Cain accuser wants to tell her side of story

Jillian Wrote:

Thanks for clarifying. I'm still not sure that I can agree with you that someone should accept a settlement and then be able to anonymously talk about it later - even if Cain is guilty and the woman was harassed. I feel that once she signed a settlement stating she was accepting money for her silence...that ends it - if she doesn't feel she can live with that then she shouldn't have accepted the payoff.

As far as "Cain talking about it so she should be able to..." I feel thats kind of weak too..considering Cain WOULDN'T be talking about it...if "anonymous" accusers hadn't "anonymously" brought up the issue.

Should Cain not be allowed to defend himself if the people who accepted the settlements get around their contract by "anonymously" talking about it? Seems a bit like having their cake and eating it too. They get the money AND they get to smear the guy they don't like.

Jillian Wrote

I agree with you that Cain has handled this poorly, and it has likely helped make the issue bigger. And if it comes out that he has indeed done something truly harassing...then I fully support him stepping out of the race. But at this point...I think that the media that brought this story to light at this point...with nothing but anonymous sources and very thinly described indications of what actually happened...should be excoriated. To me, this feels far more like bad reporting rushed out to try to derail Cain's campaign then a real story about a potential problem with a potential candidate. Cain is not going to be elected president tomorrow...there was no need to "rush" this story out until more facts were clear.

it wasn't the "media" who brought the story to light. someone from the gop ranks leaked it. the only reason the source is "anonymous" is because she's not allowed to come forward until cain allows her to. He had 10 days before they went to press on the story. He had more than enough time to respond.

No one "rushed" anything. If Cain wanted the "facts" out, he could have not lied to begin with. And before you say it's unsubstantiated and he didn't lie, he admitted that there was an allegation and money was paid. Beyond that, it's up to him to lift the confidentiality agreement (since he already breached it).

Nobody has yet to come up with the Complaint or the Settlement. Until that is done, this is all Speculative Bullshit. Shame on so called responsible people letting it get this far, in the way it did.

:eusa_hand:

"Responsible People" don't even post in these threads.

:redface:

OOOps

it wasn't the "media" who brought the story to light. someone from the gop ranks leaked it. the only reason the source is "anonymous" is because she's not allowed to come forward until cain allows her to. He had 10 days before they went to press on the story. He had more than enough time to respond.

No one "rushed" anything. If Cain wanted the "facts" out, he could have not lied to begin with. And before you say it's unsubstantiated and he didn't lie, he admitted that there was an allegation and money was paid. Beyond that, it's up to him to lift the confidentiality agreement (since he already breached it).

Nobody has yet to come up with the Complaint or the Settlement. Until that is done, this is all Speculative Bullshit. Shame on so called responsible people letting it get this far, in the way it did.

OOOps

Speak for yourself, squidboi. :lol:

he admitted it.

and they can't "come up with a complaint or a settlement" until cain waives the nondisclosures agreement.

He did not admit what you think he did. The Court needs to waive the Disclosures, not him. You need a dose of Levin. :) This is all very irresponsible behavior at this point Jillian.

One of the firm’s partners, Curt Anderson, worked on Cain’s losing 2004 U.S. Senate campaign. Cain thinks he’s the hired political gun who leaked details to Politico, a Washington trade publication, of alleged “sexually suggestive behavior” Cain is said to have exhibited towards two women while he ran the National Restaurant Association in the 1990s. That story set off a media frenzy which has quickly put Cain’s campaign on the defense.

In the summer of 2003, Cain recalls briefing Anderson—his general campaign consultant at the time—that sexual harassment claims were brought against him while he was chairman of the National Restaurant Association from 1996 to 1999.

“I told my wife about this in 1999 and I’ve got nothing to hide,” Cain told me Wednesday. “When I sat down with my general campaign consultant Curt Anderson in a private room in our campaign offices in 2003 we discussed opposition research on me. It was a typical campaign conversation. I told him that there was only one case, one set of charges, one woman while I was at the National Restaurant Association. Those charges were baseless, but I thought he needed to know about them. I don’t recall anyone else being in the room when I told him.”

Cain Says Perry Camp Behind Sex Harassment Leak - Forbes

he admitted it.

and they can't "come up with a complaint or a settlement" until cain waives the nondisclosures agreement.

Cain doesn't have the authority to waive it, the NRA does.

he admitted it.

The NDA was with Cain or with the NRA?

Curt Anderson phoned me to say “I never heard about this story until I read about it in Politico. I have nothing but good things to say about Herman Cain. I’m not going to bad-mouth Herman Cain to anyone, on or off the record. I think he is a guy of great leadership and integrity.”

Perry spokesman Ray Sullivan said it was “patently untrue” that the Perry campaign had any role in placing the sexual harassment story with Politico.

Aside from knowing about the alleged sexual harassment accusations, Cain campaign officials point to the timing of Anderson’s hiring by Perry as evidence of his involvement. The campaign announced Anderson’s role on October 24, just a week before Politico broke the story.

Does he regret telling Anderson about it? “I don’t regret it at all,” Cain says. “The guy who was supposed to help with strategy should know everything. I put it on the table right from the get go. I wasn’t trying to hide it.”

he admitted it.

He did not admit what you think he did. The Court needs to waive the Disclosures, not him. You need a dose of Levin. :) This is all very irresponsible behavior at this point Jillian.

Is that what Levin said? hummm.... I read over at Volock that the NRA and those ladies signed it, so the NRA has to release them from it, Cain cannot....can a court? really?

he admitted it.

The NDA was with Cain or with the NRA?

;) the NRA.

OOOps

I bet that really hurt. :D

100305insalatadicalamari.jpg

I heard something on the radio about one of the women who was allegedly sexually harrassed by Cain. From what I heard on the Hugh Hewitt show, she was a lower level employee who was just two years out of college. If true, and if she graduated with a Bachelor Degree and went to college just out of HS, she would have been about 24 yo at the time. I believe that Cain is now 65. So, 12 years ago, he would have been around 53.

On Tuesday's Mark Levin Show: Mark explains what a confidentiality agreement is and how the mainstream media is trying to setup Herman Cain. He is unable to disclose much of the information, either because he isn't aware of it, or because of the agreement, and yet Politico and others are demanding that he fill in the blanks of the story. This is a smear campaign - this is push journalism.

Mark Levin

On Tuesday's Mark Levin Show: Mark explains what a confidentiality agreement is and how the mainstream media is trying to setup Herman Cain. He is unable to disclose much of the information, either because he isn't aware of it, or because of the agreement, and yet Politico and others are demanding that he fill in the blanks of the story. This is a smear campaign - this is push journalism.

Mark Levin
Yes, that is what I'm seeing, too.

And so many willful tools.

Jillian Wrote:
no. you're not reading me right. willow said that she held him up for money and basically extorted funds from him. i said she should be able to tell her side of the story, since he's talking about it.

Thanks for clarifying. I'm still not sure that I can agree with you that someone should accept a settlement and then be able to anonymously talk about it later - even if Cain is guilty and the woman was harassed. I feel that once she signed a settlement stating she was accepting money for her silence...that ends it - if she doesn't feel she can live with that then she shouldn't have accepted the payoff.

As far as "Cain talking about it so she should be able to..." I feel thats kind of weak too..considering Cain WOULDN'T be talking about it...if "anonymous" accusers hadn't "anonymously" brought up the issue.

Should Cain not be allowed to defend himself if the people who accepted the settlements get around their contract by "anonymously" talking about it? Seems a bit like having their cake and eating it too. They get the money AND they get to smear the guy they don't like.

I think the problem here is that Cain thought he could get away with hiding this. I think the one thing we should learn about politics is that if you run for that office, EVERYTHING in your life is an open book. They will literally overturn every stone in your life, even ones that were painted over 30 years ago. This is doubly true if you are the Republican.

Remember 2000? The last few days of the campaign, the story of Bush's DUI came out, and his six point lead on Al Gore melted away. It's something he SHOULD have gotten out in the open and out of the way ahead of time.

Cain was warned 10 days ago that this was coming. I'm willing to accept his explanation that this was probably a misunderstanding, these things happen. The very fact that the woman only got a five figure settlement tells me she barely had a leg to stand on.

But Cain has made it a lot worse for himself by not having his story straight, trying to minimilize it and looking like he had something to hide.

Mark Levin

What is really absurd here is that without a copy of the Complaint or the Settlement, they have nothing to build on. This is all Fantasy at this point. It is a Witch Hunt, a Demonizing, a feeding frenzy, with Zero Proof. No One is stopping to question. Back up. get your ducks lined up in a row, and show what you really have.

Well, I think the Cain camp has handled this about as bad as they could have. And Cain hasn't helped himself any. Should we ever find out the real truth we will probably find that he hit on the girls. I suppose that is called sexual harassment today. But what we won't find is a blue dress......

Jillian Wrote:
no. you're not reading me right. willow said that she held him up for money and basically extorted funds from him. i said she should be able to tell her side of the story, since he's talking about it.

I think the problem here is that Cain thought he could get away with hiding this. I think the one thing we should learn about politics is that if you run for that office, EVERYTHING in your life is an open book. They will literally overturn every stone in your life, even ones that were painted over 30 years ago. This is doubly true if you are the Republican.

Remember 2000? The last few days of the campaign, the story of Bush's DUI came out, and his six point lead on Al Gore melted away. It's something he SHOULD have gotten out in the open and out of the way ahead of time.

Cain was warned 10 days ago that this was coming. I'm willing to accept his explanation that this was probably a misunderstanding, these things happen. The very fact that the woman only got a five figure settlement tells me she barely had a leg to stand on.

But Cain has made it a lot worse for himself by not having his story straight, trying to minimilize it and looking like he had something to hide.

Again, show your proof or wait until you have some. All you have is compound speculation based on false premise. You have spin. When you unravel it, there is nothing there.

Well, I think the Cain camp has handled this about as bad as they could have. And Cain hasn't helped himself any. Should we ever find out the real truth we will probably find that he hit on the girls. I suppose that is called sexual harassment today. But what we won't find is a blue dress......

If I had to guess, I would bet that many of these incidents were alcohol-related.

Mark Levin

What is really absurd here is that without a copy of the Complaint or the Settlement, they have nothing to build on. This is all Fantasy at this point. It is a Witch Hunt, a Demonizing, a feeding frenzy, with Zero Proof. No One is stopping to question. Back up. get your ducks lined up in a row, and show what you really have.

I'm hearing on MSNBC that one woman is trying to get out of her confidentiality agreement now. She does want to come forward.

If too many come forward it will be overkill imo. Her story will be lost in the shuffle.

Forum List

Back