Cancún climate talks in danger of collapse over Kyoto continuation

Trajan

conscientia mille testes
Jun 17, 2010
The Bay Area Soviet
so I am trying to understand why they are so upset and I am aghast , no shocked and angered that the developed country's oh, like Japan, will not commit to another round of Kyoto protocols, what about the planet???? I mean, without Kyoto, there's no ...Kyoto......:eusa_whistle:

Cancún climate talks in danger of collapse over Kyoto continuation

• Latin America outraged at foot-dragging by rich
• Wealthy countries say little chance of deal now

The UN climate talks in Cancún were in danger of collapse last night after many Latin American countries said that they would leave if a crucial negotiating document, due to be released tomorrow, did not continue to commit rich countries to emissions cuts under the Kyoto Protocol.

The Bolivarian Alliance for the Americas (Alba) group of nine Latin American countries – who claim they are backed by African, Arab countries and other developing nations – said they were not prepared to see an end to the treaty that legally requires all of its signatories to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

They challenged the Mexican presidency of the UN summit to prepare a negotiating text including a commitment by rich countries to set fresh targets for a second period of Kyoto beyond 2012.

The Guardian understands that if the new text includes a reference to a continuation of the Kyoto protocol, the talks will continue. But if it omits the wording and opts only to support negotiations based on the weaker Copenhagen accord agreed last year, then developing countries are likely to stop the talks.

Mexico will publish its text on Saturday evening in preparation for the arrival of ministers from 193 countries for the high-level talks on Monday. The energy and climate change secretary Chris Huhne will arrive then, leading the UK delegation.

The potential crisis was provoked by Japan stating earlier this week that it would not sign up to a second period of the Kyoto Protocol.

Other countries, including Russia, Canada and Australia are thought to agree but have yet to say publicly that they will not make further pledges.

Kyoto is considered iconic to developing countries because it is the only legal agreement that binds rich countries to emissions cuts. It is feared that wealthy countries, led by the US, which has not ratified the treaty, want an agreement that will commit them only loosely to targets.

"We will not support any situation where these countries get away with this and make no commitments. We want concrete commitments for Kyoto. A handful of countries have no right to do this," said Claudia Salerno, Venezuela's special climate envoy.

Cancún climate talks in danger of collapse over Kyoto continuation | Environment | The Guardian

Nothing is going to be accomplished at Cancun. The multinational corperations will see to that. Only when the effects of climate change hit the catastrophic level will anything be really considered. Had you asked me a decade ago, I would have told you that I would be long gone by that time. However, I might just still be around, considering the speed that the warming is occuring.

Nothing is going to be accomplished at Cancun. The multinational corperations will see to that. Only when the effects of climate change hit the catastrophic level will anything be really considered. Had you asked me a decade ago, I would have told you that I would be long gone by that time. However, I might just still be around, considering the speed that the warming is occuring.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

uh huh, and I remember 1970's commercials showing us all wearing gas masks 10 years ago....dude.

Do you think limits should be placed only on rich countries, with poor countries free to pollute as much as they want?

Forum List

Back