CARandDRIVER: The Cheapest Electric Cars for 2023 (27K-42K)

I suggest you buy one and give us a driver's report.
I'm still driving an Old/2006 but low milage 6c/AWD Highlander I love.
perhaps next car.
Your post is the usual Low IQ non sequitur.
You are all welcome for the update on the newest low cost options especially after SkookerASSbils ALARMIST posts on EVs...
whose sales Doubled in 2022.
`

I'm still driving an Old/2006 but low milage 6c/AWD Highlander I love.
perhaps next car.
Your post is the usual Low IQ non sequitur.
You are all welcome for the update on the newest low cost options especially after SkookerASSbils ALARMIST posts on EVs...
whose sales Doubled in 2022.
`

Non sequitur? I specifically addressed the subject. You love EV's, but won't buy one.

Huh.......

Non sequitur? I specifically addressed the subject. You love EV's, but won't buy one.

Huh.......
There's a difference between OFF TOPIC and non sequitur.
But, I mean... um..
Maybe stop posting while you have 5% of your gray matter left.

PS: Your Sig/Billboards are so large compared to ANY your posts it makes you look even weaker, and a mockery of discussion here.
`

There's a difference between OFF TOPIC and non sequitur.
But, I mean... um..
Maybe stop posting while you have 5% of your gray matter left.

PS: Your Sig/Billboards are so large compared to ANY your posts it makes you look even weaker, and a mockery of discussion here.
`

Sure thing. Go buy an EV and stop being a hypocrite.

Dare one point out that there IS A PERFECT, INEXPENSIVE EV on the market right now? The Bolt EUV. 250 miles of range, decent performance, well equipped, for less than 30 grand. GM is losing money on every one, but they are trying to get more EV's out on the road.

No need to look further, right now.

@abu afak some links for you to read -

Carbon footprint

EEA report confirms: electric cars are better for climate and air quality

Battery electric cars emit less greenhouse gases and air pollutants over their entire life cycle than petrol and diesel cars, according to a European Environment Agency (EEA) report, published today. Promoting renewable energy and circular economy — including the shared use of vehicles and...
www.eea.europa.eu
www.eea.europa.eu
One third of motorists can't charge at home

What do we do about all the people who can’t charge an EV at home?

Two-thirds of US drivers can charge at home—that leaves plenty who can't.
arstechnica.com
arstechnica.com
Price of EV second hand market -

Is demand for electric cars declining? We look into the data

By the middle of this month, the average used EV advertised price on Auto Trader was £34,197. While this is far higher than the average across all fuel types collectively (£17,880), it is a 9.1 per cent decline in value compared to mid-February 2021.

Renewables can't react quickly to demand. Did you know, renewables to supply the equivalent electric that a nuclear plant generates, needs 450 times more land space.

Global electricity demand is growing faster than renewables, driving strong increase in generation from fossil fuels - News - IEA

Global electricity demand is growing faster than renewables, driving strong increase in generation from fossil fuels - News from the International Energy Agency
www.iea.org
www.iea.org

1. The price of EVs, just dropped 20% THIS month when Tesla cut prices and forced everyone else down too. Used EVs are still a very thin market.
1a. I already have a very recent thread on Prices and it's now lower.

2. Only a third of homes having chargers would allow 10x the EVs there are now.

3. Renewables do take app 400x Nuke space.....
3a. But they take about the SAME or Less than Fossil Fuels.. and are cleaner and cheaper... and carbon Neutral

How Much Land Would it Require to Get Most of Our Electricity from Wind and Solar?

A recent study from the National Renewable Energy Laboratory offers a detailed and heartening answer.
blog.ucsusa.org

4. We could get All of our power from Solar Alone covering an area Only as big as Lake Michigan!
Spread over the country that's Nothing.

"...Solar's abundance and potential throughout the United States is staggering: PV panels on just 22,000 square miles of the nation's total land area – about the size of Lake Michigan – could supply enough electricity to power the entire United States.".."

https://www.energy.gov/eere/solar/solar-energy-united-states#:~:text=Solar's abundance and potential throughout,power the entire United States

4a. Call it 50% With Wind and some NG back up, that's really nothing. 10,000 sq miles. Or 100x100 miles spread out over the whole country.

`

The magic numbers are 250 mile range, $35 grand, 30 minutes to charge from 10-80% at a public charging station. Until those metrics are met, EV's will be a niche market.

Thus far, the stories of 5 year battery life and $15k replacement costs are anecdotal and generally false.

Well, then get ready for EV's to no longer be in the niche market. Most EV's have a range of 250 miles or more on a single charge. 35 grand? Lots of them are right around that price point right now (see previous poster on first page who graciously provided price points for the vehicles. As far as 30 min at a public charging station? That metric has also been met. Charging at a public charging station is fairly fast (links provided), whereas charging from a REGULAR outlet (like the ones currently in your home) are the ones that take the longest to charge, but, homeowners can have a Level II charging station put in their homes that runs off 220, and you can get a full charge overnight while sleeping.

Here are a couple of links describing the various charging levels and the times required for each. ALL EV's are able to be charged at home, and if you do decide to go to a public charging station, they are quite quick, giving a full charge in as little as 30 min, depending on battery size and vehicle, though unfortunately, you can't have a public type charging station installed in your home. But, even so, the 220 volt charging stations can get you 10 to 60 miles/hour of charging.

We've seen several Climate Denier ALARMIST threads on on the cost of EVs, batteries, repairs etc.
Well, here are some real numbers from CARandDRIVER Mag.
I think even Tesla has cut it's cheapest models the 40s

The Cheapest Electric Cars for 2023

Looking to buy an electric vehicle, but don't want to break the bank?
Then check out these inexpensive EVs.
PUBLISHED: MAR 13, 2023

• 10. 2023 Hyundai Ioniq 5—$42,785
  • 9. Hyundai Ioniq 6— $42,715
  • 8. 2023 Kia Niro EV—$40,875
  • 7. 2023 Volkswagen ID.4—$40,290
  • 6. 2023 Mazda MX-30—$35,385
  • 5. 2023 Hyundai Kona Electric—$34,885
  • 4. 2023 Mini Cooper SE Hardtop—$30,895
  • 3. 2023 Nissan Leaf—$29,135
  • 2. 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV—$28,795
  • 1. 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EV—$27,495

`
/——/ I’m not giving up my Volvo convertible, but if I didn’t care what I drove, i’d get a used Prius for about $15k. Best of both worlds without being tied to s as n EV and save $$$.

/——/ I’m not giving up my Volvo convertible, but if I didn’t care what I drove, i’d get a used Prius for about $15k. Best of both worlds without being tied to s as n EV and save $$$.

Yanno.................I'm kind of the same mind, as it would be nice to be able to use electricity to drive around, but it's also nice to know that you have an ICE engine also.

I almost bought a Prius, and I gotta say, the MPG on those things is AMAZING. Salesman at the car lot I was looking at one told me he'd gone from Columbia SC to someplace up in NY state and back again, and his LOWEST mpg was somewhere around 70, most of the time he was above that. He said it was because of the way it goes back and forth between electric and gas.

But, the price on the used Honda was better (got it for only 4 grand, and it was in damn near new condition) so that's what I got. Even so, I gotta say that I'm pretty happy about my Honda, because it gets around 30 mpg in the city (lowest I've gotten since I've had it was 28.5 mpg, and I check mileage every time I fill up), and I've gotten as high as 38 mpg while driving mostly freeway. Average when I do both city and highway driving is 32 to 36 mpg. But, like I said, the previous owner took really good care of it, and those figures are for a 2008 Honda Civic EX-L sedan.

Forum List

Back