Cardinal Says U.S. Treated Saddam 'Like a Cow'

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by jimnyc, Dec 16, 2003.

1. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    ** Pity and compassion? You've got to be kidding me! I wonder if this guy also spoke out as Saddam was killing thousands upon thousands of civilians **

Cardinal Says U.S. Treated Saddam 'Like a Cow'

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - A top Vatican (news - web sites) official said Tuesday he felt pity and compassion for Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) and criticized the U.S. military for showing video footage of him being treated "like a cow."

Cardinal Renato Martino, head of the Vatican's Justice and Peace department and a former papal envoy to the United Nations (news - web sites), told a news conference it would be "illusory" to think the arrest of the former Iraqi president would heal all the damage caused by a war which the Holy See opposed.

"I felt pity to see this man destroyed, (the military) looking at his teeth as if he were a cow. They could have spared us these pictures," he said.

"Seeing him like this, a man in his tragedy, despite all the heavy blame he bears, I had a sense of compassion for him," he said in answer to questions about Saddam's arrest.

Read the rest here:
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20031216/wl_nm/iraq_saddam_vatican_dc_2

2. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Treated like a COW??? you are kidding me right? he was given treatment better than what I would have given him. A good swift kick in the nuts would have been the first thing I would have done. They had doctors check him, and I saw nothing at all out of line on the way they treated him.

3. jon_forward

jon_forward Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    kick him in the nuts! I'd cut the bastards nuts out and make him eat em. The catholic church is trying to throw the spot light on someone else besides them, alot of them are no better then saddam and some are worse!!! pedeophiles with power....whats next?

4. LONE GUNMAN

LONE GUNMAN Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    A Bull has balls. I bet when it comes time to face the hangman, he has to be helped up the stairs.

5. Aquarian

Aquarian Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not surprised or upset that a cardinal (or any man of faith) would have these sorts of feelings even regarding a person who had sunk to pretty much the lowest depth this side of hell like Saddam. It's one of the places in life that bring christian ideals into hard conflict with realities of the world. Jesus said ""Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these, my brethren,
    you did it to me."

6. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    The US gave Saddam a medical checkup after his capture. Sounds just like the compassion that Christ commanded.

7. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    :laugh:

8. jon_forward

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    how is the taking of a swab for DNA from the mouth poor treatment? this from a 'church' that has ruined countless lives themselves. where was the compassion of christ then? did he convenantly turned his head and look away?

9. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Look guys,

All kidding aside I am in complete agreement about Saddam, god knows, I am no bleeding heart, and I think you guys know that too. Let us not cross the line though and take out our agression on the church. I am catholic, by choice, not birth, and I am well aware of the damage that elements in the church have caused. I will not make any excuses for this and I am in agreement that the Priests and Bishops who committed these criminal acts need to be put in prision, children must be protected under all circumstances. This said, I do not think we should condem the church itself, its head maybe, but not the body. I personally have friends who are priests, and they are some of the kindest people I have met, and most do not even agree with the policies and practices of the Vatican. I have been involved with many programs, though lately not as much as I should, and I submit to you that much good work is done for the good of the community. Let us be balanced in our judgment, and I think to mock Christ is just plain wrong. Sorry, but this how I feel.

10. jon_forward

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If I crossed the line I am sorry... they say dont throw rocks if you live in a glass house. not ment toward the common folks. :)