Bush's Republicans prepare for their 'dirty war' on Kerry

T

TheOne

Bush's Republicans prepare for their 'dirty war' on Kerry
By Andrew Buncombe in Washington
02 August 2004

President George Bush's senior strategists have vowed to use the month of August to mount derisive and personal attacks on the Democratic candidate John Kerry in what is becoming an increasingly bitter election campaign.

August is traditionally a sleepy and politically quiet month, even in election years, but both sides have said they cannot afford to break off from campaigning, even for the Olympic Games.

With Mr Kerry enjoying a bounce of about 4 per cent from last week's Democratic convention in Boston, Mr Bush's aides said they will campaign on the President's record and his agenda for a second term.

But reports indicate they will also directly attack Mr Kerry, trying to divert attention from what they say was his brief, four-month tour in Vietnam 30 years ago. This will culminate with the Republican convention in New York at the end of the month in which Mr Kerry will be portrayed as a flip-flopping object of humour and derision.

article

and those ads paid for by the soft money will be all sweetness and light... :cool:

Kathianne said:
and those ads paid for by the soft money will be all sweetness and light... :cool:

Bush should run on his record and be more optimistic. Don't you agree? That is, unless he has nothing to run on. I don't think Bush will attract undecideds with more negative campaigning. Maybe he has nothing to run on?

TheOne said:
Bush should run on his record and be more optimistic. Don't you agree? That is, unless he has nothing to run on. I don't think Bush will attract undecideds with more negative campaigning. Maybe he has nothing to run on?

and maybe he has been? Take a look at the Springfield, MO. speech from Friday. I know I'll be looking at the blue book of Kerry's postions. Supposed to be found on his website. Should be a fun couple of months. :cheers2:

that's got to be the most unfounded article/headline I have ever seen. There are no quotes from anyone who would know supporting the claim that they are preparing "personal" attacks, nothing.

This article is not even worthy of refutation.

Moi said:
that's got to be the most unfounded article/headline I have ever seen. There are no quotes from anyone who would know supporting the claim that they are preparing "personal" attacks, nothing.

This article is not even worthy of refutation.

The NYT had similar yesterday. Both fail to mention that August is when the Soros, Moveon, Tides $ will be spent. They are inane. :wtf:

Kathianne said:
The NYT had similar yesterday. Both fail to mention that August is when the Soros, Moveon, Tides $ will be spent. They are inane. :wtf:

It's one thing when soft money organizations operate outside of official campaign control. It's an entirely different thing when official campaign people do things.

TheOne said:
It's one thing when soft money organizations operate outside of official campaign control. It's an entirely different thing when official campaign people do things.

:laugh: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mm:

TheOne said:

I don't think it is, especially when people like Clinton and Gore have been so active with MoveOn.org. Kerry will use the technicality that it's them and not him saying things, but I bet he doesn't try to distance himself from it to much either.

Speaking of running on a record, exactly how is Kerry running on his record? His "record" thus far seems to be four months in Vietnam. How about a little more emphasis on his quarter of a century in the senate. Then again, I suppose he accomplished more during those four months. By all means, lets make this a campaign totally running on records.

The Dems seem to be hoping everyone has bad memories. For several weeks up to and during the primary elections, Democrats did little but bash President Bush. Meanwhile, Bush was talking about things like jobs and the economy. The second he fires the smallest shot back, the Dems start saying, "Oh, but we want to talk about the issues."

Kerry and the Democrats have run one of the most hateful, pessimistic campaigns I've ever seen, and in what is typical fashion for them this year, try to blame Republicans and President Bush for running a negative campaign. Sorry, I don't think anyone here is stupid enough to believe that. Then again....

I guess that's why they have to say: "I'm candidate and I approve of this message"

So, what you're saying is, telling the truth about John Kerry is a dirty, despicable campaign tactic. O.K. Just so we're clear.

Yes, apparently saying anything about your opponent is "negative campaigning." I say it's a great way to draw a distinction between candidates. I want to know what bills Kerry voted for and against. I want to know which bills Bush signed, supported, opposed, and/or vetoed. (I know he's never vetoed anything - to his shame.) I want to know where candidates stand on the issues. That's good information that people should know. It's not negative.

gop_jeff said:
Yes, apparently saying anything about your opponent is "negative campaigning." I say it's a great way to draw a distinction between candidates. I want to know what bills Kerry voted for and against. I want to know which bills Bush signed, supported, opposed, and/or vetoed. (I know he's never vetoed anything - to his shame.) I want to know where candidates stand on the issues. That's good information that people should know. It's not negative.

Why not talk about the good things you have done and what your plans are going forward. I have yet to even hear what Bush's plans for a second term are because he wasted all his money slamming Kerry and getting no traction.

TheOne said:
Why not talk about the good things you have done and what your plans are going forward. I have yet to even hear what Bush's plans for a second term are because he wasted all his money slamming Kerry and getting no traction.

So, the Republicans should be all sweetness and light while John Kerry, George Soros, MM, and Co., portray Geroge Bush as a combination of Adolph Hitler, Ted Bundy, and the doddering, bubble-dwelling Howard Hughes. Positive campaigning has to start someplace, right?

musicman said:
So, the Republicans should be all sweetness and light while John Kerry, George Soros, MM, and Co., portray Geroge Bush as a combination of Adolph Hitler, Ted Bundy, and the doddering, bubble-dwelling Howard Hughes. Positive campaigning has to start someplace, right?

hey Musicman, already have directed him to the Springfield, MO speech. No slams there and lots of 'what's been accomplished', he doesn't listen....

Kathianne said:
hey Musicman, already have directed him to the Springfield, MO speech. No slams there and lots of 'what's been accomplished', he doesn't listen....

Link?

NM, found it.

There'll be big differences in this campaign. They're going to raise your taxes; we're not.

A lie by the way...

They somehow believe the heart and soul of America can be found in Hollywood. The heart and soul of America is found right here in Springfield, Missouri.

Whatever that means..

That's why last September, when our troops were in combat in both Afghanistan and Iraq, I proposed supplemental funding to support them in their missions. The legislation provided for body armor and vital equipment, hazard pay, health benefits, ammunition, fuel, spare parts. In the Senate, only a handful of what I would call out-of-the- mainstream folks — that would be 12 senators — voted against that legislation. Two of the 12 are my opponent and his running mate.

(BOOING)

He tried to explain his vote by saying, "I actually did vote for the $87 billion before I voted against it," end quote.

(LAUGHTER)

He's got a different explanation now. One time he said he was proud he voted against the funding. Then he said the whole thing was a complicated matter

You were saying?

TheOne said:
NM, found it.

A lie by the way...

Which part fo you consider a lie? Kerry has already said that he doesn't want to keep Bush's tax cuts; therefore, Kerry will raise our taxes from the current level. Bush doesn't want to raise taxes at all; in fact, he has called for more tax cuts. So again, which part is a lie?

Well, there you have it. Bush is quoting Kerry. Using his own idiocy agaist him. That's as dirty, negative, and underhanded as it gets.

Forum List

Back