Caribbean Cruise Questions...

St Thomas you should feel safe and secure, also the Bahamas, where the ship docks.

St Thomas maybe, since it’s a US Territory but anywhere that the US Constitution isn’t in effect will be a hard “NO”. I’m sure it’s fine but I don’t take chances if I do t have to.
The biggest chance you take on a cruise is falling down and hurting your self, going off your diet, or forgetting your meds, certainly not being attacked by the natives.

How about you intentionally go and enjoy this trip with your wife, and intentional have a good time....... for the sake of your wife who has spent however many long years of her life, putting up with you?

How about you don't go into this trip with an "I'm the only one that matters and I hate paying for something other people enjoy" attitude?

I’m not the type of person who does “fun”. My wife has a hard enough time getting me to go out to restaurants, theaters and entertainment venues I’m not already familiar with. I’m the guy who demands a table with my back to a wall and a view of the door in a restaurant. I am THAT guy.

So even agreeing to go on the trip, which will require two flights and an overnight hotel stay is a major concession for me. Especially since I have to go unarmed for the entire trip.

Most of the time she’s happy with my security-first attitude because of her PTSD. This is one case where it works against her/us.

Hopefully I’ll be able to have a decent time while she truly enjoys it. So long as she enjoys herself, I’ll be fine.

Go explore other places. There's a whole world out there. See life beyond our borders. Learn.

You are making a cruise sounds like the worst thing ever. I sure hope that G-d forbid I get married, that my spouse doesn't talk like this about something I want to do.

I don’t like people. I don’t like to travel. I have no use for foreigners or their lands. What the Hell is there for ME on this trip? Except a multiple- thousand dollar bill to be paid?
Probably nothing, just making sure that your party has a good time since you have decided that you will not should be your priority. I have gone on trips with people like you that don't want to be there. Some of them make sure no one has a good time and other are good sports and see to it that they don't detract from the enjoyment of others.

If you every go on another cruise, I suggest Alaska. It's beautiful. There's lot's of things to see and do and you never have to put foot on foreign soil or contend with all those brown people speaking foreign languages and eating strange food.

Go explore other places. There's a whole world out there. See life beyond our borders. Learn.
One thing I found very interesting is tours of the ship. Depending on the vessel, they take you to the pilot room and explain how they control the ship and navigate and show you the engine room. It's really is impressive.

I enjoy taking to the crew. Most of them speak English. I have fond memories of long conversations around midnight with bartenders from Indonesia and Italy. Cruises are like all travel. It's what you make it.

Last edited:
On our cruise, the push to buy jewelry was huge. They had seminars about it every day and showed where you could buy this and that type of gemstones where we were docking. I wasn't in the market, but in Cozumel, they also had duty free shops where we stopped and I could buy booze and chocolate cheap. The ship had a rule about not bringing booze on board, and they really do check your bags when you come back on, so I didn't buy any liquor, but I got some good Godiva.

Our ship didn't make a single stop where Anathema is stopping, so I can't be much help in talking him off the boat. Seems a shame to waste the opportunity, though.
I bought both booze and other items in port for the purpose of bringing them through customs. I checked ahead of time as to how I might do that and still obey the ship and rules of customs. It was very simple. They just said save sales receipts and keep the booze capped. I don't know if all cruise lines do this.

The cruises, I have been on in the last 5 years have had merchants selling jewelry and/or art works on board. They had auctions and special sales and sessions about what was being offered. I never bought anything so I don't know if they were offering bargains or rip offs.
The thing I liked least about the cruise was the constant pressure to buy something. I had plenty of spending money set aside, but what they were pushing wasn't what I was interested in. Everywhere I turned, it was like an infomercial. And even the ICE CREAM aboard ship wasn't free. The day I went to the spa, as I was having my facial, the guy was trying to sell me the whole line of skin products. By that point (it was the end of the trip) I snapped that I wasn't going to buy any of the products, so he could quit the spiel. That shut him up (sulkily), but so much for being relaxing. I'm not sure if all the cruise lines are like that; I'd have preferred one that wasn't.

On our cruise, the push to buy jewelry was huge. They had seminars about it every day and showed where you could buy this and that type of gemstones where we were docking. I wasn't in the market, but in Cozumel, they also had duty free shops where we stopped and I could buy booze and chocolate cheap. The ship had a rule about not bringing booze on board, and they really do check your bags when you come back on, so I didn't buy any liquor, but I got some good Godiva.

Our ship didn't make a single stop where Anathema is stopping, so I can't be much help in talking him off the boat. Seems a shame to waste the opportunity, though.
I bought both booze and other items in port for the purpose of bringing them through customs. I checked ahead of time as to how I might do that and still obey the ship and rules of customs. It was very simple. They just said save sales receipts and keep the booze capped. I don't know if all cruise lines do this.

The cruises, I have been on in the last 5 years have had merchants selling jewelry and/or art works on board. They had auctions and special sales and sessions about what was being offered. I never bought anything so I don't know if they were offering bargains or rip offs.
The thing I liked least about the cruise was the constant pressure to buy something. I had plenty of spending money set aside, but what they were pushing wasn't what I was interested in. Everywhere I turned, it was like an infomercial. And even the ICE CREAM aboard ship wasn't free. The day I went to the spa, as I was having my facial, the guy was trying to sell me the whole line of skin products. By that point (it was the end of the trip) I snapped that I wasn't going to buy any of the products, so he could quit the spiel. That shut him up (sulkily), but so much for being relaxing. I'm not sure if all the cruise lines are like that; I'd have preferred one that wasn't.
Cruise Lines compete by offering cut rate prices that you can't pass by. They make their money off of drinks, gambling, excursions, photos and whatever else they can upsell

Look at your bill at the end of the cruise and it is as high as what you initially paid for the cruise

Last fall my wife talked me into booking an Eastern Caribbean cruise to celebrate our fifth wedding anniversary this coming July. We are doing this with another couple who are also first time cruisers.

For those who don’t know me, I hate to travel and have no interest in visiting foreign countries; so my intent is to spend my time aboard the ship after we make our initial stop in San Juan PR.

What should I be looking to do to pass the time aboard ship while my wife and the other couple are out galavanting? Any suggestions on things to see or avoid? We are on one of the Celebrity brand cruises if thst makes a difference.

Don't bring banana's on the ship.
bananasonboats.jpg

Cruise Lines compete by offering cut rate prices that you can't pass by. They make their money off of drinks, gambling, excursions, photos and whatever else they can upsell

Look at your bill at the end of the cruise and it is as high as what you initially paid for the cruise
I loved the little guy who was my cabin attendant or whatever you call it. I wake up really early--can't help it, even on vacation, and when I'm on vacation, as soon as my eyes open at 5:30 a.m., I am awake. Don't want to miss a minute. The breakfast buffet didn't open 'til 7, and I was seriously worried about getting my coffee at the ungodly hour I wake up. Another traveler said not to worry--just call room service. That first morning I was really hesitant and not at all sure it would work, but I did call and there he came, toting a tray with a carafe of coffee and the fixings, big smile on his face as if it wasn't 5:30 a.m. No problem.

He was wonderful, always. I left him a big tip at the end of the cruise and did not begrudge it.

I loved the little guy who was my cabin attendant or whatever you call it. I wake up really early--can't help it, even on vacation, and when I'm on vacation, as soon as my eyes open at 5:30 a.m., I am awake. Don't want to miss a minute. The breakfast buffet didn't open 'til 7, and I was seriously worried about getting my coffee at the ungodly hour I wake up. Another traveler said not to worry--just call room service. That first morning I was really hesitant and not at all sure it would work, but I did call and there he came, toting a tray with a carafe of coffee and the fixings, big smile on his face as if it wasn't 5:30 a.m. No problem.

He was wonderful, always. I left him a big tip at the end of the cruise and did not begrudge it.
I had never ordered room service in my life

But once we tried it on the cruise, it was great. We loved early morning coffee on the balcony looking out over the ocean

I had never ordered room service in my life

But once we tried it on the cruise, it was great. We loved early morning coffee on the balcony looking out over the ocean
I am not a water baby, and I live by the ocean, so looking out over the water was no big deal, except that I did like it when in all four directions, all I could see was sea. Made me feel like one of my old sea captain ancestors.
I was gone 7 days and except for one cloudy morning with drizzle, which had burned off by 1 p.m., it was absolutely perfect weather of around 80-ish and sunny. Now THAT in itself is worth the bucks when you live in Maine and it's January. When I flew out of Bangor, it was minus 15.

The food is great and plentiful.

That will be one good thing. I made sure to get the premium non-alcoholic drink package.
Try some of the specialty restaurants
Worth the extra bucks
The buffets and the dinners in the formal dining room were fine, but the best meals I had were in the specialty restaurants. You DO have to make reservations, though.
I agree. The premium restaurants serve the best meals but they usually have a per person charge. However, even with additional charges it's a bargain compared to what the charge would have been on land.

Most cruise lines offer reserved seating in their main dinning room(s), typically 1st or 2nd seating or you can have a dine at leisure plan which you can eat anywhere anytime. Most people sign up for the dine at your leisure plan. However, many cruise lines allow you to effectively do both. You do this by signing for 1st or 2nd seating in the main dinning so you always have a reservation but if you want to eat elsewhere you can by just letting them know ahead of time. I always signup for 2nd seating in the main dinning then I check other restaurants. If I find one I prefer, I cancel my second seating reservation.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back