Caterpillar has avoided paying $2.4 billion in U.S. taxes since 2000 by shifting prof

Did they break the law?
No?
Then you're just whining.

Actually they did:

Caterpillar skirted $2.4 billion in taxes, Senate report says - The Washington Post

The subcommittee staff found that from 2000 to 2012, Peoria, Ill.-based Caterpillar moved $8 billion it earned in the United States to Switzerland after negotiating an effective tax rate of 4 percent with the Swiss government. Caterpillar redirected the money it made selling replacement parts for its machines to Swiss affiliate CSARL, according to the report.

If a middle-class American tried this they would go to jail for years. That "corporations are people too" bs is exactly that. Cat will probably pay a measly fine and the senior management will get 7/8 figure bonuses. Christ M14, whose side are you on anyway?

If they broke the law, then why wasn't anyone arrested? The IRS didn't even disallow the deduction.

It appears you are full of shit.

More wealth envy whiney shit from Guano. Maybe he thinks his Gubmint check is in peril because Caterpillar is hoarding their own money.

Maybe they should go find their own country.

You would also whine about that if they did.

The fact of the matter is as long as they are here they should respect the country. I love it. They sit around the board room discussing the next federal contract one minute and how to illegally move profits to Switzerland the next. That takes some really admirable guys to do something like that. I know you look up to them.

Post to all defending Cat: Are you kidding me??! What country do you live in? Is there absolutely nothing that corporations can do that will rise the slightest amount of indignation in you? Corporations over country? Of all the low life scum...

Ummmmm, I notice you're ignoring GE and APPLE because they are Obama supporters. If you only attack one side you just expose yourself as a fraud. Fraud....

And facebook, twitter and linkedin... Last few years they avoided 4 billion in taxes.

The Loophole That Allows Facebook to Avoid Paying Taxes on Billions of Earnings | Mother Jones

Post to all defending Cat: Are you kidding me??! What country do you live in? Is there absolutely nothing that corporations can do that will rise the slightest amount of indignation in you? Corporations over country? Of all the low life scum...

You make it seem like if we aren't cheering on the government to take someones money we hate the country. That's just stupid. It's not a jousting match where winner takes all. The government made the rules and Cat played by them. Along the way government still collected a shit load of tax dollars anyway.

I especially like this paragraph in the article.

"The report says Caterpillar paid PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP $55 million to develop the tax strategy. Under the strategy, Caterpillar transferred the rights to profits from its parts business to a wholly-controlled Swiss affiliate called CSARL, even though no employees or business activities were moved to Switzerland, the report said."

I wonder what country PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP is transferring the rights to profits from their consulting fee to, even though, like Caterpillar, they'll most likely have no employees or business activities there. LOL.

I thought for sure the nutters would first attack the article's source --- ABC News --- for being reported by the dreaded mainstream media, because we all know faux news is the only news that can be trusted. LOL.

Somewhere, Mitt Romney is reading this article with an ear to ear grin of satisfaction.

Do you have any idea how tax law works?

Apparently Cat knows tax law inside and out, maybe you should see if they will do your return.

I am an individual, not a corporation. I would go to jail for so many years I would get out just in time for SS.

And why would you think that? You take your deductions for home interest, children, moving or whatever. That's all Cat did. If you're so damn upset about Cat not paying extra into the government black hole of money mismanagement pay some extra in yourself and be happy with your contribution.

I especially like this paragraph in the article.

"The report says Caterpillar paid PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP $55 million to develop the tax strategy. Under the strategy, Caterpillar transferred the rights to profits from its parts business to a wholly-controlled Swiss affiliate called CSARL, even though no employees or business activities were moved to Switzerland, the report said."

I wonder what country PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP is transferring the rights to profits from their consulting fee to, even though, like Caterpillar, they'll most likely have no employees or business activities there. LOL.

I thought for sure the nutters would first attack the article's source --- ABC News --- for being reported by the dreaded mainstream media, because we all know faux news is the only news that can be trusted. LOL.

Somewhere, Mitt Romney is reading this article with an ear to ear grin of satisfaction.
Cat paid 55 million to save 2.4 billion? Damn, that's a good investment. Who gives a shit where Price put their money, they earned the 55 million and can do whatever they want with it, after taxes they couldn't avoid of course.

Forum List

Back