Cameras At Large

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    The City of Chicago has been installing cameras for 'traffic' purposes at a quick rate for the past two years. They've also added 'park cameras' and other 'unspecified locales' to cut down on crime.

I was against this 'Big Brother' approach, but am changing my mind. Yeah, UK had something to do with it. Immediately after the 7/7 attack, I remember reading quite a few articles on how they didn't 'prevent' the attack. Since then, from sources here and abroad, there has been an acknowledgement that the pics were instrumental in the quick apprehension of the 7/21 cell members so far, as well as identification of the remains of the first bombers. :

http://www.city-journal.org/html/eon_07_18_05hm.html

2. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    I too am changing my approach on big brother. In public you dont have a expectation of privacy. So cameras there to record the happenings seems like a natural thing. If people get caught doing things on camera, then less VIOLENT crimes can be stopped. If they are using these cameras to arrest jaywalkers and litterbugs (which i can see happening) then i start to worry about the big brother infringment.

3. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    When I am walking or driving down the street, sitting in a park or a restaurant, or walking through the mall, I have no expectation of privacy. Cameras in those situations would not bother me. Nor would they bother me in any "public" place I might be in.

Now....once they start talking about putting cameras in my house, there's going to be a problem.