Can women rock too?

I still love this album. This song is pretty slow for the first half, but it's the only video they made, and I thought showing the singer was a good idea.

It's not terrible as far as modern day metal goes, but they don't have any really awesome guitar skills like Metallica. They are not terrible but not terribly impressive talent either, IMO. :D

I'm not a particular fan of guitar solos. I don't hate them, but I don't mind not having them, either. I am more impressed by the ability to write a compelling rhythm than a good solo.

I LOOOOVE them! LOVE! I love the sound of a well played guitar, no matter what kind of music it is.

ChrisL The people that raised me grew up in the30s/40s true story.

That doesn't go away.

I like all kinds of music. I like a lot of stuff from today too. Even ones with a lot less talent, if the music is fun and has a good beat. I don't ALWAYS listen to music for the great talent. Lol. Metallica is special though. In their day, they were one of the BEST bands in the world, IMO. So much talent and such a great stage presence. :thup:

They all have less talent these days. Not necessarily a good thing,

This is my favorite Rush tune if only because of Alex Lifeson's AMAZING guitar skills. He is pretty underrated as a guitarist, IMO. Must be because they are from Canada. :p

I'm not a fan of Alex Lifeson guitar.

He's a white-ass Canuck motherfucker.

Oh yeah, and his phrasing always sucked.

What you posted is as good as he ever did.

There's a youtube channel called Lost in Vegas I like to watch sometimes. It has a couple of guys who come from a Hip Hop, R&B type of background and listen to music from various genres, including a bunch of different metal songs. Here they review a song by Jinjer called Pisces, which I like. Jinjer is a metal band with a female vocalist who does both clean and growling vocals.

The Lost in Vegas guys have done some Megadeth and Metallica song reviews, and they loved the songs they did. They also really enjoyed the Gojira songs they listened to, which I found cool. They are a couple of guys who are very willing to listen to music outside of their comfort zone, and appreciate the talents involved even when they aren't fans of the song/genre. They aren't quite up for the really heavy stuff, though. :p

And here's the Jinjer song without the commentary:

That doesn't go away.

I like all kinds of music. I like a lot of stuff from today too. Even ones with a lot less talent, if the music is fun and has a good beat. I don't ALWAYS listen to music for the great talent. Lol. Metallica is special though. In their day, they were one of the BEST bands in the world, IMO. So much talent and such a great stage presence. :thup:

I like this song too! Not a whole lot of talent (although the girls are pretty good and sound great together), but it's a fun song. :D You know, they are good for what they do.

This is my favorite Rush tune if only because of Alex Lifeson's AMAZING guitar skills. He is pretty underrated as a guitarist, IMO. Must be because they are from Canada. :p

I don't care. I like some Rush songs. :dunno: I can't help it if I am feeling the groove. :D

Honestly, I don't have any idea what you're talking about, and I'm white too, so . . . . Lol.

Honestly, I don't have any idea what you're talking about, and I'm white too, so . . . . Lol.

That's because you wouldn't know a Chuck Berry riff if it kicked you in your ass!

Why did I put that out there?

That doesn't go away.

Completely untrue. There are just a lot more bands to choose from, or wade through, as the case may be. ;)

That's because you wouldn't know a Chuck Berry riff if it kicked you in your ass!

What does that have to do with Alex Lifeson being white and Canadian?

Are you still using AOL dial up too? :p

That doesn't go away.

Completely untrue. There are just a lot more bands to choose from, or wade through, as the case may be. ;)

"They all have less talent these days."

That's what his parents say about his Chuck Berry records. :heehee:

I have a friend (a guy friend - of COURSE) who says that women can't rock. Whenever I bring up women rock bands, he says that no guys really like them and that they are "chick rock." So what do you think about it?

Unfortunately there are NOT a whole lot of women rock bands out there for me to make a valid argument. I bring up bands like Heart and I bring up lady rockers like Joan Jett, but he just laughs and says that they don't rock.

I'm looking for a good argument I can use against him. :D

Belinda Carlyle and Grace Slick, for two, and several newish bands have female frontswomen who are great, I see them every once in a while on late night TV, but I can't remember the band names. Belinda Carlyle has a great version of The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde, in French, that is killer on her Voila album; highly addictive, and not one you want to play while driving on the freeway ...
Belinda Carlisle's best...

ARe you serious? Belinda Carlisle? Rock???? I am talking about women who can ROCK THE HOUSE!

Haven't heard much of her work, have you.

Sure. I liked the Go Gos. Don't get me wrong, they are good at what THEY do, but I wouldn't consider it anywhere NEAR the rocking talent of Metallica. Let's do a comparison for an example. Here is one of the most rocking songs (that I know anyway) of the Go-Gos.

Now, I think they are good and I like all kinds of music, but let's now take a look at Metallica.

Geez, there is just no comparison to be made. Metallica out rocks those girls by 1000 degrees. :D

Well, she's done more than just the Go-Gos, much of it ending up on 'alt rock' playlists and not getting any play on MS stations, but I also have a different idea on what 'rock an roll' is versus metal, etc.; rock n roll to me is the teeny bopper stuff like Bobby Rydell, The Beatles, Tom Petty, that sort of stuff. Janus Joplin was a blues screamer, not really rock n roll per se, and Metallica and Iron Maiden are actually just electronic metal players of classical music, thrashers, or whatever the latest term is. Yes, there is a lot of blurring here and there between them all, folk-rock, all that stuff, but for me personally they are distinctive genres in their own right. Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, et al are certainly good musicans, even if I don't personally like them much, outside of a few snippets of songs here and there.

As for female vocalists, they are by far the better vocalists hands down in every genre, to my ears; I listen to female vocalists almost exclusively with few exceptions, like jazz, so I'm heavily biased in favor of female singers.

And then there's The Donnas. :blahblah:

Yes, I get it. You love the Donnas. They are not bad, but they are not of the caliber of Metallica either. They aren't bad for what they do, but they are quite generic sounding.

When I was a kid I didn’t like a lot of women singers but today I do. I didn’t love Aretha but I love Beyoncé. I love Taylor Swift but didn’t love Cher.

Women are better today

Women now completely own the top tier of talent these days hands down, pretty much all across the board. They always have on some genres, they just didn't get credit from male faggot dominated media criticism business, until the 1980's.. Of course, if you don't like Aretha you don't get soul music as a genre, nor gospel, the latter being the main training ground and incubator for black and country music, and of course the latter being the father of rock n roll.

Yes, I get it. You love the Donnas. They are not bad, but they are not of the caliber of Metallica either. They aren't bad for what they do, but they are quite generic sounding.

GFY. Donnas>Metallica. Oh yeah, I'll take Allison over Kirk Hammet any day!
Metallica is not, and never has been Rock and Roll.
PS: They ain't got titties!:p

You mean not yet!!! A few more dead brain cells and they quite likely do the Bruce Jenner thing!!!

When I was a kid I didn’t like a lot of women singers but today I do. I didn’t love Aretha but I love Beyoncé. I love Taylor Swift but didn’t love Cher.

Women are better today

Women now completely own the top tier of talent these days hands down, pretty much all across the board. They always have on some genres, they just didn't get credit from male faggot dominated media criticism business, until the 1980's.. Of course, if you don't like Aretha you don't get soul music as a genre, nor gospel, the latter being the main training ground and incubator for black and country music, and of course the latter being the father of rock n roll.

Here is a female singer that really impresses me. She sings and dances.

lol lol lol As for the myth that rock n roll was 'great' in the 'good ole days', that is complete rubbish; if anyone doesn't believe this just go back and look at all the old Billboard Top 500 lists from the early 1950's on ... it's hilarious how awful kids' tastes were then. No wonder parents hated it ... lol lol lol

Forum List

Back