Cast Iron question

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
I bought a Dutch oven. It's the first cast iron thing I have owned. It came pre-seasoned.

So, I washed it, dried it in the oven and wiped it down with oil-per the instructions. The paper towel that I used to oil the Dutch oven had the black coating (?) on it. So, I did the whole thing over again. And the oiled paper towel showed black coating again.

So, is it supposed to do that? Is this going to happen every time? Am I losing my mind?

Thank you. Ordinarily I do not like video tutorials but this answers my question.

I bought a Dutch oven. It's the first cast iron thing I have owned. It came pre-seasoned.

So, I washed it, dried it in the oven and wiped it down with oil-per the instructions. The paper towel that I used to oil the Dutch oven had the black coating (?) on it. So, I did the whole thing over again. And the oiled paper towel showed black coating again.

So, is it supposed to do that? Is this going to happen every time? Am I losing my mind?

You should get that black stuff off the pan and then coat it in oil (preferably one that can withstand high temperatures) and then put it in the oven and bake it at like 450 for an hour or so. That should season the pan for you and make it ready for use.

Don't ever use soap on your cast iron pans because you want them to have a kind of oily coating (this means it's seasoned). I always just rinse mine with the sprayer with hot, hot water right after use and then dry it. Don't leave water in it to soak it either because that can make it rusty. :) Once you start using cast iron, you will NEVER want to use any other pan. I absolutely adore my cast iron pans. Everything seems to taste better for some reason. Lol!

You should get that black stuff off the pan and then coat it in oil (preferably one that can withstand high temperatures) and then put it in the oven and bake it at like 450 for an hour or so. That should season the pan for you and make it ready for use.

Don't ever use soap on your cast iron pans because you want them to have a kind of oily coating (this means it's seasoned). I always just rinse mine with the sprayer with hot, hot water right after use and then dry it. Don't leave water in it to soak it either because that can make it rusty. :) Once you start using cast iron, you will NEVER want to use any other pan. I absolutely adore my cast iron pans. Everything seems to taste better for some reason. Lol!

You so rock! Thank you so much. I couldn't figure out if I would be taking off the seasoning or what.

I came across a cassoulet recipe some 20 years ago and decided that someday I was going to own a Le Creuset French oven and teach myself how to make it. I can't justify spending that much money on a pot. So, I figured this would do the same thing and I could use it for a good half a dozen other recipes that I have come across. It's sitting on top of my counter while I figure out what to do. Every time I walk by it I sing "Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir" from Lady Marmalade by Patti LaBelle because that is the extent of my French.

I know. It's crazy.

If it's as good as you say then I might pick up a cast iron frying pan.

We used to take our cast iron skillets camping/to the beach 1x a year, and burn off all the carbon buildup from the bottom.

The best way to season it is to start using it. When it is not wanting to come clean, pour some water in it and boil the water for a while, then scrub out in the sink (no soap but everything should swipe or scrub out). I'm using the same cast iron my mother gave me as a wedding gift more than 25 years ago.

I use these:

61VoNNZGxaL._SL1500_.jpg

to clean my cast iron, in running water. Then I put it on the stove and heat it up enough to evaporate all moisture. Shut off the heat. Then I take a paper towel, folded up, and use it to grab some Crisco, then wipe the entire inside of the pan with it. Let it cool, and it's ready for next time.

Shortening, like Crisco, is better than using liquid oil. Lately I have been out of Crisco, so I have been using Coconut Oil, which has a shortening consistency.

Untreated/coated cast iron will always leave black residue when you wipe it.

If your cast iron ever gets really nasty put it the oven and run the oven through the self clean cycle for three hours.
It'll come out looking darn near brand new and ready for re-seasoning.
After you remove from the oven wipe it down with a dry cloth,then a damp cloth and put it back in the oven at around 400 for 10 minutes to dry it off.
Then season it like you normally would. You should do this immediately or you'll end up with surface rust in an amazingly short time.

I never remove any of the coating. Every year in January, I apply another seasoning to all if my cast iron, and I have many, wether they appear to need it or not.

I have found that a dishwasher won't take the seasoning off of a well seasoned skillet. Occasionally I will clean there.

Cooking with cast iron is the best. Especially skillet corn bread! Yum.

I never remove any of the coating. Every year in January, I apply another seasoning to all if my cast iron, and I have many, wether they appear to need it or not.

I have found that a dishwasher won't take the seasoning off of a well seasoned skillet. Occasionally I will clean there.

In most cases you wont have to. But I use my dutch ovens camping and sometimes they get a little nasty. Especially if you make things like cobbler and even cornbread. If you dont cook something greasy in em on occasion they will lose their seasoning.

You're welcome! I'm sure you are going to love cooking with cast iron. I don't know about removing the seasoning. If it is already seasoned, then it should be all set to go. You should be able to just scrub the black stuff off (I'm not sure what that would be and probably wouldn't want it on my food). I Anyways, oiling up your cast iron pans sometimes is good for them.

Remember that cast iron retains heat very well, so foods continue to cook long after they are removed from the stove. Best to move all the food from the pan to a serving tray once it's cooked.

Also, there can be disparities in temperature in different regions of the frying pan, so never use a large pan on a small burner. If you have an Infrared Laser Gun, it comes in handy!

I LOVE skillet corn bread! :D I grill corn on the cob on the grill and then cut it off the cob and add it to the corn bread. It's really good! Sometimes I like to add a little bit of cayenne pepper to it.

Remember that cast iron retains heat very well, so foods continue to cook long after they are removed from the stove. Best to move all the food from the pan to a serving tray once it's cooked.

Also, there can be disparities in temperature in different regions of the frying pan, so never use a large pan on a small burner. If you have an Infrared Laser Gun, it comes in handy!

I've never seen one of those. That's cool!

Forum List

Back