CDZ Burkini ban overturned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should women be forced to wear bikini's at a beach?

In free societies, we have choices of what to wear. We have cultural guidelines on MINIMAL standards (cover up the naughty bits) but we've never had cultural guidelines mandating maximum standards (ie you are not allowed to cover your legs and arms). We have some standards that come into play with the requirements of certain professions or public safety, but other than that we are free to choose.

Why, suddenly, is that freedom of choice being removed from certain classes of people?

One group calls it "oppression of women". Yet, isn't removing choice "oppression"? People who bring this up think there is never any choice when it comes to Muslims. They don't make the same argument for other religions where observent women are required to cover their heads and wear long sleeved clothing that covers their legs out of respect for their religious views on modesty.

The French tried to ban "burkinis" - but why? Should a woman be forced to wear a body baring bathing suit against her will any more then she should be forced to don a burka?

Banning burkas is more understandable - public safety comes into it. But burkinis?

The reason is very simple; because people are disgusted with islamism already...

How rational they claim to be, human beings are irrational creatures at the end of the day.
Nobody should expect French to go through a long reasoning process before reacting to certain stimuli put out there by the islamist ideology.

This is just the beginning...

Court might have overturned this ban, based on the laws...
But remember;
people have the power to make new laws, or change current laws...

This is going to get uglier in the near future...

So, because people hate muslims, that legitimizes discrimmination and curtailing their basic rights in a free society?

In free societies, we have choices of what to wear. We have cultural guidelines on MINIMAL standards (cover up the naughty bits) but we've never had cultural guidelines mandating maximum standards (ie you are not allowed to cover your legs and arms). We have some standards that come into play with the requirements of certain professions or public safety, but other than that we are free to choose.

Why, suddenly, is that freedom of choice being removed from certain classes of people?

One group calls it "oppression of women". Yet, isn't removing choice "oppression"? People who bring this up think there is never any choice when it comes to Muslims. They don't make the same argument for other religions where observent women are required to cover their heads and wear long sleeved clothing that covers their legs out of respect for their religious views on modesty.

The French tried to ban "burkinis" - but why? Should a woman be forced to wear a body baring bathing suit against her will any more then she should be forced to don a burka?

Banning burkas is more understandable - public safety comes into it. But burkinis?

The reasoning was the head was covered. Rendering facial recognition software for surveillance video useless.

Sad state of affairs we live in when you can't even trust Muslim women who are swimming.

A burkini does not cover the face. Did they propose banning bathing caps?

Screen-Shot-2016-08-25-at-09.30.32-640x480.png

I thought the cap was part of the overall outfit??

Of course. But people wear bathing caps who do not wear burkinis. Did they propose banning bathing caps?

That I don't know.

The larger point though is, these damn Muslims need to better job of attempting to assimilate into their adoptive countries.

AND they need to do a better job of showing sympathy for the security concerns of the people around them..

The reasoning was the head was covered. Rendering facial recognition software for surveillance video useless.

Sad state of affairs we live in when you can't even trust Muslim women who are swimming.

Of course. But people wear bathing caps who do not wear burkinis. Did they propose banning bathing caps?

That I don't know.

The larger point though is, these damn Muslims need to better job of attempting to assimilate into their adoptive countries.

AND they need to do a better job of showing sympathy for the security concerns of the people around them..

How do you know they aren't? The burkini has zip to do with security.

That I don't know.

I have no idea what the burkini ban was about. I was more speaking in general though.

The reason is very simple; because people are disgusted with islamism already...

How rational they claim to be, human beings are irrational creatures at the end of the day.
Nobody should expect French to go through a long reasoning process before reacting to certain stimuli put out there by the islamist ideology.

But remember;

So, because people hate muslims, that legitimizes discrimmination and curtailing their basic rights in a free society?

We are not talking about muslim people or islam as a religion.
We are talking about islamism, as an ideology, that is in wide spread hardcore action today on our planet.
And when it is a decision revolved around survival, for a human being, legitimacy would render useless and meaningless, just like that face recognition application...
Dont underestimate the basic human instincts. For european people, ideals and instincts are on a crash course...
We shall see the results in a very near future... I don't expect a rational result out of this, thats I would bet...

But remember;

We are talking about islamism, as an ideology, that is in wide spread hardcore action today on our planet.
And when it is a decision revolved around survival, for a human being, legitimacy would render useless and meaningless, just like that face recognition application...
Dont underestimate the basic human instincts. For european people, ideals and instincts are on a crash course...
We shall see the results in a very near future... I don't expect a rational result out of this, thats I would bet...

We're talking about burkini's and free choice.

That I don't know.

I have no idea what the burkini ban was about. I was more speaking in general though.

Banning face covering clothing is understandable - there are legitimate safety and security reasons for that, but that doesn't extend to hijabs or burkini's.

And come on - would you rather see a 300 lb woman in a burkini or a bikini?

That I don't know.

Banning face covering clothing is understandable - there are legitimate safety and security reasons for that, but that doesn't extend to hijabs or burkini's.

And come on - would you rather see a 300 lb woman in a burkini or a bikini?

I'd rather not see the 300 lb woman at all.

As we know by now, the government and administration is completely out of touch with public feeling about Islam and hasn't got a clue how to control it either!

The popular move to ban burkinis was because quite rightly it reminded everybody of its link to fundamental Islam and all its problems and terrorism, including the latest atrocities in Nice.

French people go to the beach to relax and suddenly they see these alien apparitions lying next to them, which makes them feel very uncomfortable.

Also they wonder whether these people are intentionally making a religious statement or just couldn't care less.

Either way the French have the right to insist on their culture not being swamped by the barbaric culture of the 7th century.

Any way,what is so wrong and impure with a woman's body that Islam demeans it by insisting that it must be completely covered up or beaten at its master's will?

At last a bit of sanity is prevailing and the people have told the authorities they are not going to listen to their PC cowardly garbage and are going to do it their way!

Good luck to them and continue your defiance against Islam and the ridiculous authorities.

French resorts defiant as top court suspends burkini ban

France's top court suspends burkini ban

I'm an atheist and I have no love for Islam, or silly religious traditions. That said, telling people what to wear at the beach is incredibly stupid. French court checked the overreach of the French executive govt. here, and that will do more to stem the tide of Islamic extremism than the ban itself.

What say you?
The ‘banning’ of ‘burkinis’ is yet another ridiculous manifestation of the bigoted right.

The notion that such attire represents the ‘Islamization’ of Europe is as ignorant as it is hateful and wrong.

‘The ruling by the Council of State found that the ban in Villeneuve-Loubet "seriously and clearly illegally breached fundamental freedoms".’

France burkini ban: Mayors urged to heed court's ruling - BBC News

Exactly.

I'm an atheist and I have no love for Islam, or silly religious traditions. That said, telling people what to wear at the beach is incredibly stupid. French court checked the overreach of the French executive govt. here, and that will do more to stem the tide of Islamic extremism than the ban itself.

What say you?
The ‘banning’ of ‘burkinis’ is yet another ridiculous manifestation of the bigoted right.

The notion that such attire represents the ‘Islamization’ of Europe is as ignorant as it is hateful and wrong.

‘The ruling by the Council of State found that the ban in Villeneuve-Loubet "seriously and clearly illegally breached fundamental freedoms".’

France burkini ban: Mayors urged to heed court's ruling - BBC News

Exactly.

LULZ is there anything you won't blame on "the right?" I bet you blame Trump, eh?

But remember;

We're talking about burkini's and free choice.

Burkini is the representation of islamism, alongside lots of other symbols.
Not all muslims wear it, nor like people who wear it...
If majority europeans set islamism as an enemy in their minds,
there is no turning back for anything that would represent it, including burkinis...

Of course I would wish western ideology to prevail at the end.
Who doesnt want to live in a society with reason, shaped around ideals, like free choice.
But reality is far from that, unfortunately...

And this ban is a solid example of it...

Its the right decision. Nobody should be able to tell you what to wear.

Really? If you go to a host of Muslim countries, and you're a woman, you're taking your life in your hands if you don't wear a head covering.
This fails as a red herring fallacy, as well as a false comparison fallacy.

The issue concerns French law and the rights of citizens in France, having nothing to do with ‘Muslim countries’.

And what might occur in ‘Muslim countries’ has no bearing whatsoever with regard to the law in France, nor that what might occur in ‘Muslim countries’ in anyway excuses or mitigates the fact that French towns which banned the swimwear were in violation of French law.

Its the right decision. Nobody should be able to tell you what to wear.

Really? If you go to a host of Muslim countries, and you're a woman, you're taking your life in your hands if you don't wear a head covering.
This fails as a red herring fallacy, as well as a false comparison fallacy.

The issue concerns French law and the rights of citizens in France, having nothing to do with ‘Muslim countries’.

And what might occur in ‘Muslim countries’ has no bearing whatsoever with regard to the law in France, nor that what might occur in ‘Muslim countries’ in anyway excuses or mitigates the fact that French towns which banned the swimwear were in violation of French law.

Since what Muslims do in France does not happen in a vacuum everything you just posted is false. Of course it is all related and relevant.

Last edited:

What say you?
Um, I an a atheist, too. I generally don't care either. Western counties should allow burkins, And Muslim countries should allow atheistic free thought . Is that gonna happen?

All politics and religion aside, it is quite odd to see people get ticketed for wearing clothes rather than being almost naked. If you check on the bathing suits from the early 1900's they were almost all full body clothing as the 'burkinis' are today and bikinis would have been illegal. Which just points out one culture is about 100 years behind in the swimwear department.

It just seems weird to say to a woman "you aren't naked enough for this beach".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back