Bulgaria court recognises same-sex marriage in landmark ruling

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

A Bulgarian court has recognised a marriage between two women who married in France, the first time that a same-sex union has been acknowledged in the conservative country.

After a two-year court battle, Australian-born Cristina Palma has been granted the right to live and work in Bulgaria with her French wife Mariama Dialo.

The couple married in France in 2016 after 15 years together and later moved to Bulgaria.

In 2017, Palma’s application to continue her residency in the country was rejected after Bulgarian officials deemed her marriage invalid, arguing that same-sex unions are not legal in their country.

On the face of it this looks positive but only the influence of the EU gained this victory.It does nothing to help Bulgarian LGBT.
I suppose we should be optimistic and hope that the EU can do more to drag these backward Eastern European countries into the civilsed world.

[...]

On the face of it this looks positive but only the influence of the EU gained this victory.It does nothing to help Bulgarian LGBT.
I suppose we should be optimistic and hope that the EU can do more to drag these backward Eastern European countries into the civilsed world.

It's a possibly important precedent, under the principle of equality before the law, for the Bulgarian LGBT community. I would guess, it will be cited extensively in upcoming law suits.

Moreover, Tom, I've done so before, and will remind you again, that this talk about "backward" and "civilised", as applied to "countries", has implications you shouldn't embrace, as it harkens back to a colonial, racist and supremacist past. Bulgarian law may not have evolved enough, and is fair to criticize; a country is more than that.

[...]

It's a possibly important precedent, under the principle of equality before the law, for the Bulgarian LGBT community. I would guess, it will be cited extensively in upcoming law suits.

Moreover, Tom, I've done so before, and will remind you again, that this talk about "backward" and "civilised", as applied to "countries", has implications you shouldn't embrace, as it harkens back to a colonial, racist and supremacist past. Bulgarian law may not have evolved enough, and is fair to criticize; a country is more than that.
I knew you would pick me up on that.

Why is everybody always picking on me?

Whatever...

Bulgaria will be fine, as they'll evolve. When BoJo is done waddling through history with his Churchill shoes on (they could serve as boats for him), Britain will find itself to be the European backwater you suspect other countries to be.

How's that for on outlook?

Why is everybody always picking on me?

Whatever...

Bulgaria will be fine, as they'll evolve. When BoJo is done waddling through history with his Churchill shoes on (they could serve as boats for him), Britain will find itself to be the European backwater you suspect other countries to be.

How's that for on outlook?
I cant see him having much impact . He doesnt have the numbers to force his nonsense through and the last person to shut down the commons got his head chopped off.

I cant see him having much impact . He doesnt have the numbers to force his nonsense through and the last person to shut down the commons got his head chopped off.

We'll have to wait and see what emerges, but some things are pretty clear by now. For one, he'll normalize mendacity and buffoonery at a level as yet unknown in Britain - which is actually saying something. His hard-line Brexit cabinet points to some very unfortunate political developments, as does his having insulted practically every group in Britain and Europe with the exception of Brexiteers of the mouth-breathing variety. Replacing actually knowing his briefs with happy talk about a "Golden Age"... yeah, that'll work out well. It always does.

Whether or not he'll bring about a Brexit Party, compared to which UKIP will look reasonable, domineering UK politics, is the great unknown as of now, and only then we're really talking about his "impact".

Forum List

Back