can anyone tell us what exactly obama accomplished on his overseas campaign?

Obama was given far higher marks by the American media than the European media. While maintaining his celebrity status, his leadership status continues to falter.

That being said, it is what is reported in America that counts, and in that regard, the trip gave Obama some nice positively gushing accolades from our own media outlets. This was quickly followed up with equally gushing reports of the new family dog, more on Mrs. Obama's fashion sense, etc.

All the while though, Obama's poll numbers continue a slow but steady decline. This has to cause some concern within the administration - no American president has received such overwhelming support from the media while losing said support among the American people. One significant misstep and Obama could see his approval numbers go from a creeping decline to a severe drop. His popularity sits atop the ever changing and fickle sands of celebrity and white liberal guilt...

Rasmussen Reports™: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Data Anywhere

Obama has and is accomplishing a great deal.

He has changed the entire world's opinion of America.

Why does this matter? Because we need the world to help us accomplish our goals. This is called leadership.

World Agenda: Nicolas Sarkozy puts Barack Obama in the doghouse - Times Online

well except for the french....:lol:

Mr Sarkozy is pouring cold water on President Obama's efforts to recast American leadership on the world stage, depicting them as unoriginal, unsubstantial and overrated. Behind leaks and briefings from the Elysée Palace lies Mr Sarkozy's irritation at the rock-star welcome that Europe gave Mr Obama on his Europan tour earlier this month.

The American President's call "to free the world of the menace of a nuclear nightmare" was hot air, Mr Sarkozy's diplomatic staff told him in a report. "It was rhetoric – not a speech on American security policy but an export model aimed at improving the image of the United States," they said. Most of Mr Obama's proposals had already been made by the Bush administration and Washington was dragging its feet on disarmament and treaties against nuclear proliferation, the leaked report said.

Well GW went abroad and came back with two Constitutional Republics where there used to be tyrannys... and he pissed off European Leftists to BOOT!

Say what ya like, but when he went overseas, he came back with RESULTS!

Yep. 40,000 American casualties, many times more Iraqi dead, a trillion in debt for a mistaken war.

Bush got things done, and fucked up.

We'd be much better off if he'd gotten nothing done.

and obama's solution is to send 17,000 more to afganistan.....ask congress for another 80 billion dollars.....extend the pull out to 18 months.....change you can believe in....

Yeah I hear you on that one.

i mean really....what exactly did obama accomplish with his overseas campaign last week? we know he bowed to a muslim king...gave the queen an ipod...

but what did he accomplish?

He went over met the heads of state, showed his face to the public, patched up relations a bit, set the foundation for the future, stopped by Iraq to cheer the troops, and got a committment of a trillion for the IMF. What was he supposed to accomplish?

so he didn't get anything he wanted...

who did he patch things up with? the king of saudi? cheered the troops....ok, that is not an accomplishment....

obama alone asked for that trillion for developing countries?

at the G20...they hailed a "new world order"...great, bush I would be proud...

and your last question really says it all....he didn't accomplish anything that really helped america...he showed his face....he campaigned -- again

Who says he didn't get anything he wanted? Other than the Murdoch news outlets, I mean?

I certainly didn't expect him to achieve any major changes in his first visit after being in office 2 months.

Do most of you really want the US of A to look like the caveman of the world - beating his chest and swinging his club around? People, you need to crawl out of your holes and smell the fucking roses - the world IS changing and the USA won't be the superpower you're used to it being for that much longer. Now you will have to use diplomacy rather than raw power with countries because you ARE just ONE OF THE FUCKING COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD. Suck it the fuck up.

Obama was given far higher marks by the American media than the European media. While maintaining his celebrity status, his leadership status continues to falter.

I disagree, I am in Belgium now and from what I can tell: the Dutch, French, German, Belgian, ... (majority of Western European nations) seem to be in love with this president. This president has the most media coverage of any american president that I know of: I know for a fact that he has been almost every day in the news (TV, newspaper, ...) since his election.

One example from during the election period: German Press Agog Over Obama - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com
Foreign Press: All Obama, All The Time - CBS News

the British press seems to be much more critisizing then the other foreign press: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7973373.stm
But they seem to be the exception rather than the rule when you look at europe. Most of the ass-kissing from the european press is because of his image that is completely opposite to the one of the much hated image of Bush, his rockstar status is also an important influence on how the media behaves towards this president.

For example 2 of the most conflicting themes between the US and Europe were (during the Bush presidency): klimate change & Iraq .

Last edited:
What does any President accomplish when they go abroad?

Well GW went abroad and came back with two Constitutional Republics where there used to be tyrannys... and he pissed off European Leftists to BOOT!

Say what ya like, but when he went overseas, he came back with RESULTS!

Yep. 40,000 American casualties, many times more Iraqi dead, a trillion in debt for a mistaken war.

Bush got things done, and fucked up.

We'd be much better off if he'd gotten nothing done.

Huh... but the casualties and dead were a result of principled defense of innocent human life and the principles which sustain human rights... and the debt was a result of leftist social policy which the left refused to lift, even during war... thus requiring that funds to support the war must be borrowed; with the alternative being to NOT defend the security of the US and the principles which sustain human rights...

Which begs the question: what's your point? Clearly you don't have a problem with deficit spending, you celebrate the 4 trillion in deficit spending that the Lord of the Idiots is busy implementing as we speak and the 10 trillion in debt which that 4 trillion will eventually realize...

And given that without a sound security, the US economy cannot sustain the social entitlements which that debt you celebrate is providing, I don't understand how you can be pissy about the casualties sacrificed in providing that security...

Do ya have anything that is NOT a logical non sequitur? That might help to move the conversation along.

I disagree, I am in Belgium now and from what I can tell: the Dutch, French, German, Belgian, ... (majority of Western European nations) seem to be in love with this president. This president has the most media coverage of any american president that I know of: I know for a fact that he has been almost every day in the news (TV, newspaper, ...) since his election.

One example from during the election period: German Press Agog Over Obama - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com

the British press seems to be much more critisizing then the other foreign press: BBC NEWS | Americas | Lofty ambitions for Obama's visit
But they seem to be the exception rather than the rule when you look at europe. Most of the ass-kissing from the european press is because of his image that is completely opposite to the one of the much hated image of Bush, his rockstar status is also an important influence on how the media behaves towards this president.

For example 2 of the most conflicting themes between the US and Europe were (during the Bush presidency): klimate change & Iraq .

NO - those are American news sources.

If you wish to make a point - make a point.

Obama has received his fair share of positive foreign press to be sure, but it has been nowhere near as positive as the American news outlets - and there has been a far greater tone of "underwhelmed" by the European media and its leaders than back home.

Perhaps even Obama cannot fully overcome the European envy of American that has pervaded for many decades...

the British press seems to be much more critisizing then the other foreign press: BBC NEWS | Americas | Lofty ambitions for Obama's visit

Let's talk foreign policy, which I thought might be President Obama's weakest area.

First, you are overlooking the fact that the Europeans love him until he asks them to do something. He may be superficially popular, but when he asked of 2%GDP for stimulus, he did not get it.

When he asked for combat soldiers for Afghanistan, he got nothing: the only languages one hears among the fighting forces in Afghanistan are English, Polish, and French-Canadian.

But- he made headway in Turkey, and watch for a Turkey-Armenia treaty, assuming Armenia gets out of Azerbijian.

And here are three more foreign policy successes for the President: 1)end of the current pirate problem, handled well, 2) Spain agreed not to pursue former Bush officials, success for behind-the-scenes diplomacy, and 3) opening talks with Cuba, more important than yu think, as it blocks Russian probes in Cuba.

Last edited:
Let's talk foreign policy, which I thought might be President Obama's weakest area.

First, you are overlooking the fact that the Europeans love him until he asks them to do something. He may be superficially popular, but when he asked of 2%GDP for stimulus, he did not get it.

When he asked for combat soldiers for Afghanistan, he got nothing: the only languages one hears among the fighting forces in Afghanistan are English, Polish, and French-Canadian.

The main problem is the weak european politicians, in germany for example there is a law from WWII that forbids the germans to even participate with combat operations (but they still sent troops to Afghanistan). Good that there are at least some decent politicians who are prepared to sent troops: the french, brittish are going to increase the number of troops in afghanistan. Others are also sending troops but not in such big numbers or are still debating to get more troops: belgium for example is sending more F16s.

About the afghan effort that is still going on: You forgot the Dutch, Danish, Romanian, ... languages:

nato_afghanistan.jpe

U.S.%20DoD%20Map%20(NATO-Afghanistan%20Occupation).jpg

NO - those are American news sources.

If you wish to make a point - make a point.

Obama has received his fair share of positive foreign press to be sure, but it has been nowhere near as positive as the American news outlets - and there has been a far greater tone of "underwhelmed" by the European media and its leaders than back home.

Perhaps even Obama cannot fully overcome the European envy of American that has pervaded for many decades...

I said that I can tell it you from my own experience, but appearantly you didn't read the part where I said that I m currently in Belgium reading Dutch/French/... newspapers and watching dutch/... television.

I m assuming that you can't read dutch, but from what I read in dutch newspapers most of them seem to be very positive on Obama (I d say almost as positive as the media in the US). But you ll have to take my word on that because I don't have any english version of the dutch/... newspapers.

this is one example of a Belgian (flemish) newspaper where Obama seems to be every day: De Morgen Nieuws

This is an example of the Belgian government TV station that has Obama in the news almost every 2 or 3 days: VRT, daily newsprogram (name: TERZAKE)

Last edited:
The Prophet had a growth experience interacting with a large group of crafty and experienced adults who saw junior for what he is and reacted accordingly. That is a positive outcome. I mean that sincerely.

The main problem is the weak european politicians, in germany for example there is a law from WWII that forbids the germans to even participate with combat operations (but they still sent troops to Afghanistan). Good that there are at least some decent politicians who are prepared to sent troops: the french, brittish are going to increase the number of troops in afghanistan. Others are also sending troops but not in such big numbers or are still debating to get more troops: belgium for example is sending more F16s.

About the afghan effort that is still going on: You forgot the Dutch, Danish, Romanian, ... languages:

"Reporting from Strasbourg, France -- NATO announced Saturday that it would send about 5,000 additional troops and trainers to Afghanistan, a boost that President Obama hailed as "a strong down payment on the future of our mission" there, but one that failed to include the combat forces Washington had sought."

"The American leader had hoped to parlay his immense popularity in Europe into stronger promises of military support for the Afghan war, ..."

"Conspicuously absent are the extra combat troops that the U.S. had requested..."
NATO pledges more troops for Afghanistan, but not combat forces - Los Angeles Times

"that troops from the United States—along with just a handful of other countries—do the bulk of the heavy fighting, while a number of other ISAF detachments are limited by their own governments' combat restrictions. "
In Afghanistan, the NATO-led Force is 'Underresourced' For the Fight Against the Taliban - US News and World Report

"It is unlikely, though, that Spain will be willing to commit more combat troops..."
Spain commits more troops to Afghanistan in overture to Obama | csmonitor.com

"Overall, ISAF is too small, too poorly equipped, and too ridden by operational restrictions to make a serious difference in the security picture. "
"ISAF lacks real combat capabilities; and most of its contributing countries have in any case barred their troops from engaging in combat or other life-threatening situations "
http://www.jamestown.org/fileadmin/...Relevance__Question_In_Afghanistan1015wsj.doc

"Denmark's current rules for its international troops generally state that soldiers may only return fire after having More..been fired upon, although there are exceptions."
US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Who's kiddin' who?

Last edited:
And here are three more foreign policy successes for the President: 1)end of the current pirate proble, handled well, 2) Spain agreed not to pursue former Bush officials, success for behind-the-scenes diplomacy, and 3) opening talks with Cuba, more important than yu think, as it blocks Russian probes in Cuba.

i just heard on the local news that this didn't happen.....that spain is pressing forword and that the us doj has dropped their case against the 6 and will provide us attorneys to defend them.....

And here are three more foreign policy successes for the President: 1)end of the current pirate proble, handled well, 2) Spain agreed not to pursue former Bush officials, success for behind-the-scenes diplomacy, and 3) opening talks with Cuba, more important than yu think, as it blocks Russian probes in Cuba.

i just heard on the local news that this didn't happen.....that spain is pressing forword and that the us doj has dropped their case against the 6 and will provide us attorneys to defend them.....

This is the report that I saw, and I hope that it is the correct one:
"
Despite recent reports to the contrary, Spain’s attorney general has now reportedly decided not to prosecute the Bush Six — the top legal officials in the Bush administration who allegedly approved the torture of terror suspects. Attorney General Candido Conde-Pumpio said that the United States would be the proper forum for such a case.

“If there is a reason to file a complaint against these people, it should be done before local courts with jurisdiction, in other words in the United States,” Conde-Pumpio said in a breakfast meeting with journalists, according to The Associated Press.

The Washington Independent » Spain Won’t Prosecute Bush Officials After All

But it does say 2:47 pm, and your post is later...

This is the report that I saw, and I hope that it is the correct one:
"
Despite recent reports to the contrary, Spain’s attorney general has now reportedly decided not to prosecute the Bush Six — the top legal officials in the Bush administration who allegedly approved the torture of terror suspects. Attorney General Candido Conde-Pumpio said that the United States would be the proper forum for such a case.

“If there is a reason to file a complaint against these people, it should be done before local courts with jurisdiction, in other words in the United States,” Conde-Pumpio said in a breakfast meeting with journalists, according to The Associated Press.

The Washington Independent » Spain Won’t Prosecute Bush Officials After All

But it does say 2:47 pm, and your post is later...

just heard it again....spain is pressing forword and obama and the doj are droping the investigation against the cia waterboarders and will defend them against the spanish....

maybe it is two different groups....

Forum List

Back