Bulletproof Coffee

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
Has anyone who drinks coffee here ever tried it? Ever heard of it? It has gotten a lot of hype but I've never had it. I bought a jug of their creamer as it is much healthier and has no sugar in it, and from a taste perspective, it is a 10/10. Their serving size (one large scoop) is just ridiculous, that's 2 1/2 tsp.

The coffee has oil and butter added, just like the creamer, no sugar.

There stuff is pretty pricey.
Cant remember what they called it but I ordered some dark roast and I was totally underwhelmed.
It was the weakest dark roast I've ever had.

There stuff is pretty pricey.
Cant remember what they called it but I ordered some dark roast and I was totally underwhelmed.
It was the weakest dark roast I've ever had.
Dark roast by nature just tastes like washed burnt rubber. I'm not a fan.

Arabica beans have several grades and sizes.
Specialty beans are the highest quality...and each has a unique processing to them depending upon the country of origin.

Columbian beans (like Brazil) are water processed. The cherry is removed by crushing and washing. Ethiopian coffee is not water processed. So it tends to be more acidic and "fruity". Some even taste like skittles.

Selecting a roasting profile and temperature (all CNC these days by laptop) is the job of a master roaster with a good nose and tasting ability. Each year the beans change. Each lot is different too. (Agricultural product)

The best is by getting from a small roaster who knows his stuff....then having someone who knows exactly how to grind and brew. Then expect a completely different set of offerings next year. Because the beans from last year are gone.

Dark roast by nature just tastes like washed burnt rubber. I'm not a fan.

Arabica beans have several grades and sizes.
Specialty beans are the highest quality...and each has a unique processing to them depending upon the country of origin.

Columbian beans (like Brazil) are water processed. The cherry is removed by crushing and washing. Ethiopian coffee is not water processed. So it tends to be more acidic and "fruity". Some even taste like skittles.

Selecting a roasting profile and temperature (all CNC these days by laptop) is the job of a master roaster with a good nose and tasting ability. Each year the beans change. Each lot is different too. (Agricultural product)

The best is by getting from a small roaster who knows his stuff....then having someone who knows exactly how to grind and brew. Then expect a completely different set of offerings next year. Because the beans from last year are gone.

I'm well aware of the different methods and the different flavors and different types of coffee.
I've been roasting my own coffee for the last two decades although I'll occasionally buy pre roasted beans if it's a new brand that seems intriguing.
I also have the Rancilio Silvia espresso machine as well as the Rancillio Rocky cone burr grinder which is no slouch and of course a quality grinder is a must for making Espresso.
I have a Behmor roaster.
And of course the best drip coffee maker on the market in a Technivorm.
Recently picked up a De'Longhi automatic espresso maker so the wife can make her own espresso.
I was surprised at how well it works. But then a $2500 dollar machine better make a decent product.

If you want to take up roasting your own beans I'd suggest Sweet Marias. They have all kinds of beans,grinders,roaster and coffee makers.

I'm well aware of the different methods and the different flavors and different types of coffee.
I've been roasting my own coffee for the last two decades although I'll occasionally buy pre roasted beans if it's a new brand that seems intriguing.
I also have the Rancilio Silvia espresso machine as well as the Rancillio Rocky cone burr grinder which is no slouch and of course a quality grinder is a must for making Espresso.
I have a Behmor roaster.
Recently picked up a De'Longhi automatic espresso maker so the wife can make her own espresso.
I was surprised at how well it works. But then a $2500 dollar machine better make a decent product.

If you want to take up roasting your own beans I'd suggest Sweet Marias. They have all kinds of beans,grinders,roaster and coffee makers.
I'm trying to remember the name of the 500g roaster we used in school. Just one Pound at a time and it's something that you really want to do in the garage or under a truly venting hood. But it was really responsive to my adjustments and the sensors tracked well. It also wasn't so noisy I couldn't hear first crack. (Came with software but you could use other plug ins on your laptop)

Really had a great time with that roaster.

But in the end we decided to hold off roasting. We bought a nice blended coffee from a local roaster. It had some Nicaragua, Ethiopian, and something else from Honduras.
My espresso machine was a LaMarzoco. But I was building a coffee shop. Had extra boosted steam....we could make great milk incredibly fast....like 10-15 seconds of steam and it was over. Closer to ten. My only complaint was that it had snap switches instead of paddles. You know....for the show. (Nothing like showing off for tips)

I do like the Rancillo machines....they make some great products. The DeLonghi I thought was kinda pricey....as you said. It ought to for that price.

I'm trying to remember the name of the 500g roaster we used in school. Just one Pound at a time and it's something that you really want to do in the garage or under a truly venting hood. But it was really responsive to my adjustments and the sensors tracked well. It also wasn't so noisy I couldn't hear first crack. (Came with software but you could use other plug ins on your laptop)

Really had a great time with that roaster.

But in the end we decided to hold off roasting. We bought a nice blended coffee from a local roaster. It had some Nicaragua, Ethiopian, and something else from Honduras.
My espresso machine was a LaMarzoco. But I was building a coffee shop. Had extra boosted steam....we could make great milk incredibly fast....like 10-15 seconds of steam and it was over. Closer to ten. My only complaint was that it had snap switches instead of paddles. You know....for the show. (Nothing like showing off for tips)

I do like the Rancillo machines....they make some great products. The DeLonghi I thought was kinda pricey....as you said. It ought to for that price.

Everyone thinks roasting coffee smells good....that tells you they've never been around when it's being roasted.
I roast indoors with the roaster sitting on the stove top and the vent running wide open. But yeah it can be a mess with all the skin thats light as a feather,I break out my small shop vac which makes it a lot easier to clean up.
I have to admit I'm using the DeLonghi a lot more than the Rancillio these days. It's so simple to use compared to the Silvia,no more running a couple shots before the machine is ready to go.
And the De'Longhi is self cleaning for the most part,it spits out the coffee puck into a reservoir and it tells you when it needs to be emptied.
I was shocked that the pucks come out in perfect shape with no blow throughs.
The milk reservoir self cleans by flushing hot water through it. And the reservoir is removable so you can put it in the fridge.
While it was pricey and I mainly bought it for the Wife I'm using it more than I thought I would.

I have a Behmor roaster.

Sounds like you should open up your own coffee shop, have one of those little craft coffee shops in an old brick building that everyone loves going to. One thing I've noticed about coffee shops is people just love to go to old, run down houses that are converted into coffee shops, and it often seems like the more run down the place is, the more traffic it gets, at least where I live. I've seen little nondescript coffee houses decide to move into a new building and the new place sat empty after being so popular before, and the shop ended up closing.

Sounds like you should open up your own coffee shop, have one of those little craft coffee shops in an old brick building that everyone loves going to. One thing I've noticed about coffee shops is people just love to go to old, run down houses that are converted into coffee shops, and it often seems like the more run down the place is, the more traffic it gets, at least where I live. I've seen little nondescript coffee houses decide to move into a new building and the new place sat empty after being so popular before, and the shop ended up closing.

Nah...I'm retired and want to stay that way.
Besides it's usually leftist that frequent those kinda places.

The only thing that matters about coffee is where the beans came from, and who grew them.
IMO - Cuba and Sumatra grow the best coffee beans.
Both are low in acid, but full of flavor. Now you can't get Cuban coffee in the U.S., not without some work involved.
But you can buy Sumatran. Just watch out for blends that have Sumatran plastered on the front, but is relaly an unknown % of Sumatra beans mixed with whatever they have.
100% Sumatran is about the best coffee you can get in America. Whole bean, fresh and oily.

The only thing that matters about coffee is where the beans came from, and who grew them.
IMO - Cuba and Sumatra grow the best coffee beans.
Both are low in acid, but full of flavor. Now you can't get Cuban coffee in the U.S., not without some work involved.
But you can buy Sumatran. Just watch out for blends that have Sumatran plastered on the front, but is relaly an unknown % of Sumatra beans mixed with whatever they have.
100% Sumatran is about the best coffee you can get in America. Whole bean, fresh and oily.

Love Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee but it's damn near impossible to get your hands on it.
Most of it goes to Japan for whatever reason.
One of the best things about visiting Jamaica is bringing home all the coffee allowed.

Good beans...then good roasting...then good grinding to get the particle size uniform. Then a good brew.

All these things are necessary for a really good cup of coffee.

I've tasted the difference between so-so beans and everything done so-so...then so-so beans roasted well, ground well and brewed well. The difference is amazing.

Good coffee requires a lot of things to be done exactly right. And about 80% of the coffee out there is not done well.
Especially when it comes to specialty coffee. People waste their money all day long. Especially the roasters...seen more specialty coffee messed up by them than is believable. Each bean harvest is different. No two are the same. If they taste the same to you it's because the roaster cooked all the flavors out. (Starbucks&bongo java& Kalis goat and etc)

Love Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee but it's damn near impossible to get your hands on it.
Most of it goes to Japan for whatever reason.
One of the best things about visiting Jamaica is bringing home all the coffee allowed.
I agree, I would say Jamaican is the 3rd best for me. And way down there somewhere... is Columbia. Bleh... acidic and acrid.

Good beans...then good roasting...then good grinding to get the particle size uniform. Then a good brew.

All these things are necessary for a really good cup of coffee.

I've tasted the difference between so-so beans and everything done so-so...then so-so beans roasted well, ground well and brewed well. The difference is amazing.

Good coffee requires a lot of things to be done exactly right. And about 80% of the coffee out there is not done well.
Especially when it comes to specialty coffee. People waste their money all day long. Especially the roasters...seen more specialty coffee messed up by them than is believable. Each bean harvest is different. No two are the same. If they taste the same to you it's because the roaster cooked all the flavors out. (Starbucks&bongo java& Kalis goat and etc)
Buying a quality burr grinder is worth the money. Cheap blade grinders shred the coffee and make it impossible to be uniformly ground.
We use the pour over method, and grind the beans right before. No need to buy a coffee maker. Pour over is quick and easy. And doesn't need electricity. And no paper filters to effect the flavor.

Has anyone who drinks coffee here ever tried it? Ever heard of it? It has gotten a lot of hype but I've never had it. I bought a jug of their creamer as it is much healthier and has no sugar in it, and from a taste perspective, it is a 10/10. Their serving size (one large scoop) is just ridiculous, that's 2 1/2 tsp.

The coffee has oil and butter added, just like the creamer, no sugar.
Mrs MO has been giving me bulletproof mushroom coffee. Definately has butter added, and heavy cream and monk fruit sweetener.

I enjoy it...

Forum List

Back