Can women rock too?

Women now write a lot of their own songs now, which is a key reason they're finally getting ahead, too, probably the main reason, and that makes sense, since they're also the biggest market out there, always have been.

I have a friend (a guy friend - of COURSE) who says that women can't rock. Whenever I bring up women rock bands, he says that no guys really like them and that they are "chick rock." So what do you think about it?

Unfortunately there are NOT a whole lot of women rock bands out there for me to make a valid argument. I bring up bands like Heart and I bring up lady rockers like Joan Jett, but he just laughs and says that they don't rock.

I'm looking for a good argument I can use against him. :D

That's not a girl band though! Sounds pretty fucking poppy, too.

I suggest you study this and get back with me on what rocks:

Angus Young is the opposite of Alex Lifeson. That fucker was the weak link in that band. With Angus, (and B.B. King) every note counts.

If you're not saying something concise, you're just babbling.

Many musicians make that mistake.

Last edited:
ChrisL The people that raised me grew up in the30s/40s true story.

That doesn't go away.

I like all kinds of music. I like a lot of stuff from today too. Even ones with a lot less talent, if the music is fun and has a good beat. I don't ALWAYS listen to music for the great talent. Lol. Metallica is special though. In their day, they were one of the BEST bands in the world, IMO. So much talent and such a great stage presence. :thup:

They all have less talent these days. Not necessarily a good thing,

In the case of rock n roll talent was never required; rap and hip hop is popular for the same reason today.

I have a friend (a guy friend - of COURSE) who says that women can't rock. Whenever I bring up women rock bands, he says that no guys really like them and that they are "chick rock." So what do you think about it?

Unfortunately there are NOT a whole lot of women rock bands out there for me to make a valid argument. I bring up bands like Heart and I bring up lady rockers like Joan Jett, but he just laughs and says that they don't rock.

Fireflight, Flyleaf, Evanescence, Paramore, The Pretty Reckless, Halestorm, Within Temptation, We Are The Fallen, Nightwish, The Iron Maidens.

Your guy friend didn't even bother verifying his claim, and should feel bad. There are exceptions to everything, and the sooner he realizes that, the sooner he stops looking like a brain-dead time-waster.

Last edited:
lol lol lol As for the myth that rock n roll was 'great' in the 'good ole days', that is complete rubbish; if anyone doesn't believe this just go back and look at all the old Billboard Top 500 lists from the early 1950's on ... it's hilarious how awful kids' tastes were then. No wonder parents hated it ... lol lol lol
Naah.

Fireflight, Flyleaf, Evanescence, Paramore, The Pretty Reckless, Halestorm, Within Temptation, We Are The Fallen, Nightwish, The Iron Maidens.

Your guy friend didn't even bother verifying his claim, and should feel bad. There are exceptions to everything, and the sooner he realizes that, the sooner he stops looking like a brain-dead time-waster.

I like the kind of stuff Evanescence tires to do, but they're more than a little infuriating, with a lot of songs that start out great and stay that way until about a third to half the way through completely fall down and turn to shit, which is a shame because the talent and craftsmanship is clearly there to work with. I still find quite a bit to like about them, and Tammy Lee. Paramore is good, too; the rest I'm only vaguely familiar with. Are they all still active bands?

If I can spot a trend of weaknesses with female musicians, it seems like most of them suck at free styling. they should grab up some of the female jazz singers, like Sarah Vaughn and Ella Fitzgerald, and pianists like Diane Krall, and study them for a while, maybe a foray into Helene Grimaude's Rachmaninoff concertos. Classical and jazz are much closer to heavy metal and hard rock than pop and rock n roll is; the latter steals too much from the 'da blues;' a lot, one of the reasons so much of it has always sucked.

Last edited:

I like the kind of stuff Evanescence tires to do, but they're more than a little infuriating, with a lot of songs that start out great and stay that way until about a third to half the way through completely fall down and turn to shit, which is a shame because the talent and craftsmanship is clearly there to work with. I still find quite a bit to like about them, and Tammy Lee. Paramore is good, too; the rest I'm only vaguely familiar with. Are they all still active bands?

If I can spot a trend of weaknesses with female musicians, it seems like most of them suck at free styling. they should grab up some of the female jazz singers, like Sarah Vaughn and Ella Fitzgerald, and pianists like Diane Krall, and study them for a while, maybe a foray into Helene Grimaude's Rachmaninoff concertos. Classical and jazz are much closer to heavy metal and hard rock than pop and rock n roll is; the latter steals too much from the 'da blues;' a lot, one of the reasons so much of it has always sucked.
I'm not sure if they're all still active, I usually pick a few of my favorite songs from each band, and then stop keeping tabs on them.

I mostly agree with Evanescence, though I like "Bring Me To Life" all the way through. As far as Paramore goes, I like them, but I don't usually like listening to a lot of their music in a row, because it gets boring, since they sound mostly the same.

If you like both Paramore and Evanescence, I highly suggest listening to Within Temptation, We Are The Fallen, and Fireflight, as I actually like them about the same or better.

It's been scientifically proven that women can rock and/or roll............

That's not a girl band though! Sounds pretty fucking poppy, too.

I suggest you study this and get back with me on what rocks:

Angus Young is the opposite of Alex Lifeson. That fucker was the weak link in that band. With Angus, (and B.B. King) every note counts.

If you're not saying something concise, you're just babbling.

Many musicians make that mistake.

It doesn't have to be a girl band. I never said that. I said women who rock, so it can be a member of a band, a vocalist, whatever.

Your opinions on Alex Lifeson are just that, your opinions. Please don't try to make it seem as if your opinions are THE opinions in MY thread. :D

Yeesh, that's a little harsh, don't you think? He's a great guy. We just have a difference of opinions.

Yeesh, that's a little harsh, don't you think? He's a great guy. We just have a difference of opinions.
He made a blanket statement bout an entire genre, and an entire gender. He didn't bother verifying the claim, either. No, it's not harsh.

Besides, I didn't say he was one, I said he looks like one, and making statements like that does make him look like one. Overall, no direct insults, and no incorrect statements.

He made a blanket statement bout an entire genre, and an entire gender. He didn't bother verifying the claim, either. No, it's not harsh.

Besides, I didn't say he was one, I said he looks like one, and making statements like that does make him look like one. Overall, no direct insults, and no incorrect statements.

Well, that is his opinion on that matter. I don't really consider that big of a deal. We mostly just joke around about stuff like that.

He doesn't look brain dead at all. He is very handsome actually. :D

Well, that is his opinion on that matter. I don't really consider that big of a deal. We mostly just joke around about stuff like that.

Hey, are you implying the brain dead cannot be handsome? :p

It's not really an opinion if it can be objectively fact or fallacy. There are factually female rockers, making him factually wrong.

Handsome or ugly has little to do with a person's intellect.

Hey, are you implying the brain dead cannot be handsome? :p

I don't think the brain dead are too concerned with their looks.

It's not really an opinion if it can be objectively fact or fallacy. There are factually female rockers, making him factually wrong.

Well, intellect and being brain dead are two different things! A brain dead person has no intellect. Someone who drools or cannot control his bowels is probably not very attractive. :eek:

Well, intellect and being brain dead are two different things! A brain dead person has no intellect. Someone who drools or cannot control his bowels is probably not very attractive. :eek:
Obviously someone who is brain-dead would be of very low intellect. I don't think that part should confuse you too awful much.

Usually in a hospital, with people taking care of them. Doubt it would affect their appearance much.

Obviously someone who is brain-dead would be of very low intellect. I don't think that part should confuse you too awful much.

Usually in a hospital, with people taking care of them. Doubt it would affect their appearance much.

Where did you lose your sense of humor? :D

Yes, it does affect their appearance. Example, Terri Schiavo.

image683430x.jpg

schiavo.jpg

People taking care of them are not beautifying them. They are being washed and dressed and groomed as much as is necessary.

Forum List

Back