shots,for better or worse they are mine and no dues to a antiquated bigoted corrupt labor model.
You want to be a member fine have at it,but respect people that do not.

Forum List

Back