Canadian man dies after being tasered

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Gunny, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I get it. Man gets tasered and drops dead but cause of death is unknown.:wtf:

Elecrical shock has such an individual affect on people I am of the opinion using taser's is playing Russian Roulette with the lives of others.

2. 82Marine89

82Marine89 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37
    How about it fused his brain cells together?

3. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    I don't comprende this at all. There were two cops, pepper spray, batons, and a taser. WTF was this guy on that it took all that to take him down? I'd think that two trained guys with batons should be able to handle it. Especially if those batons were PR24 types and the cops were well drilled.

4. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    What DID we ever do before Tasers? Oh yes, I remember, we used physical force.

5. Waterrescuedude

Waterrescuedude Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I think that yes once in a while someone is gonna die from it. But it does also save lives. We had a case in Reno,Nevada where a mentally unstable guy was swinging a hammer at some people he had escaped the loony bin and the cops responded well they hadn't had tasers yet so they shot and killed him. Had the tasers been around maybe they would not have had to use lethal force. I say use the tasers. Shit happens if they wouldn't have given the cop a reason to use the taser they would have been just fine. :eusa_boohoo:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    The problem isn't in the use of tasers, it's the too-soon use of tasers.

Your example of the police having no option but to shoot and kill is a good one. That's exactly where a taser may - I stress "may" because sometimes you just have to jump from empty-hand to gun-in-hand without going through the other options - have been appropriate.

It seems to me that the taser is being used where physical force (hands-on, grappling) should be used. Ask any cop how many times they've had to go hands-on with someone as to how many times they've had to go for a firearm. The hands-on can happen several times in a shift. If tasers are being used instead of hands-on then deployment rate is going to be higher than it should be. Since the deployment rate is higher than it should be then it stands to reason that, given the law of averages, someone is going to get tased who has a pre-existing health condition which may kill them whereas a hands-on may not have.

7. pegwinn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    A lot of Cops are young enough that physical confrontations are alien to them. They didn't grow up beating up bullies on the playground. Instead they got group hugs. Now they have the training, but the taser is easier to go for and less dangerous to a guy who may not have much experience in taking a punch.

8. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,229
    I was a cop in NZ. We were not armed (only our sergeants were). I remember six of us with PR24's taking on a guy on Angel Dust. It took all six of us to handcuff him. Tasers are a much better option than guns. Plus when people are hyped they have more strength. The adrenal gland goes into overdrive. You've all heard the story of guys lifting massive amounts of weight when people are trapped under objects. Same thing.

9. pegwinn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    I've heard stories like that as well. I wasn't a cop, but I got to play with PR24 as cross training. I can see you working hard not to outright kill the guy using those methods. Glad to see you apparently came out of it alright.

10. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,229
    I was accidentally hit in training with a PR24....shit it hurt! Right on the funny bone.
    Well some would argue the toss of the coin (whether I came out of it all right!!:lol: )