can anyone tell us what exactly obama accomplished on his overseas campaign?

i just heard on the local news that this didn't happen.....that spain is pressing forword and that the us doj has dropped their case against the 6 and will provide us attorneys to defend them.....

This is the report that I saw, and I hope that it is the correct one:
"
Despite recent reports to the contrary, Spain’s attorney general has now reportedly decided not to prosecute the Bush Six — the top legal officials in the Bush administration who allegedly approved the torture of terror suspects. Attorney General Candido Conde-Pumpio said that the United States would be the proper forum for such a case.

“If there is a reason to file a complaint against these people, it should be done before local courts with jurisdiction, in other words in the United States,” Conde-Pumpio said in a breakfast meeting with journalists, according to The Associated Press.

The Washington Independent » Spain Won’t Prosecute Bush Officials After All

But it does say 2:47 pm, and your post is later...

just heard it again....spain is pressing forword and obama and the doj are droping the investigation against the cia waterboarders and will defend them against the spanish....

maybe it is two different groups....

those basque are cool :razz:

i just heard on the local news that this didn't happen.....that spain is pressing forword and that the us doj has dropped their case against the 6 and will provide us attorneys to defend them.....

"
Despite recent reports to the contrary, Spain’s attorney general has now reportedly decided not to prosecute the Bush Six — the top legal officials in the Bush administration who allegedly approved the torture of terror suspects. Attorney General Candido Conde-Pumpio said that the United States would be the proper forum for such a case.

“If there is a reason to file a complaint against these people, it should be done before local courts with jurisdiction, in other words in the United States,” Conde-Pumpio said in a breakfast meeting with journalists, according to The Associated Press.

just heard it again....spain is pressing forword and obama and the doj are droping the investigation against the cia waterboarders and will defend them against the spanish....

I can't find similar on the net, but I'll pay attention to the O'Reilly Show.

In either case, I stand by giving the Obama Administration props on foreign policy so far, but, of course, hate what they are doing domestically.

"

those basque are cool :razz:

Did you hear about the terrible fire in a Spanish Basque community theatre, that cost many lives because there was only one way out? Right, don't put all your Basques in one exit.

Couldn't resist.

"

In either case, I stand by giving the Obama Administration props on foreign policy so far, but, of course, hate what they are doing domestically.

google says...........

Obama won't prosecute CIA for waterboarding - On Deadline - USATODAY.com

google says...........

At 8:01 O'Reilly says Spain dropped plan to prosecute.

google says...........

At 8:01 O'Reilly says Spain dropped plan to prosecute.

just saw that.....you win...:lol:

Yeah okay, PC...I see why you directed me to this thread, you clever little punishment devil, you.

Long as I'm here I might as well weigh in.

We probably don't know what Obama really accomplished other that the things already pointed out.

Presidential trips often include foreign policy WONKS whose real missions are not highlighted.

He may have been trying to mend fences so that former Bush Admin officials can go to Europe without being arrested, for example.

Now that probably wouldn't be the offical explaination for why the POTUS makes the trip, because, were I POTUS, I wouldn't want the American people to KNOW that was truly a serious problem...but it most definitely is.

Just a guess, of course.

But my point is these offical explanations for why a POTUS makes trips like these are to act as smoke screens for much more important (but essantially sotto voce) international developments happening between governments.

What does any President accomplish when they go abroad?

Well GW went abroad and came back with two Constitutional Republics where there used to be tyrannys... and he pissed off European Leftists to BOOT!

Say what ya like, but when he went overseas, he came back with RESULTS!

Yep. 40,000 American casualties, many times more Iraqi dead, a trillion in debt for a mistaken war.

Bush got things done, and fucked up.

We'd be much better off if he'd gotten nothing done.

Really? 40,000 American casualties? Where did you dream that up or like every other dimwit liberal ditz did you put too many zeros? Why bother reading any other shit you put out......... what an asshole....... typical.

Really? 40,000 American casualties? Where did you dream that up or like every other dimwit liberal ditz did you put too many zeros? Why bother reading any other shit you put out......... what an asshole....... typical.

Actually, the official DOD count, as relayed by that well known liberal site "Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America" is 34,487, which woefully under reports things like PTSD.

Troops Killed in Iraq: 4276
Troops Killed in Afghanistan: 672
Wounded in Action: 33815

Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America

i'm sure the difference in the numbers is very significant to the mothers, wives, and children of the people helping their loved one with his or her injuries.

He burned what, about 100,000 gallons of jet fuel? Brought an entourage of 500 other imbeciles and boarded them and fed them on our dime. He created one of the biggest carbon footprints of all time, insulted the Queen of our best ally, insulted the memory of our fallen soldiers and the President of France by not visiting the burial ground in Normandy(didn't want to insult Germany which in itself is an insult to 21st century Germany). Insulted the troops by forcing them to pretend to give a shit about his bullshit visit. Insulted the Kurds in Iraq by kissing Turkey's fat ass. Insulted every real American by bowing to the filthy Saudi head shit. Made an ass out of himself and embarrassed all of us by stuttering through each lousy speech he tried to make. Insulted all woman by bring that ass wife of his, she is a lying fake and looks like crap in everything she wears........ an stupidly touched the Queen.

He also brought 200 secret service agents........ extraordinary waste of man power. How much did they cost us?

Millions of tax dollars were spent to kiss a bunch of arrogant world punks asses......... he's a George Soros puppet and is being a very good dog for his master. Soros has made 2 billion on this recession of Obammy's.

i mean really....what exactly did obama accomplish with his overseas campaign last week? we know he bowed to a muslim king...gave the queen an ipod...

but what did he accomplish?

Yurt, I'm really surprised by this thread. You are an intelligent person, and I know that you probably know the answer to this. The answer is Yes, Obama did accomplish something over there. He made all the dems feel warm and fuzzy over here. :lol:

Officially, Obama was there to coordinate action on the world economic crisis. Unofficially, he was taking the first steps to undo eight divisive years of an arrogant unilateral US foreign policy. G-20 type summits never result in signatures. They are intended as frameworks for solutions to global participation in universal problems. He accomplished both.

What does any President accomplish when they go abroad?

Well GW went abroad and came back with two Constitutional Republics where there used to be tyrannys... and he pissed off European Leftists to BOOT!

Say what ya like, but when he went overseas, he came back with RESULTS!

I guess we look at different news stories. Iraq is now a theocracy, and Afghanistan is still run by the Taliban with the exception of Kabul. The "results" for this country will be felt for decades. Thanks, George.

so he didn't get anything he wanted...

who did he patch things up with? the king of saudi? cheered the troops....ok, that is not an accomplishment....

obama alone asked for that trillion for developing countries?

at the G20...they hailed a "new world order"...great, bush I would be proud...

and your last question really says it all....he didn't accomplish anything that really helped america...he showed his face....he campaigned -- again

Obama has and is accomplishing a great deal.

He has changed the entire world's opinion of America.

Why does this matter? Because we need the world to help us accomplish our goals. This is called leadership.

Yep.. He sure did change the world's opinion of America. He convinced the world that we're weak and that the Saudi King must be the leader of the free world. Nice work.

Show one credible foreign source that claims the U.S. is weaker because of Obama. Just one. Not an opinion, but a valid statement from a valid world leader.

I am in spain, you know what they think of us now, they think we got a pompous ass for a leader. Read the british fried his speech and news conference, they said he was a bore, who stuttered Uh, UH, UH, over and over, they ripped him. I posted the article, its in the great orator thread, if you want to read it its a thread I started so it will be easy to find.

Like all people you can not stereotype them, british press said he was a bore and made fun of his speech. that he talked of himself too much.

My Brazilian friends go both ways, some good some bad.

Most seem to think he is just another politician. They are right, he is old school, same tired shit.

Once again, you and others here love to use all-inclusive analyses for your opinions, like the British press, as if they ALL denounced Obama. They did not. In fact, very few actually did. You can go directly to the European news outlets quoted here.

The Obamas take Europe - THE WEEK

i mean really....what exactly did obama accomplish with his overseas campaign last week? we know he bowed to a muslim king...gave the queen an ipod...

but what did he accomplish?

He did not accomplish anything but with his philosophies he is helping conservatives get control of the country. :clap2:

Keep it up BO!!!!!! :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

On the contrary -- :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Obama was given far higher marks by the American media than the European media. While maintaining his celebrity status, his leadership status continues to falter.

That being said, it is what is reported in America that counts, and in that regard, the trip gave Obama some nice positively gushing accolades from our own media outlets. This was quickly followed up with equally gushing reports of the new family dog, more on Mrs. Obama's fashion sense, etc.

All the while though, Obama's poll numbers continue a slow but steady decline. This has to cause some concern within the administration - no American president has received such overwhelming support from the media while losing said support among the American people. One significant misstep and Obama could see his approval numbers go from a creeping decline to a severe drop. His popularity sits atop the ever changing and fickle sands of celebrity and white liberal guilt...

Rasmussen Reports™: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Data Anywhere

Good Lord, cons must sleep with that Rasmusen poll under their pillows.

ALL the polls:
Obama: Job Ratings

Pick an issue:
PollingReport.com

Obama was given far higher marks by the American media than the European media. While maintaining his celebrity status, his leadership status continues to falter.

I disagree, I am in Belgium now and from what I can tell: the Dutch, French, German, Belgian, ... (majority of Western European nations) seem to be in love with this president. This president has the most media coverage of any american president that I know of: I know for a fact that he has been almost every day in the news (TV, newspaper, ...) since his election.

One example from during the election period: German Press Agog Over Obama - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com
Foreign Press: All Obama, All The Time - CBS News

the British press seems to be much more critisizing then the other foreign press: BBC NEWS | Americas | Lofty ambitions for Obama's visit
But they seem to be the exception rather than the rule when you look at europe. Most of the ass-kissing from the european press is because of his image that is completely opposite to the one of the much hated image of Bush, his rockstar status is also an important influence on how the media behaves towards this president.

For example 2 of the most conflicting themes between the US and Europe were (during the Bush presidency): klimate change & Iraq .

Let's talk foreign policy, which I thought might be President Obama's weakest area.

First, you are overlooking the fact that the Europeans love him until he asks them to do something. He may be superficially popular, but when he asked of 2%GDP for stimulus, he did not get it.

When he asked for combat soldiers for Afghanistan, he got nothing: the only languages one hears among the fighting forces in Afghanistan are English, Polish, and French-Canadian.

But- he made headway in Turkey, and watch for a Turkey-Armenia treaty, assuming Armenia gets out of Azerbijian.

And here are three more foreign policy successes for the President: 1)end of the current pirate problem, handled well, 2) Spain agreed not to pursue former Bush officials, success for behind-the-scenes diplomacy, and 3) opening talks with Cuba, more important than yu think, as it blocks Russian probes in Cuba.

Thank you, PC. If I ever implied that you were as politically blinded by the right's usual tunnel-vision, I apologize.

Let's talk foreign policy, which I thought might be President Obama's weakest area.

First, you are overlooking the fact that the Europeans love him until he asks them to do something. He may be superficially popular, but when he asked of 2%GDP for stimulus, he did not get it.

When he asked for combat soldiers for Afghanistan, he got nothing: the only languages one hears among the fighting forces in Afghanistan are English, Polish, and French-Canadian.

The main problem is the weak european politicians, in germany for example there is a law from WWII that forbids the germans to even participate with combat operations (but they still sent troops to Afghanistan). Good that there are at least some decent politicians who are prepared to sent troops: the french, brittish are going to increase the number of troops in afghanistan. Others are also sending troops but not in such big numbers or are still debating to get more troops: belgium for example is sending more F16s.

About the afghan effort that is still going on: You forgot the Dutch, Danish, Romanian, ... languages:

"Reporting from Strasbourg, France -- NATO announced Saturday that it would send about 5,000 additional troops and trainers to Afghanistan, a boost that President Obama hailed as "a strong down payment on the future of our mission" there, but one that failed to include the combat forces Washington had sought."

"The American leader had hoped to parlay his immense popularity in Europe into stronger promises of military support for the Afghan war, ..."

"Conspicuously absent are the extra combat troops that the U.S. had requested..."
NATO pledges more troops for Afghanistan, but not combat forces - Los Angeles Times

"that troops from the United States—along with just a handful of other countries—do the bulk of the heavy fighting, while a number of other ISAF detachments are limited by their own governments' combat restrictions. "
In Afghanistan, the NATO-led Force is 'Underresourced' For the Fight Against the Taliban - US News and World Report

"It is unlikely, though, that Spain will be willing to commit more combat troops..."
Spain commits more troops to Afghanistan in overture to Obama | csmonitor.com

"Overall, ISAF is too small, too poorly equipped, and too ridden by operational restrictions to make a serious difference in the security picture. "
"ISAF lacks real combat capabilities; and most of its contributing countries have in any case barred their troops from engaging in combat or other life-threatening situations "
http://www.jamestown.org/fileadmin/...Relevance__Question_In_Afghanistan1015wsj.doc

"Denmark's current rules for its international troops generally state that soldiers may only return fire after having More..been fired upon, although there are exceptions."
US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Who's kiddin' who?

I think for one thing, there is a new mission in Afghanistan which is two-fold. The Americans will be using more Special Ops to ferret out the AQ bad guys in the mountainous regions, and other "combat" troops will keep the militant Taliban tribes in check. The other part of the mission is to train Afghan forces to do their own fighting. The elephant in the room, however, is how to deal with Karzai, who has been most ineffective.

Forum List

Back