Can no longer tolerate Japan's terror on human rights

Shelzin -

Ignore my stalker!

My comments are based on the experiences of one of my best friends, who is Japanese. At school she was not taught about either the Comfort Women or the Rape of Nanking - at least not in any detail.

She told me how shocked she was to learn of these events as an adult, and how strange it seemed to her that Japan had whitewashed its own history internally, while appearing to the world to have learned lessons.

Similar thoughts have been expressed by people like Kazuo Ishiguro and Haruki Murakami in their work as well - 'Remains of the Day' and 'Wind-Up Bird Chronicle' respectively, for instance.

Germany has learned contrition - I do not believe Japan has.

Every country whitewashes its own history. Including our own.

"History is the lie that everyone agrees upon" - Voltaire.

I disagree - I think Germany has set an impressive example as to how to teach a fairly unpalatable history with an emphasis on responibility and the future, but not on inherited guilt or whitewashing.

I disagree - I think Germany has set an impressive example as to how to teach a fairly unpalatable history with an emphasis on responibility and the future, but not on inherited guilt or whitewashing.

Let me guess: You have a German 'friend' who told you all about it, right?

China is pissed Chinese Buffets don't get high cuisine ratings like Japanese Steakhouses....

Forum List

Back