Buy Your Own?

JohnDB

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2021
So...
How much of your furniture have you bought?

How much was gifts from family members?

How many pieces were handed down from other family members?

How many were salvaged pieces from the curb as someone was throwing them away?

How many were pieces you assembled with an easy 274 step-by-step instruction manual?

When I first got married it was cheap box store stuff, hand me downs, used furniture and even glorified boxes and boards

Now that I am retired, I have good quality new stuff

Most of my wood furniture, I buy from the Amish

How much was gifts from family members?

All that junk when to The Goodwill ...

brady-bunch.jpg

When I first got married it was cheap box store stuff, hand me downs, used furniture and even glorified boxes and boards

Now that I am retired, I have good quality new stuff

Most of my wood furniture, I buy from the Amish
Our bedroom suite, dining room, and rocker-recliners in the upstairs living room are Amish.

Our bedroom suite, dining room, and rocker-recliners in the upstairs living room are Amish.

All my bedrooms are Amish furniture as is my dining room furniture and end tables
My outdoor furniture and mailbox are also Amish

I love it
Most of it will last 100 years

IKEA stuff might last you 10

All my bedrooms are Amish furniture as is my dining room furniture and end tables
My outdoor furniture and mailbox are also Amish

I love it
Most of it will last 100 years

IKEA stuff might last you 10
By the way, the above should read "downstairs or basement floor", consisting of the family room/entertainment room. We went quality for the rest of the home as well except for the kids' rooms. It's higher-end-put-together, you know, for peace of mind, for safety, for function. They're too young for the good stuff. ;) The bedroom suite and dining room furniture were a lifetime investment.

The living room suite is fine wood furishing too, a wedding gift given from my wife's parents.

Last edited:
There's a couple different styles of Amish furniture.

So much of it is assembly line patterns same as any other furniture manufacturer...
BUT.

There also are a few manufacturers/craftsman that use no pattern. They just know what they are doing. That stuff is nice stuff. I noticed a few who were trying but they really didn't have the talent.
But that individual craftsmanship stuff that was nice wasn't exactly inexpensive either...$11,000 for a chair. And you couldn't sit at a table with it either.

There's a couple different styles of Amish furniture.

So much of it is assembly line patterns same as any other furniture manufacturer...
BUT.

There also are a few manufacturers/craftsman that use no pattern. They just know what they are doing. That stuff is nice stuff. I noticed a few who were trying but they really didn't have the talent.
But that individual craftsmanship stuff that was nice wasn't exactly inexpensive either...$11,000 for a chair. And you couldn't sit at a table with it either.
We didn't go that much but the dining room set and bedroom suite were 13 grand, and the two rocking-gliders were $2500. I know it's possible to spend lots more.

We didn't go that much but the dining room set and bedroom suite were 13 grand, and the two rocking-gliders were $2500. I know it's possible to spend lots more.
The biggest thing is that it's possible to purchase craftsman made furniture from them. For the USA, home of the assembly line and massed produced goods it's going to be possible to purchase a unique piece of furniture that will hold it's value.

The market for truly custom, craftsman made furniture is really small though. Usually price keeps most people away. Hardwoods are at ridiculous prices at the moment...if you can actually obtain them.

Then leather accents and other hand carved features only add to the cost and beauty.

Jeremy Clarkson, when trying to disparage a person, once remarked, "I bet you are so poor you bought all of your furniture". (Brits are a bit odd).

The biggest thing is that it's possible to purchase craftsman made furniture from them. For the USA, home of the assembly line and massed produced goods it's going to be possible to purchase a unique piece of furniture that will hold it's value.

The market for truly custom, craftsman made furniture is really small though. Usually price keeps most people away. Hardwoods are at ridiculous prices at the moment...if you can actually obtain them.

Then leather accents and other hand carved features only add to the cost and beauty.

Jeremy Clarkson, when trying to disparage a person, once remarked, "I bet you are so poor you bought all of your furniture". (Brits are a bit odd).
Indeed, I'm no expert but I understand the difference. The above is of the patterned craftsman quality, and that was the purchase price several years ago. It's value has increased but not as much as the fully costumed living room set gifted to us by her folks. Her folks are seriously loaded.:D

I love and appreciate everything beautiful I have and that is probably because I earned it by working hard and working smart. I like paying my own way and never feeling indebted to anyone for anything. No one has given me anything. :backpedal:

Forum List

Back