Bye-Bye Hillary?

lilcountriegal

Oct 24, 2003
Pennsylvania
I think if this proves to be true, Hillary will be on her way out. If she chooses not to run for President in 2004, and Rudy runs against her for Senate in 2006 and wins, it will be devastating to her political career. She'll have two years after 2006 to try and save face from being on a losing ticket. I'm not a New Yorker, but after what Giuliani did to clean up the city and post 9/11, he'll be a shoo-in if he runs against her in 2006.

GOP sources: Rudy 'to run against Hillary'
Republican insiders tell Los Angeles Times columnist it's 'basically a done deal'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: December 21, 2003
7:40 p.m. Eastern

A columnist for the Los Angeles Times indicates former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani will likely challenge Hillary Clinton in 2006 for her seat in the U.S. Senate.

"Two well-placed GOP insiders say it's 'basically a done deal,'" writes John Ellis, a partner in a venture capital firm in New York City and first cousin to Florida Gov. Jeb Bush. "This would be the Super Bowl of Senate races and a dramatic 'wild card' lead-in to the 2008 presidential election. Only one of the principals could advance to the next level."

Giuliani sought to run against Mrs. Clinton in 2000, but withdrew from the race as he underwent a personal battle against prostate cancer.

The former mayor has been silent on any plan for 2006, most recently telling radio host Don Imus on Friday he still had not come to any decision.

In today's column, Ellis says Giuliani would overcome any reservations held by conservative Republicans for his pro-choice and pro-homosexual stances if he were to oust the former first lady from the Senate:

He would have slain the dragon, and slaying the dragon would bestow upon him exalted status. Major points of difference with the GOP's core constituencies – like the sanctity of life (abortion) and the evolution of mankind (stem cell research) – would become much less disqualifying.
Red State Republicans – those from the GOP stronghold states – could learn to love Rudy in a New York minute if he beat Hillary.

And make no mistake about it, Giuliani wants them to love him. He wants to play on the national GOP stage. His leadership in the city after the World Trade Center massacre made him a national hero, and he has leveraged that status skillfully these last two years. He has published a best-selling book, established a lucrative consulting practice, built a strong political bridge to the Bush administration and emerged as a huge GOP campaign asset. Indeed, after President Bush, Giuliani was widely seen as the most productive Republican campaigner of the 2002 midterm election cycle.

Sen. Clinton has repeatedly said she would not run for president in 2004, but some analysts have suggested she would jump into the contest under a "draft Hillary" scenario at the Democratic convention if there's no clear front-runner for the party.

Others, including WorldNetDaily editor Joseph Farah, have gone on the record saying Hillary will run regardless of the convention maneuvering only because polls have shown the nomination is hers for the asking.

Ellis writes the looming entry of Giuliani into the 2006 Senate race muddies Hillary's presidential possibilities, especially if she were to become part of the 2004 ticket for the Democrats.

"A national race might elevate her stature – but being part of a losing ticket can tarnish one's brand and diminish future prospects," says Ellis. "She probably will protect her base first and worry about the national pieces later."

Cheney has already agreed to run again with Bush.

As far as Rudy running... go for it! I think he would be a good senator - a little too liberal socially, but a very common-sense man. He would be a fine addition to New York's delegation.

Hillary, IMO, will run for the White House in '08 even if she does lose against Rudy in'06, but I think the competition in the primary would not give her the nomination automatically if she lost. Not to mention, if Hillary runs for re-election, she'll have to address her Presidential intentions - why elect a senator who will only serve two years, as Hillary would almost definitely like to do?

I think we will have heard the last of Hillary after '08.

The time may be ticking for Sen.hillary, I dont see her beating Rudy, not a chance. the surprise will be at the dem convention and I am going to be surprised if she does not get the nomination. out of the 9 fellows currently in the swimming pool, hillary has the drain plug in her hand and I feel she cant wait to pull it. my one question, who has she publicly came out in support of?

I don't think she has specifically endorsed anyone, but Wesley Clark is openly known as the Clinton-backed candidate out of the Nine.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
Cheney has already agreed to run again with Bush.

As far as Rudy running... go for it! I think he would be a good senator - a little too liberal socially, but a very common-sense man. He would be a fine addition to New York's delegation.

Hillary, IMO, will run for the White House in '08 even if she does lose against Rudy in'06, but I think the competition in the primary would not give her the nomination automatically if she lost. Not to mention, if Hillary runs for re-election, she'll have to address her Presidential intentions - why elect a senator who will only serve two years, as Hillary would almost definitely like to do?

I think we will have heard the last of Hillary after '08.

I'm confused. Care to educate a Canadian? When do all the elections in the US happen? Are senate, house and president all done at the same time or in different waves. I get the impression that at the very least that the senate and presidential elections are at different times.

Hey Isaac, a senator's term is 6 years, 2 senators from every state. Only a 3rd of the senate seats are up for election on a cycle of every 2 years. Presidential term last 4 years, so every presidential election there will also be a 3rd of the senate running for election as well as the entire house of represenatives.
Hope that helps.:)

Originally posted by MtnBiker
Hey Isaac, a senator's term is 6 years, 2 senators from every state. Only a 3rd of the senate seats are up for election on a cycle of every 2 years. Presidential term last 4 years, so every presidential election there will also be a 3rd of the senate running for election as well as the entire house of represenatives.
Hope that helps.:)

Thanks! I did not know that... Crazy, but at least you guys can elect your Senate!

Originally posted by jon_forward
The time may be ticking for Sen.hillary, I dont see her beating Rudy, not a chance. the surprise will be at the dem convention and I am going to be surprised if she does not get the nomination. out of the 9 fellows currently in the swimming pool, hillary has the drain plug in her hand and I feel she cant wait to pull it. my one question, who has she publicly came out in support of?
If Rudy were going to win as senator, the only chance he had was when he came off the 09/11 high. If she were to run against Rudy today, he'd lose. He's not going to get any of the Westchester or outerborough votes. Nor, do I think, he'd capture much of Rockland or the upper counties. They are traditionally democrat.

As much as I would like to see her lose every new election, she won't. The people of NY that vote for her, deserve her. Unfortunately, there are a lot of them.

I also think there are enough people in this country stupid enough to vote for her for president...I can only hope that Schumer continues his ego trip and scuttles her.

I think if this proves to be true, Hillary will be on her way out. If she chooses not to run for President in 2004, and Rudy runs against her for Senate in 2006 and wins, it will be devastating to her political career. She'll have two years after 2006 to try and save face from being on a losing ticket. I'm not a New Yorker, but after what Giuliani did to clean up the city and post 9/11, he'll be a shoo-in if he runs against her in 2006.

Republican insiders tell Los Angeles Times columnist it's 'basically a done deal'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A columnist for the Los Angeles Times indicates former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani will likely challenge Hillary Clinton in 2006 for her seat in the U.S. Senate.

"Two well-placed GOP insiders say it's 'basically a done deal,'" writes John Ellis, a partner in a venture capital firm in New York City and first cousin to Florida Gov. Jeb Bush. "This would be the Super Bowl of Senate races and a dramatic 'wild card' lead-in to the 2008 presidential election. Only one of the principals could advance to the next level."

Giuliani sought to run against Mrs. Clinton in 2000, but withdrew from the race as he underwent a personal battle against prostate cancer.

The former mayor has been silent on any plan for 2006, most recently telling radio host Don Imus on Friday he still had not come to any decision.

In today's column, Ellis says Giuliani would overcome any reservations held by conservative Republicans for his pro-choice and pro-homosexual stances if he were to oust the former first lady from the Senate:

He would have slain the dragon, and slaying the dragon would bestow upon him exalted status. Major points of difference with the GOP's core constituencies – like the sanctity of life (abortion) and the evolution of mankind (stem cell research) – would become much less disqualifying.
Red State Republicans – those from the GOP stronghold states – could learn to love Rudy in a New York minute if he beat Hillary.

And make no mistake about it, Giuliani wants them to love him. He wants to play on the national GOP stage. His leadership in the city after the World Trade Center massacre made him a national hero, and he has leveraged that status skillfully these last two years. He has published a best-selling book, established a lucrative consulting practice, built a strong political bridge to the Bush administration and emerged as a huge GOP campaign asset. Indeed, after President Bush, Giuliani was widely seen as the most productive Republican campaigner of the 2002 midterm election cycle.

Sen. Clinton has repeatedly said she would not run for president in 2004, but some analysts have suggested she would jump into the contest under a "draft Hillary" scenario at the Democratic convention if there's no clear front-runner for the party.

Others, including WorldNetDaily editor Joseph Farah, have gone on the record saying Hillary will run regardless of the convention maneuvering only because polls have shown the nomination is hers for the asking.

Ellis writes the looming entry of Giuliani into the 2006 Senate race muddies Hillary's presidential possibilities, especially if she were to become part of the 2004 ticket for the Democrats.

"A national race might elevate her stature – but being part of a losing ticket can tarnish one's brand and diminish future prospects," says Ellis. "She probably will protect her base first and worry about the national pieces later."

Wow... talk about necroposts...

Wow... talk about necroposts...

:banana:

Forum List

Back